Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek 2021 Slash Shock Options?

50K views 63 replies 30 participants last post by  rfxc 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, just wondering what shocks I can use if I buy the new 2021 Trek Slash 8?

It says on their website it's a Trunnion 230 x 62.5 shock mount size. And that "most shocks should fit into the rear triangle (e.g. FOX DHX2, FOX X2, RockShox Super Deluxe Coil, FOX DPX2 and MRP Hazard)."

But there is no mention of the CC DB Coil CS or the Ohlins TTX22, the two shocks I really want to upgrade too after I purchase the bike.

Also Ohlins lists their shocks in a much different format with numbers like 8.5 x 2.5, 7.87 x 2, etc. And I have no idea what that equates too in the other format. The 230 x 62.5 size the Slash requires.

Does anyone know if those two coil shocks will work and if those companies make a Trunnion 230 x 62.5 coil shock? Or a size that WILL work in those two shocks?

Thanks

#2 ·
We've seen Cane Creek and Ohlins shocks on our bikes before, so in theory, it would fit the new Slash since it has clearance for an X2 which is a large shock as is.

The reason those shocks are not mentioned is because they are not physically tested, so you'd probably be one of the first to try it out on the new bike.

As for sizing, 230 x 62.5 is a metric size where the other sizes you see are imperial which is becoming an outdated sizing chart for bikes these days. But technically you can convert metric to imperial to get your size which in this case means you'd need a 9 x 2.46 shock. You won't want anything with a larger stroke than 2.46, so you'll have to do some digging to find a shock that will work best for you.

Why not look at the Fox DHX2 or the Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil if a coil shock is what you want? These are readily available and are offered in metric sizing. Also, you should give the stock shock a chance before throwing it to the curb. I've been very impressed with it so far as I was originally going to put an X2 on mine.

#7 ·
I cannot find any coil shocks that will fit 230 x 62.5. I have looked at marzocchi, cane creek, mrp, rock shock, and ohlins on many sites. None will fit (Not 100% sure but I have been looking for a while) Do you know of any coil that will fit the slash? If so please reply.
thanks,
E

#4 ·
Also, looking into Ohlins, I don't even see anything that would be close to the Slash shock size. I'd rule them out unless they have something else available.

You should contact these manufacturers directly.
Thanks Mitch! And I'm not going to just kick the stock shock to the curb. I'll use them. I'm just thinking ahead. I want to ride the stock fork and shock for everyday riding, then when I go to more vertical trails or the MTNs for bike park trips, I want to swap out for an Ohlins RXF M2 36 or similar high end longer travel fork, as well as the shock to a really nice coil.

I think you're right about the Ohlins shock though :( There doesn't look to be anything that will fit the Slash. I see Cane Creek does have a DB Coil that will fit, and that is an amazing shock!

I'm actually still trying to determine which bike I'm going to get. It all depends on how much my settlement is. If it's not that much, then I'm definitely going to have to go with the Slash. But if I get more, I'll probably go with my original choice.

But.... another thing that could play into this is what kind of deal the Trek store might be willing to work out with me, as I'm going to be buying not only a FS MTB, but also a nice Road bike, at the same time possibly!

Probably a Domane SL 5, Canyon CF Endurance SL Disc or something along those lines. So if the Trek store can work out some sort of % off the two bikes, or include a bunch of accessories for free or a very low price, then I might still end up going with the Slash no matter how much I win in the settlement.

Thanks again Mitch, I appreciate your help

#33 ·
Weight for one, a metal spring weighs more than an air spring. My rule on adding a coil spring shock is if you climb a fair amount on your bike and you hate climbing….. don’t get a coil shock. Coil shocks DO NOT CLIMB AS WELL AS AIR SHOCKS. The shock resistance that all air shocks helps with climbing IMO.

#58 ·
I have not messed with the X2 on a Slash, though I've had one on a 2018 Remedy. I always found the shock to be soft which was perfect for what I wanted out of the bike. However, I did mess around with volume spacers when I was initially riding the bike on mixed trails and not just flow trails which is what I eventually tuned the bike for. By adding volume spacers, you get a noticeably increased spring rate at the end-stroke (and some increase to the mid-stroke). This may assist your tuning needs if you are still finding that the shock is bouncing a lot. You may even need to increase your air pressure overall, though a spacer would reduce the volume and help with that since SAG has a lot to do with pedal bob (as does your LSC adjustment).
Your shock size on that model is 230x57.5mm which opens up a lot of shock options from Fox DHX2, Rockshox SD, Ohlins, Cane Creek, etc! Just check the mount, but we offer trunnion and standard hardware that your local dealer could order if you need it.

The mount hardware for the standard mounting would be listed below and can be ordered through your local dealer! Same goes for the Fox bushing hardware if you didn't get that when you ordered your shock.
View attachment 1928017
Mitch@Trek
Could you tell which Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T 2023 comes with the2023 Trek Slash 9.9 xtr. Is it the linear or the progressive? With or without HBO?

Big thanks

#13 ·
Hi Man,

Looking to add a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil, As you can't get one in Metric and Trunnion mount that will fir the slash, I'll have to get another way of mounting it.

Is there any bolts I can buy for the lower and upper shock mounts for my Slash 8 2021?

Thanks
Elliot

#14 ·
Hi Man,

Looking to add a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil, As you can't get one in Metric and Trunnion mount that will fir the slash, I'll have to get another way of mounting it.

Is there any bolts I can buy for the lower and upper shock mounts for my Slash 8 2021?

Thanks
Elliot
See the image below for the standard eyelet hardware you'd need!

#23 ·
Sorry to highjack the post but I’m desperately clutching at straws.
The rear shock bottom bolts worked lose on my sons 2020 slash 8 and totally killed the threads on the bottom yoke.
We can’t find a new yoke anywhere for it so he’s looking to replace it with a coil shock if you’ve got any information that could help it would be much appreciated.

#42 ·
Hello Tony,

i have had the same issue with my trek slash 8 2020 - I changed 3 bolts in 2 years until the right thread was totally killer. Now I am changing the shock from stock (trunnion) to super deluxe (standard mounting with bushing). I am doing that just today so I hope everything will go just fine.

Old shock was 230x57,5 and the new one is 230x60. I will try if new travel will go fine with the frame, if not i'll probably use some kind of home made spacers to decrease the stroke for 2,5mm.

#29 ·
Does anybody know if this shock will work for '21 Slash? it has the bearing mounts on the shaft. not sure if it will fit into the space or not? Anybody?
I had a Super Deluxe on my remedy that came with the bearing in the photo, I had to remove the bearing and used a bushing because the inside diameter (ID = 6mm if I remember correctly) of the bearing is much smaller than the shaft that comes with the frame (OD = 10mm)

#28 ·
Hey everyone, just wondering what shocks I can use if I buy the new 2021 Trek Slash 8?

It says on their website it's a Trunnion 230 x 62.5 shock mount size. And that "most shocks should fit into the rear triangle (e.g. FOX DHX2, FOX X2, RockShox Super Deluxe Coil, FOX DPX2 and MRP Hazard)."

But there is no mention of the CC DB Coil CS or the Ohlins TTX22, the two shocks I really want to upgrade too after I purchase the bike.

Also Ohlins lists their shocks in a much different format with numbers like 8.5 x 2.5, 7.87 x 2, etc. And I have no idea what that equates too in the other format. The 230 x 62.5 size the Slash requires.

Does anyone know if those two coil shocks will work and if those companies make a Trunnion 230 x 62.5 coil shock? Or a size that WILL work in those two shocks?

Thanks
I don't know where you are looking at it, cause we sell ohlins mtb and they do have all the metric sizes standard eyelet and TRUNION mount, check the shock fitting tools at ohlins.
cheers

#30 ·
Sorry to hijack the post, but I have a 21 Slash 7, and am looking to upgrade the rear shock ASAP. It was good for a while, but its time for something better. Is it worth getting the Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate that comes on the Slash 8 and up? I would've gotten the 8 to begin with, but none were available, and i really wanted a slash. I am also considering a coil, but I still do quite a bit of climbing since I live in Durango, CO and all the trails here start with a climb. Thanks for the input!

#35 ·
Ok, what slash? The 7 has mounts that allow you run most shocks, the 8 and up have mounts that allow it run the through shaft shock and most shocks will not fit. Go to the Trek site and look at the replacement parts section and you can order new mounts.

#51 ·
Hey Mitch, I recently purchased a 2021 Slash 9.8 with the RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate, DebonAir spring, Thru Shaft 3-position damper, 230x62.5mm. Bike has less than 25hours and has sat for a couple months. After doing a pre flight check, I took it out to a pretty big jump line and had some rebound issues 1st run and had to close it 3 clicks from where I normally had it set, which I thought was a lot. Next 2 runs were better, but not confidence inspiring. 4th run I got bucked hard and almost went o.t.b. I immediately checked my rebound and it was super fast and springy again. A rebuild is a possible option, but I think a coil is the way to go for how I ride. I'm aware that people have put FOX coils, but I haven't seen on in a Medium frame. I have a few questions and I hoping you can help.
(1) Are the 599898 and 5258210 all I need to adapt a 230 x 65 coil?
(2) Will it clear a Medium frame?
(3) Above parts are not available, are there other hardware options, or will these be available soon?
Thank you for your time and any help you can offer

#56 · (Edited)
I had the fox DPX2 and I was not so happy. I want to buy the RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T Debon Air+ Amortiguador - Standard - 230mm.
For a 2021 Trek Slash. What do you think?

I would prefer to buy the ROCKSHOX SUPERDELUXE ULTIMATE RC2T, but I don't know if linear or pregressive and with or without the HBO (HIDRAULIC BOTTOM OUT).

About if its available or not,

ROCKSHOX answered me:

The Super Deluxe Ultimate with Hydraulic Bottom Out is available aftermarket. The 230x62.5mm configuration is part number 00.4118.358.086 (Rear Shock Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T - (230X62.5) Linear Air, 0 Neg/1 Pos Token, LinearReb/LowComp, Hydraulic Bottom Out, 320lb Threshold, Standard Standard - C1). This is still a new aftermarket shock configuration, so it may take some time to become available in your region. It will be best to continue to check with your local shop or dealer.

See our dealer locator to find a dealer near you:

Alternatively, you can order the non-HBO version (00.4118.358.001- Rear Shock Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T - (230X62.5) Linear Air, 0 Neg/1 Pos Token, LinearReb/LowComp,320lb Threshold, Standard Standard - C1) and then install part number 11.4118.054.625 (REAR SHOCK DAMPER BODY - STANDARD EYELET 62.5MM W/ HYDRAULIC BOTTOM OUT (DAMPER BODY, BUSHING, VALVE CORE, 2.5MM TRAVEL SPACER & CAPS) - SUPER DELUXE C1+ (2023+)), which will add HBO.

#57 · (Edited)
Finally I bought the Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T linear without HBO. It was impossible to find it with HBO. I also bought the kit to add the HBO really cheap in bike24.
Maybe one day I would buy the progresive can, if not happy with the linear.
The progressive can is this one:
The progressive air can for the 230x62.5mm Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T is part number 11.4118.059.010 (REAR SHOCK AIR CAN ASSEMBLY - PROGRESSIVE 57.5-65MM (DECALS, COUNTERMEASURE, AND SPRING) - SUPER DELUXE THRUSHAFT C1 (2021+)/ SUPER DELUXE C1/DELUXE C1 (2023+)).

Can anyone tell me if the Trek Slash 9.9 2023 comes with the Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T 2023 with the linear or pregressive option? With or without HBO?

#59 ·
This is the answer about which Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T 2023 uses the TREK Slash from ROCKSHOX:

Check out the screenshot below directly from the Trek website.

Part number 00.4118.294.403 (RS SUPER DELUXE ULTIMATE RC2T 230X62.5 PROGRESSIVE AIR CAN 0 NEG 0 POS TOKENS LINEAR REB-MED COMP TUNE HYDRAULIC BOTTOM OUT 320LB THRESHOLD STANDARD STANDARD C1) is custom-built for Trek and uses HBO and a Progressive air can. The rebound tune is Linear, the Compression tune is M, and Lockout Force is 320. 0 negative and 0 positive volume reducers are installed, and the check tune is 0- Light. Unfortunately, we do not sell this shock aftermarket.

The best aftermarket solution is to order shock number 00.4118.358.086 (Rear Shock Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T - (230X62.5) Linear Air, 0 Neg/1 Pos Token, LinearReb/LowComp, Hydraulic Bottom Out, 320lb Threshold, Standard Standard - C1), remove the one positive volume reducer, and install the Progressive Air can, which is part number 11.4118.059.010 (REAR SHOCK AIR CAN ASSEMBLY - PROGRESSIVE 57.5-65MM (DECALS, COUNTERMEASURE, AND SPRING) - SUPER DELUXE THRUSHAFT C1 (2021+)/ SUPER DELUXE C1/DELUXE C1 (2023+)).

#60 · (Edited)
I've got a 2023 9.7 and I'm replacing the stock shock with an EXT Storia. I thought I'd be able to reuse all the same hardware but the stock shock has DU bushings that stick out a few mm on either side while my new shock's bushings are flush. What size spacers do I need for the upper and lower mounts?

EDIT: Nevermind, for some reason it didn't occur to me to just swap out the bushings o_O

#63 ·
So I went with the Rock Shox Ultimate RC2T coil and so far am very happy I did. Tested it yesterday on a local trail, and can feel the difference right away. It felt planted to the ground and I felt more in control over the breaking bumps. Still need some fine-tuning of the high-speed compression and the HBO, as there isn't anything on the trail that would merit anything high-speed or have anything that would push the shock to bottom out.

Attachments