Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New on the forum.
I have a trek 4300 with a 4" travel front suspension(factory) and i have the oportunity to get a Marzocchi Dirt Jumpers shock.

I have heard from a friend that it would not be ok since my frame is not built for it and it could break?

Is that right? Thanks for helping me on this.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Not likely. The 4300 has a pretty stout frame as do most entry level bikes. The constant use of a longer travel fork like that might, over a long period of time, eventually crack the head tube. But it won't happen over night. However, more importantly, it will void the frame warranty and it will change the handling characteristics of the bike. The longer fork will shift the weight bias of the bike more to the rear by raising the front end and slow the handling of the bike by slackening the headtube angle. The results will be more effort/motion from the handle bars to get the bike to respond/turn, and a bike that is more difficult to climb with as it will require more a more forward rider position to keep the front end of the bike down. Descending will improve a bit as the bike will be a bit more stable when pointed down hill. However the tradeoff usually isn't worth it.

Another consideration is the fork itself is not a very good trail fork. The DJ is designed specifically for dirt jumping. While it is a good stiff fork structurally, it is not a very smooth riding fork on the trail. Because it was designed for DJ the fork is sprung heavier, and has higher damping curves than an XC/Trail fork. It doesn't react well to small bumps so it will feel rather harsh for Trail riding. Also it was designed to take the beating of botched landings and such that are a part of dirt jumping, so it's gonna be on the heavy side as well. The DJ is certainly a better fork than the stock fork that came on your bike. However, I'd think long and hard before putting one on a trail bike.

Your call of course, but if it were me I'd be looking for something in the 100mm travel range that was made more for the type of riding the bike was intended for. There are better forks out there for your bike.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
What year is your bike? I have an 08 6000 that I put a 5'' fork on. I'm pretty sure they use the previous year's frame designs on lower models. I could be completely wrong though so don't take that as a fact.

Squash is absolutely correct in what he said.

I wanted more of AM feel and it worked out perfect for me. The frame has held up fine after a lot of abuse. It was a size small though and the geo looks more similar to a DJ than an XC bike. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7191809/bike/DSC_0054s.JPG

Bottom line though, it's not the same for every bike. If you don't have the money to replace the frame if it breaks don't do it. If you do and want to experiment a bit, I say go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts