Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The RockShox pilot on the 4900 is alot better than the judytt on the 4500. Also with the 4900 you get alot better wheels. The 4900 is $100 more but it is worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also Need Help 'what bike to buy'

Studied specs & check out Trek 4500, 4600 & 4900. Read a lot of mind blowing stuff on MTBR about the front derailluers on 4500 & Spram, Bontrager components on 4900. Now I am totally confused. I am to the point where I almost ready to give up & just keep wheeling on my old 94 Giant Yukon with a seat change. The dealers all want to sell you a bike and its hard to make an decision based on their recommendations.

I'm a 62 year old wheeler, 6 ft. 215 lbs, who rides 20-40 miles per ride, mostly on bike paths, white stone RR trails or quiet back roads. This ol'body probably wouldn't survive those ball bustin' offroad rides like the real MT bikers.But I love the feel of riding MT. Bikes over the light roadies.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a 4900 with the Pilot shock up front and i really enjoy it. I'm not sure what your 94 Giant has for components but I'd say that if all you really need is a new seat then get a new seat and ride the heck out of the bike until it rides no more. Put the money you save into good extras like a helmet and gloves and camelback

·
Registered
178 Posts
secamen said:
Studied specs & check out Trek 4500, 4600 & 4900. Read a lot of mind blowing stuff on MTBR about the front derailluers on 4500 & Spram, Bontrager components on 4900. Now I am totally confused. I am to the point where I almost ready to give up & just keep wheeling on my old 94 Giant Yukon with a seat change. The dealers all want to sell you a bike and its hard to make an decision based on their recommendations.

I'm a 62 year old wheeler, 6 ft. 215 lbs, who rides 20-40 miles per ride, mostly on bike paths, white stone RR trails or quiet back roads. This ol'body probably wouldn't survive those ball bustin' offroad rides like the real MT bikers.But I love the feel of riding MT. Bikes over the light roadies.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
why go 2 trek?

maybe because i am in australia, but i find that giants are better value spec for spec

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your Decision

Zoltan said:
What all do you get that is better on the 4900 than the 4500?
The bottom line is that pretty much everything on both bikes can and will wear out eventually. I have a 4500 but it is closer to an 8500 due to the upgrades I've put on it. I would be inclined to grab the 4500 because it is nearly as good as the 4900 and when you do have to replace stuff, it really wouldn't that much more expensive to upgrade to 4900 componentry if you so desire. BUT, The componentry is already basically the same. Same headset, handlebars, tires, derailleurs, shifter, cassette, stem, frame. You probly get the point. Yes, the 4900 has a better fork, but it isn't that much better. It has fairly fragile wheels that weigh less. It does have a slightly better crank, but my brother in law rides one, and I can outride him everytime. I know that has alot to do with physical conditioning, but the 4900 won't make you any better rider. I chose a 4500 and when it came time to upgrade, I just went to town with my upgrades and now I have a 4500 that is probly spec'd nicer than most high end hardtails. So, if you plan to upgrade anyway, then go with the 4500. If you don't plan to change a thing, then go with the 4900. Good Luck.
MIkey42186

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. You'r absolutely right. I am going to keep my giant and buy a new seat.
When the giant starts to go then I'll go for a new bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts