Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about purchasing a used TREK 4500 Alpha FourSeries hydraulic-brakes. NEW HYDRAULIC BRAKES, REMOTE LOCK FOR SUSPENSION FORK IN THE HANDLEBAR, 19"Frame. 26' Wheels. INCLUDES WIRELESS COMPUTER. EXTRA DURABLE DERAILLEURS CRANK SET-Asking price is $560.
Here is a link. Would this be a good beginner bike that I could eventually upgrade to better parts (fork, brakes, etc)
Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im 5'11. Im riding a 20" giant revel 3 right now and have surpassed its capabilities. I think this bike is a good buy, but want to know if there are some good forks out there form rockshox or Fox with a 120mm fork to upgrade to..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only real upgrade I see from my revel is disc brakes and adjustable fork. I was thinking about upgrading my giant but the costs to do disc brakes, wheels, and new fork would be more than what the trek 4500 would cost.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I rode a 4500 for about 6 months before I traded up. I had been on family-leave from riding for over 10 years, so I just wanted SOMETHING to ride. Great bike, I "surpassed its capabilities" quickly though. All the mods I wanted to do weren't worth it, got a used fuel that needed a complete overhaul in an even trade. I enjoy tinkering, so it worked out well. (I've since traded the fuel for a Turner...). Like moefosho said, that Trek is not much of a step up, and not much of a discount for being used.

The disc brakes are a big improvement and work well on that bike, but the rest isn't much of a step up. Go for the $1000-1500 (used) price-range and you'll have a bike for the next several years.

10x the bike at 3x the cost:

2011 26" SPECIALIZED mountain bike like new condition

(just an example)

If your budget has a hard-ceiling, keep looking, something a few years older with better components that needs some love will turn up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts