Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal, i have an '02 Trek 4500 that i love, great gearing, brakes, everything, the only thing i don't like is the Alivio deraileur system (which i understand are easily upgradable to the Deore XT models)

aside from a gel seat computer and fenders, it's stock, it does everything i want, and i'm satisfied with it, i ride it less than i should, but that changes this year, my new job is in downtown Dover, NH, and there's lots of stuff within biking distance, i plan to bike to lunch and do some after work biking, if i lived closer to work, i'd bike in, but as it stands it's a 30 minute drive in on slow back roads

however....

i went to my LBS to get the chain replaced (note to self, if you transport your MTB in the dead of winter on the back of the car on a bike rack, make sure to wash *ALL* the road salt off the bike, especially the chain), and the LBS had some killer deals on new MTB's, didn't realize how affordable they'd become

i saw both a Raleigh M80 and a K2 Zed 3.0 selling for $599, only a hundred or so above what i paid for my Trek 2 years ago, and these bikes have Deore XT components and *DISC* brakes, COOL!

i'm tempted to trade in my 4500 and get a new bike, any experience with either the M80 or Zed 3.0, how do they compare to the 4500?

then my practical side kicks in....
"you know, you're happy with the 4500, it fits you well, it's comfortable, it does what you want, you know it's reliable, why not upgrade the hardware on the Trek, it's a good solid frame, the gearset is geared just right, and it's a fun bike, upgrading would be a lot cheaper then getting a new bike, besides, you're never going to get back what you paid for the Trek....."

but, but, the bikes are *new* and *cooler* than mine....

look, there'll always be a newer, cooler bike out there, if you keep trading in, you'll *never* be happy, be happy with what you have, and upgrade the crap out of it....

so, should i listen to my impulsive side... "WANT NEW BIKE NOW!!!!" or my logical side...."it makes more sense, both logically and financially, to upgrade your existing bike"

right now, the logical side is winning....

what to do, what to do.....

·
No Pavement, No Problem!
25 Posts
I've never ridden a Raleigh but I have myself a K2 Zed 3.0 with the Deore XT parts and I like them. They are reliable and when newly adjusted and in working order do the job, but when worn they are miserable but never bind. The bike itself is incredibly strong and takes every pounding that I put it through. I would say go for it but hopefully someone has some insight for the Raleigh as well. I would pay attention to the suspension on it and also the rims. I'm about to replace all those parts myself but couldn't ask for a frame that takes the kind of pounding I put it through.

·
one less car
523 Posts
go with the upgrade. I have a '00 4500 that i use for winter riding. the chrome plating has worn off in some spots but it's still in decent condition. getting BB7s to replace the winzips I had laying around that came off my KHS. courtesy of an A2Z rear adaptor I got one BB7 already on. iffn you like your 45 so much, why get something to replace it? upgrade, lad, upgrade:ihih:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.