Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm about to buy a Trek 4300 (disc). The price is right, and that's the most I want to spend on a new bike. (it's about $430) I don't think I'm going to get better components for $430, but if there's something else out there for the same price or less, I'm all ears. The Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc (new) is out of my price range. (used is cheaper but buying new is a personal preference) I'd imagine the bikes in my price range are more similar than different.

What I'm more interested in is the component upgrade path, particularly the front fork/shock. Does anyone know if the RST Gila T6 is easily upgraded to something better when I have more money in the future? Any other components on this bike that can be upgraded when I can afford it?

Thanks,
Zaph

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Zaph said:
Hello,

I'm about to buy a Trek 4300 (disc). The price is right, and that's the most I want to spend on a new bike. (it's about $430) I don't think I'm going to get better components for $430, but if there's something else out there for the same price or less, I'm all ears. The Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc (new) is out of my price range. (used is cheaper but buying new is a personal preference) I'd imagine the bikes in my price range are more similar than different.

What I'm more interested in is the component upgrade path, particularly the front fork/shock. Does anyone know if the RST Gila T6 is easily upgraded to something better when I have more money in the future? Any other components on this bike that can be upgraded when I can afford it?

Thanks,
Zaph
The fork will be the first thing you'll likely want to upgrade, if you're serious into the sport... and yes, it's eaily upgraded, just buy a new fork.
otherwise, upgrade components as they wear out.

The main thing is make sure the bike fits!

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Upgraditis can hit fast and it can hit hard. If you're already prepared to spend more money to upgrade the fork, factor that cash into your purchase price now. I mean, why set your limit now at $430 a bike, only to spend another $200 or thereabouts for a new fork the moment you walk out of the shop? Why not drop the $600 on a bike right out of the shop? Plenty of options in that price range.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
A nice new fork could cost 400.00 or more. If I was you, I'd go ahead and spend the 430.00 on the trek or fisher, but no upgrading. The only money I would spend on that bike would be to repair and replace what breaks. Then after a year or two you will be lusting after some dream bike like a full suspension or a carbon trek hardtail with a bling fork. By that time you will be so into the sport that spending 2000.00 - 3000.00 on a bike will seam natural. Upgrading working parts is usually foolish. Only replace what breaks and ride it like it's stolen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maida7 said:
A nice new fork could cost 400.00 or more. If I was you, I'd go ahead and spend the 430.00 on the trek or fisher, but no upgrading. The only money I would spend on that bike would be to repair and replace what breaks. Then after a year or two you will be lusting after some dream bike like a full suspension or a carbon trek hardtail with a bling fork. By that time you will be so into the sport that spending 2000.00 - 3000.00 on a bike will seam natural. Upgrading working parts is usually foolish. Only replace what breaks and ride it like it's stolen.
Thanks, I think you make good points. I have to strain just to pull together the $430 right now, and I will likely not be upgrading anything for at least a year. But in a year, a completely different bike could be an option. I could just wait until I have more money, but I'd like to hit the trails with my new bike this weekend already. Actually the first thing I upgrade will likely be clip-on pedals, but even that's at least a few months off.

My other option is to just skip the new bike alltogether. If all $430 gets me is garbage, that may well be the best choice. All I have right now is a GT crossbike, which can barely withstand the terrain I've been throwing at it. I guess I'm still kinda feeling things out, but I do seem to like the Trek 4300 Disc for the price. Maybe I should just be asking if there are any better new bikes for less than $430.

BTW, I'm 5'-11", 190 lbs, and my riding will be divided between easygoing trails and slightly harsher Citizen class racing. I borrowed a Specialized Hardrock last weekend and pre-ran a track with it. It was fun, and I could keep up with others in the Citizen class. After that was the point I decided I need to get something. I also decided I needed disc brakes, as the caliper style faded and squeaked on a downhill section then didn't work well when I got them wet. So that's a little bit about me.

Thanks for the help, all. I just found this forum today and it's packed with awesome info.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Please don't think that the $430 for the Trek 4300 is money spent on garbage. It's far from garbage. Pretty much most riders start out with a decent ride like that. I know I started like that. I started with a $300 Gary Fisher Advance that's practically the sister bike to that Trek 4300 you're considering. I still ride that bike today, despite moving onto a full-suspension Cannondale and trio of singlespeed hardtails.

I think I misunderstood your intentions to upgrade. I had thought that you wanted to walk out of the bike shop with the bike and immediate buy a new fork. I'm sure you'll agree that that would be silly. But if you buy that bike now, go out and beat the crap out of it in the woods (and it will take the beating!), and go for better parts as and when they're needed, then you're on to a good thing.

Another upside to the brand new bike from the shop is the warranty and the gratuitous free servicing you'll receive initially.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
The trek can take some trail riding. It's a decent bike. If you want more bang for your buck buy used or mail order. Check out the Ibex 650 This bike is a bit above your price range but has very good disc brakes a decent fork and reliable shimano drivetrain. Race ready! Whatever you buy make sure the frame fits you. Thats hard to do mailorder.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Zaph said:
Thanks, I think you make good points. I have to strain just to pull together the $430 right now, and I will likely not be upgrading anything for at least a year. But in a year, a completely different bike could be an option. I could just wait until I have more money, but I'd like to hit the trails with my new bike this weekend already. Actually the first thing I upgrade will likely be clip-on pedals, but even that's at least a few months off.

My other option is to just skip the new bike alltogether. If all $430 gets me is garbage, that may well be the best choice. All I have right now is a GT crossbike, which can barely withstand the terrain I've been throwing at it. I guess I'm still kinda feeling things out, but I do seem to like the Trek 4300 Disc for the price. Maybe I should just be asking if there are any better new bikes for less than $430.

BTW, I'm 5'-11", 190 lbs, and my riding will be divided between easygoing trails and slightly harsher Citizen class racing. I borrowed a Specialized Hardrock last weekend and pre-ran a track with it. It was fun, and I could keep up with others in the Citizen class. After that was the point I decided I need to get something. I also decided I needed disc brakes, as the caliper style faded and squeaked on a downhill section then didn't work well when I got them wet. So that's a little bit about me.

Thanks for the help, all. I just found this forum today and it's packed with awesome info.
My opinion, get the 4300. It comes speced well enough. There is nothing that jumps out at me screaming it sucks. The first upgrade i would make is clipless pedals. (Best upgrade i ever made)

I had a bike a while ago that had similar, perhaps slightly lower end components a few years ago when i was getting into MTB. I had one complaint with my bike, the front derailleur, so i upgraded that, but everything else, i just left stock. It had an RST fork with very limited travel, but it was very predictable, so i kept that too. I rode it, and rode it some more. Had fun on it. After about two years, it went downhill. The drivetrain started skipping, tires were worn, seatpost clamp was fatigued, grips were trashed... At that point i realised that it would cost more to replace what was worn, than what the bike was worth to me. Instead of upgrading, i got a nice new bike that cost about four times as much. The new bike held up better.

Upgrading each part one at a time will cost more in the long run than just buying a new, better bike.

So, i say go for the 4300, but don't get too carried away with upgrades if you forsee replacing most of the parts in the end.

I have seen a few 4300s at races, and they were moving at a great pace.

Oh, btw, welcome to MTBR :)

·
Looking to Start Racing
185 Posts
You have some great replys here. So let me add my first hand experience. I have a 2005 4300, and I love it. The frame fits great, the colour option was my favorite in the entire Trek line up that year, and the price was right.

Now if you ever see my posts, I have a disturbing case of Upgradeitis. Thankfully my girlfriend keeps it in check. Unlike the rest of the guys who buy 4300's then scrap them mine will be upgraded to the teeth just cause I love the frame. But I have the cash to do it (somewhat) . That being said, they are right that it is more expensive to buy each part seperate.....so if cash flow is a problem, then I would ride it til she breaks, then invest in a more high level TREK :thumbsup: with the desired component level.

For instance, I am replacing the horrible Gila T5 with a nice Fox F80RL.(Not brand new mind you), and a Race Face Deus headset (shiny silver MMmmmm). I also converted to single-speed, so after the fork, the wheelset will be the next upgrade. Then Avid BB7 discs with Nokon Cables, then finally Easton Ea70 Bars/ Race Face Deus Stem/Thomson Seatpost/Race Face Deus Crank in that order. All totalled up and I could almost buy a Trek Fuel with the proper level of components. But where is the fun in that?.......

·
Registered
362 Posts
I echo that there are really good replies here. Here's my two cents. Ask yourself, what is a $200 upgrade on the fork gonna give you that the stock one won't? And will you ride beyond the limitations of those shocks? I own a 4300 (paid $350 for a 2005) non-disc that I train on twice a week because I can leave it in the back of my truck. I've raced it and pounded the hell out of it. I've crashed it hard and it keeps on going. It's a hell of a bike for the price...stock. My other rides are 2005 Madone 5.9( road bike) and a new Santa Cruz Blur to replace the 4300 for racing. Leave it as is...it's a real good bike.

Zaph said:
Hello,

Thanks,
Zaph

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello,
Just picked up the bike(s) today. (grabbed my wife a 3900 also) The first thing I did was lose a half pound worth of reflectors. I'm not anti-safety, but these will never see the street or any darkness. I can tell this bike is a good bit lighter than the Specialized Hardrock I borrowed previously. The tires on the 4300 are a bit more agressive than anything I've previously used. If I try hard, I can bottom out the shocks, but it seemed controllable when I did that so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thanks for the advice guys, seems great so far. The only thing I can find wrong with these bikes is that they are a little too shiny, which I hope to resolve this weekend. :D

Attachments

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Zaph said:
Hello,
Just picked up the bike(s) today. (grabbed my wife a 3900 also) The first thing I did was lose a half pound worth of reflectors.

The only thing I can find wrong with these bikes is that they are a little too shiny, which I hope to resolve this weekend. :D
You're definitely on the right track :thumbsup: Congrats on the new bikes.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
All good advice here. I started with a 4300 as my first MTB. Then I got a very bad case of upgradeitis. It is easy to get. The fact is, the 4300 is a great bike and you will definintely enjoy many great rides on it. My first upgrade was also a set of clipless pedals, and it was also the best one I made.

Enjoy your new ride!!

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Good to see you made the move and got the bike! Before you ride GET A HELMET!!!! Like the last guy said clipless pedels and shoes are probably the best upgrade you could make. And you can always take your pedels to your next bike. If and when you ever out grow this one. Wear your helmet and have some fun.

·
destructionismyobjective
371 Posts
I also rode a 4300 for many years, was a great bike. It was an 02 I bought second hand in 05 for $200. I rode it hard and even raced it. It was a mech disc version. I eventually found a good deal on a manitou take off fork and put that on there and upgraded to deore drivetrain when the shifters/deraileurs took a crap finally in 2011. Luckily the drivetrain was dontated from a dj bike i had turned ss. So All in all after all the years i had maybe $400 in it total. She was ugly and heavy but a solid bike. I finally sold it this summer after I aquired a full squish bike and came across a newer trek project. Sold to a good buddy of mine for $300. He didnt have a problem paying it cause he knew I kept up on it being it was my only bike for many years.

Eventually you may be held back by your equipment and then its time to move on to a better bike... With that being said it only took me 8 yrs on a 4300 before i felt my skills exceeded my equipment lol!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Holy crap. This spam bot just brought a 6 year old thread to the top... that I created, and I was notified of the post by the forum software.

BTW, I owned about 6 different bikes since I got rid of my old 4300 5 years ago.

So, uh yeah, I moved on to a better bike. 5 years ago.

This is also a great example of why ancient threads should be ****ing locked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i recently bought a trek 4300 '12 hyd disc. I like it but i'm thinking about upgrading the groupset to all shimano. What do you think about it? I found a deore XT on ebay about $1000!!!! but the sotre located in HK is giving me a recommedation on going SLX for about the half of the money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.