Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised, the Trek 29er pics from a local Michigan race. I took the pics with my belt buckle spy camera.

What does the 29er group think? GF in disguise? Or an actual Trek prototype? It looks like the Lance 29er from the Austin party, but most agree it is a cyclo cross frame.

Have fun digesting,

CJSBIKE

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
hmm, my quess...

The top tube looks too short to be a GF. It's not a CX either, given the tire clearence and mtb profile. Who's was it?

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trek 29er

DaveA said:
The top tube looks too short to be a GF. It's not a CX either, given the tire clearence and mtb profile. Who's was it?
I do not know who's bike it was. Snapped pics and left.

It looks like an XL frame, but I cannot tell. Stem is long and seatpost is high.

It looks like a GF, but I could be wrong.

----CJSBIKE

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
DaveA said:
Doesn't look short at all to me. Looks like a XL fisher, TT in the 25" range.

·
Registered
235 Posts
on second thought,

you could be right. The long stem and high-seat post threw me off. The owner must be a giant.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Based on parts alone I would say it's most likely a repainted Fisher. Not that there's anything wrong with the parts selection, but a prototype usually gets a new, current year build kit - older levers, shifters, stem. SRAM hubs? The bike also has a mix-matched, incomplete decal kit.

703 Posts
Michigan 29ers

Michigan is a growing 29er state. That looks like a custom paint and decal job to me. The owner must be a crafty engineer w/ too much time on his hands.

At a 12 hour race here over the weekend, I counted two Monkeys (both SS), two X-Cals, two 293's, One Supercal (mine), and a Slingshot 29er SS.

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trek 29er

Upon closer inspection, it looks like a GF X-cal. Look at the seat tube area, the silver triangles are the same as on the X-cal from this year.

Still, I did not see any of the usual Fisher markings or frame details.

I vote that it is a GF with custom Trek decals!?

-CJSBIKE

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
cjsbike said:
Upon closer inspection, it looks like a GF X-cal. Look at the seat tube area, the silver triangles are the same as on the X-cal from this year.

Still, I did not see any of the usual Fisher markings or frame details.

I vote that it is a GF with custom Trek decals!?

-CJSBIKE
I'm going 95% agreement that it's a GF with Trek decals.

I don't however necc think it's a X-cal...reason being there's no diff betweeen the X-cal, and the supercal, or the Dual Sport frames is there, other than paint jobs? DS's have a lower grade Alum, but same geo?

The $6million dollar question is this: Did the owner of that frame get cute and have it re-painted and apply decals himself, or is was it done by Trek becuase they are flirting with releasing a Trek Branded 29er?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Several curious details

I see three things that lead me to beleive this is not a prototype.
1. Old style headtube badge

2. Seat tube diameter looks like it's in the 31.8 range. Not the newer 27.2 that Fisher 05's have. Wouldn't a Trek 29"er have the same spec, for ease of manufacture?

3. Marz fork. Old school. New school- Reba.

I agree that It's a Fisher, repainted, and re-decaled. I hope I'm wrong though! ;)

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trek 29er

Guitar Ted said:
I see three things that lead me to beleive this is not a prototype.
1. Old style headtube badge

2. Seat tube diameter looks like it's in the 31.8 range. Not the newer 27.2 that Fisher 05's have. Wouldn't a Trek 29"er have the same spec, for ease of manufacture?

3. Marz fork. Old school. New school- Reba.

I agree that It's a Fisher, repainted, and re-decaled. I hope I'm wrong though! ;)
I think it is also a Fisher X-cal with custom decals.

The equipment spec is old school, that would suggest a non-proto type frame. But maybe the old school headtube badge and equipment is to throw us 29er freaks off from the bigger TREK 29er plan?

-CJSBIKE

·
Registered
236 Posts
trek 29r

cjsbike said:

The equipment spec is old school, that would suggest a non-proto type frame. But maybe the old school headtube badge and equipment is to throw us 29er freaks off from the bigger TREK 29er plan?

-CJSBIKE
if you want a trek 29r, take a 7700, 7500 or 7300 FX, put a 100mm fork on and some 29'r wheels and you got your self a trek 29r!!! theres not alot of tire clearance in the rear, but its works!...trek has been making these bikes for years, but never marketed them as 29'rs, if they'd just open up the rear a little, then could pull it off....?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
A little short in the top tube

2inthehole said:
if you want a trek 29r, take a 7700, 7500 or 7300 FX, put a 100mm fork on and some 29'r wheels and you got your self a trek 29r!!! theres not alot of tire clearance in the rear, but its works!...trek has been making these bikes for years, but never marketed them as 29'rs, if they'd just open up the rear a little, then could pull it off....?
That'd be all good an' such- except the top tube is way to short for any given seat tube size. While a true 29" tire "might" fit, I don't think any one is going to be in a hurry to get "das crimper" out to use on an aluminum frame. No- no, I'll wait to see a real 29" design out of Waterloo with a bonifide Trek decal on it before I get to excited. ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Fisher

cjsbike said:

-CJSBIKE
Its the rear wheel that gives it away...how close it is to the seat tube, a problem that Fisher addressed in the 2005 line because on the newer dual pull front derailleurs that Shimano has don't fit in that very small space. Also how tightly that rear wheel is tucked into the frame...that bike definitely has Genesis geometry...total Fisher!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts