Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Brider007
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I just recently got a trek 3500. Its a clean bike although i did buy it used. My question is, is this bike suitable for bikepacking? Possibly doing multiple day trips. Also this is my first post on here so im excited to hear back.
Anither question that i have is if the bike is too small for me. I am 5'6 and the bike frame is 13 inches. Ive looked online and it says that it would be too small. I am also wondering if it would significantly effect my bikepacking performance and comfort. Thank you!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Any bike can be used for bikpacking. Some are more optimal than others though.
The biggest variable IMHO when it comes to bike fitting is standover height. With your cycling shoes on, how much room is there between the top tube and your crotch? I have found that I have no issues with it being a close fit as that gives more room for a frame bag in the triangle. For me, it is about that triangle space.

Last year my son built up a small Stradalli frame that I had picked up for him. I went back and forth as to whether it should be a small or medium. The small was a good fit but he picked up a medium this year and although a close fit, it would have been the better choice.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bikepacking.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I think that frame size would be a little too small for a multi day bike packing trip if you are intending to be on the bike for several hours of the day. There is nothing wrong with the bike, it just might be a little small for you. I think you would be better with the next frame size up

·
Registered
402 Posts
I look for frame triangle space since that’s where I want my heaviest gear. As mentioned above, any Bike can work, you you start talking about carrying a stove, real food, spare parts etc you’re going to want that weight low as possible.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The Trek 3500 rear wheel has a freewheel hub. I would not load that down with a bunch of extra weight and head out on a trip. A broken axle in the middle of the trip could mean a looong walk home. I would recommend swapping that wheel out for something that has a freehub instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.