Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a trek 4500 about four years ago and i'm just now starting to get into mountain biking. i'm still learning about bikes but from what i understand the stock components on the 4500 are pretty poor. once i save up some money, what should be the first to be replaced?

·
Registered
116 Posts
chungaroo

I have an 2004 4500. Your bike may have somewhat different components due to it's age. Let me say this, my bike rides fairly nice (in my opinion) for the price I paid. I haven't had it long enough and I'm too new to MB to be able to make lots of easy upgrades just yet.

However, I do have a few opinions that my enhance your experience on the bike and not be a total waste of money.

1. Upgrade the pedals. I put some low end metal pedals with toe clips on the bike. I cannot justify the cost of (decient) clipless pedals and (decient) dedicated shoes but toe clips are a big improvement.

2. Seat, anything is better than the one that TREK supplies. I think I spent about $40.00 on a new one

That is the extent of my upgrades. I want to get an inexpensive computer soon. Maybe next year I will upgrade the front derailer to the deore like the rear, although the one that came with it has not been any trouble. Also, I would like to upgrade the crank/chain wheel. When/If I make any of the drive train upgrades, I will put my old stuff on my son or daughters bike. I wouldn't just throw away the old components. We have 4 mountain bikes, three of them are TREKS. If I stick with this sport/hobby long enough, I'm going to some time get a bike in the $1000.00 to $1200.00 range. A lot of it has to do with how much my kids participate in the hobby.

There is a lot of wisedom (in my opinion) in those on this board who advise in not upgrading an entry level bike. However, sometimes it's fun to just tinker with your stuff. I think this is ok as long as you don't go overboard. I live in an area where there are lots of advanced trails. I don't see me using them for quite some time. Having a bike that looks nice and performs fairly well is my goal it this time. I'm too old and have too many responsibilities to go boming the American Standard. This post is only my opinion.

Tom

chungaroo said:
i bought a trek 4500 about four years ago and i'm just now starting to get into mountain biking. i'm still learning about bikes but from what i understand the stock components on the 4500 are pretty poor. once i save up some money, what should be the first to be replaced?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts