Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting started in MTBing. Right now I have an old 199somthin Diamondback Ascent (hardtail, no shock fork) :p . It sucks. It is only a 19" frame and I am 6'5 and about 260lbs. I am looking at getting the Trek 4500 because the frame goes up to 24". I ride XC and I mainly stick to the trail. I'm not hardcore......yet :(

Is this 4500 right for me? If not, could you reccommend a better bike for under $600.

thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Zoltan said:
I am just getting started in MTBing. Right now I have an old 199somthin Diamondback Ascent (hardtail, no shock fork) :p . It sucks. It is only a 19" frame and I am 6'5 and about 260lbs. I am looking at getting the Trek 4500 because the frame goes up to 24". I ride XC and I mainly stick to the trail. I'm not hardcore......yet :(

Is this 4500 right for me? If not, could you reccommend a better bike for under $600.

thanks
Go to your LBS and test ride one. That's the best way of really knowing if the bikes going is going to fit you.

As I said before best bang for your buck would be a Giant. I think the Iguaua is in that $600 price range. The compoents are more less about the same between the two, but the Iguaua comes with a better fork I think.

Both bikes should be find for XC.

·
suck it trebeK
418 Posts
I am also relatively newb to MTBing and I have the Trek 4100. The 4500 is 2 steps up from mine, so you'll get an adjustable shock, and better front and rear derailleurs (maybe something else too im not sure). I'm using it as a bike to get better on, a kind of beater bike, and then will upgrade sometime in the future when my skills match :D So far it's been great for that purpose!

My only complaints are, my rear derailleur kind of sucks, but that may be my fault more because I'm not so good at adjusting the cables properly. Also, the front shock has almost no travel, and it's gotten a little loose (where the piston goes into the casing). But you get a better derailleur, and maybe an upgraded shock? The one on mine is a no-name 'Nsync'.

Either way, it's a great bike to get going with!

edit: BTW, I'm 6'2, and I think its a 21.5" frame I have, I forget.

·
beer *****es n' bikes
663 Posts
U V said:
i've just brought a 4500 and i have no complaits as of yet, exspect for the insane amount of stem spacers [over 2"!] and the overly short stem.

i'm rideing a 16" and i'm 6'2"
Dude, thats WAY too small for you. I ride a 19" and I am just a shade over 6'.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i actully dont reccomend the trek...

you cant swap chain rings, the cranks are crap.

id go with a specialized rock hopper comp...

available to you for around 500 at most, with clips

·
Registered
22 Posts
sstaurus said:
Why couldn't you swap drivetrain on the Trek?
because the chain rings are welded together... or something like that. I do know they arent swapable....

ill check it out next time im at the shop

·
Registered
301 Posts
rainmod said:
i actully dont reccomend the trek...

you cant swap chain rings, the cranks are crap.

id go with a specialized rock hopper comp...

available to you for around 500 at most, with clips
Crankset shouldn't really stop you from getting a bike. All bikes at this price range are going to have some low-end/no-name parts. Both Trek and Specialized make good bikes. Get the one that fits, then ride like you stole it. Upgrade parts as they break.

·
Ride lots...
891 Posts
Trek 4500

I reviewed this bike in the 2003 Hardtail section. Read reviews there to get a good idea on what to buy.

I would recommend the TREK 4500 for sure!! I have been riding one 3-4 times a week for about 7 months now and I love it. I'm 5'10" and 230lbs(started at 260lbs). The 4500 has held up great to the abuse I have thrown at it. I have never had any problems with it. Yeah, some of the components aren't the best, but what do you expect for a little over $400?

The Rockshox JudyTT fork is a real piece of crap. The adjustability feature is pretty much a joke, seeing as the fork only has 2-3 inches of realistic travel. But once again, what do you expect for that low price?? It is still a $90 fork. I don't think a person could go wrong with this as an entry level bike. I have pretty much outgrown mine in terms of skill and riding ability, progressing from beginner to intermediate. But it will hold me for a couple more months until I upgrade to FS.

Check out the Giant Iguana like "Wraith" mentioned. I have no first hand experience with them, but MB Action just reviewed it and they loved it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Reading thru some UK MTB mags, March issues, some interesting stuff;
1.Trek 4500 is a good bike for the bucks, but in the UK market where we pay in £ what you get in $, the best of the crop for value and spec is the Dawes. But this is UK made so may be more expensive in the US.
2. Rockshocks Judy TT is the one of the poorest entry-level forks going (according to the magazine).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Trek 4100

Like sstaures i have the Trek 4100. Other then the shocks i find its a great bike. I haven't been able to try it out that much yet due to the snow but it has a good light frame, and i haven't had any problems with the rear deraleur either. If i where you i might test ride both the 4500 and 4100. If you get the 4100 you can upgrade you shocks with the money you saved on the 4500. Good luck with you decision.,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts