Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just wondering what shocks I can use if I buy the new 2021 Trek Slash 8?

It says on their website it's a Trunnion 230 x 62.5 shock mount size. And that "most shocks should fit into the rear triangle (e.g. FOX DHX2, FOX X2, RockShox Super Deluxe Coil, FOX DPX2 and MRP Hazard)."

But there is no mention of the CC DB Coil CS or the Ohlins TTX22, the two shocks I really want to upgrade too after I purchase the bike.

Also Ohlins lists their shocks in a much different format with numbers like 8.5 x 2.5, 7.87 x 2, etc. And I have no idea what that equates too in the other format. The 230 x 62.5 size the Slash requires.

Does anyone know if those two coil shocks will work and if those companies make a Trunnion 230 x 62.5 coil shock? Or a size that WILL work in those two shocks?

Thanks

·
Community Manager at Trek
417 Posts
Hey everyone, just wondering what shocks I can use if I buy the new 2021 Trek Slash 8?

It says on their website it's a Trunnion 230 x 62.5 shock mount size. And that "most shocks should fit into the rear triangle (e.g. FOX DHX2, FOX X2, RockShox Super Deluxe Coil, FOX DPX2 and MRP Hazard)."

But there is no mention of the CC DB Coil CS or the Ohlins TTX22, the two shocks I really want to upgrade too after I purchase the bike.

Also Ohlins lists their shocks in a much different format with numbers like 8.5 x 2.5, 7.87 x 2, etc. And I have no idea what that equates too in the other format. The 230 x 62.5 size the Slash requires.

Does anyone know if those two coil shocks will work and if those companies make a Trunnion 230 x 62.5 coil shock? Or a size that WILL work in those two shocks?

Thanks
We've seen Cane Creek and Ohlins shocks on our bikes before, so in theory, it would fit the new Slash since it has clearance for an X2 which is a large shock as is.

The reason those shocks are not mentioned is because they are not physically tested, so you'd probably be one of the first to try it out on the new bike.

As for sizing, 230 x 62.5 is a metric size where the other sizes you see are imperial which is becoming an outdated sizing chart for bikes these days. But technically you can convert metric to imperial to get your size which in this case means you'd need a 9 x 2.46 shock. You won't want anything with a larger stroke than 2.46, so you'll have to do some digging to find a shock that will work best for you.

Why not look at the Fox DHX2 or the Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil if a coil shock is what you want? These are readily available and are offered in metric sizing. Also, you should give the stock shock a chance before throwing it to the curb. I've been very impressed with it so far as I was originally going to put an X2 on mine.

·
417 Posts
Also, looking into Ohlins, I don't even see anything that would be close to the Slash shock size. I'd rule them out unless they have something else available.

You should contact these manufacturers directly.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, looking into Ohlins, I don't even see anything that would be close to the Slash shock size. I'd rule them out unless they have something else available.

You should contact these manufacturers directly.
Thanks Mitch! And I'm not going to just kick the stock shock to the curb. I'll use them. I'm just thinking ahead. I want to ride the stock fork and shock for everyday riding, then when I go to more vertical trails or the MTNs for bike park trips, I want to swap out for an Ohlins RXF M2 36 or similar high end longer travel fork, as well as the shock to a really nice coil.

I think you're right about the Ohlins shock though :( There doesn't look to be anything that will fit the Slash. I see Cane Creek does have a DB Coil that will fit, and that is an amazing shock!

I'm actually still trying to determine which bike I'm going to get. It all depends on how much my settlement is. If it's not that much, then I'm definitely going to have to go with the Slash. But if I get more, I'll probably go with my original choice.

But.... another thing that could play into this is what kind of deal the Trek store might be willing to work out with me, as I'm going to be buying not only a FS MTB, but also a nice Road bike, at the same time possibly!

Probably a Domane SL 5, Canyon CF Endurance SL Disc or something along those lines. So if the Trek store can work out some sort of % off the two bikes, or include a bunch of accessories for free or a very low price, then I might still end up going with the Slash no matter how much I win in the settlement.

Thanks again Mitch, I appreciate your help

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've seen Cane Creek and Ohlins shocks on our bikes before, so in theory, it would fit the new Slash since it has clearance for an X2 which is a large shock as is.

The reason those shocks are not mentioned is because they are not physically tested, so you'd probably be one of the first to try it out on the new bike.

As for sizing, 230 x 62.5 is a metric size where the other sizes you see are imperial which is becoming an outdated sizing chart for bikes these days. But technically you can convert metric to imperial to get your size which in this case means you'd need a 9 x 2.46 shock. You won't want anything with a larger stroke than 2.46, so you'll have to do some digging to find a shock that will work best for you.

Why not look at the Fox DHX2 or the Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil if a coil shock is what you want? These are readily available and are offered in metric sizing. Also, you should give the stock shock a chance before throwing it to the curb. I've been very impressed with it so far as I was originally going to put an X2 on mine.
I cannot find any coil shocks that will fit 230 x 62.5. I have looked at marzocchi, cane creek, mrp, rock shock, and ohlins on many sites. None will fit (Not 100% sure but I have been looking for a while) Do you know of any coil that will fit the slash? If so please reply.
thanks,
E

·
Registered
19 Posts
I cannot find any coil shocks that will fit 230 x 62.5. I have looked at marzocchi, cane creek, mrp, rock shock, and ohlins on many sites. None will fit (Not 100% sure but I have been looking for a while) Do you know of any coil that will fit the slash? If so please reply.
thanks,
E
For Fox X2 / DHX2, the shocks are the same, just with different spacers. I had a DHX2 2020. I could turn the shock into 230x57,5/60/62,5 or 65 by choosing wich bottom out spacer I wanted to run. With the X2, I think this is done internally and probably not as easy to do by yourself. Idk.

I would guess that Rockshox and other manufacturers are doing just the same thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For Fox X2 / DHX2, the shocks are the same, just with different spacers. I had a DHX2 2020. I could turn the shock into 230x57,5/60/62,5 or 65 by choosing wich bottom out spacer I wanted to run. With the X2, I think this is done internally and probably not as easy to do by yourself. Idk.

I would guess that Rockshox and other manufacturers are doing just the same thing.
Search "travels spacers" on this page: FLOAT X2 Part Information | Bike Help Center | FOX

·
417 Posts
Our list of known compatible coil shocks for the MY21 Slash are:

• MY21 Fox X2 Coil
  • MY21 Fox X2 Air
  • RockShox Super Deluxe Coil
  • MRP Hazard

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hi Mitch,

How's it going man?

Just wondering, which bolt kits I'd need to get an aftermarket shock fitted?

Looking to get a coil shock for charging and retain my air shock on my Slash 8 2021 as it's been awesomes so far.

Any help is much appreciated!
Elliot

·
417 Posts
Hi Mitch,

How's it going man?

Just wondering, which bolt kits I'd need to get an aftermarket shock fitted?

Looking to get a coil shock for charging and retain my air shock on my Slash 8 2021 as it's been awesomes so far.

Any help is much appreciated!
Elliot
Hardware depends on the shock. But typically, you'll be reusing your stock hardware. For bushings, those are shock specific and supplied from that manufacturer.

What coil are you looking at?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Man,

Looking to add a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil, As you can't get one in Metric and Trunnion mount that will fir the slash, I'll have to get another way of mounting it.

Is there any bolts I can buy for the lower and upper shock mounts for my Slash 8 2021?

Thanks
Elliot

·
417 Posts
Hi Man,

Looking to add a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil, As you can't get one in Metric and Trunnion mount that will fir the slash, I'll have to get another way of mounting it.

Is there any bolts I can buy for the lower and upper shock mounts for my Slash 8 2021?

Thanks
Elliot
See the image below for the standard eyelet hardware you'd need!

·
417 Posts
Hi Mitch,

Thanks again man, your help is much appreciated.

If I could ask one last thing that would be ace, which bushings should I go for? M10x60 or M10x54mm for the top and is it M10x50 with offset for the lower?

Cheers
Elliot
Happy to help!

54x10mm Upper, 40x10mm Lower would be your spacing. No offset on the lower from what I can view on our documents or on my physical Slash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, how about the push Elevensix verion 1? i have one on my slash 2020 and i would like to change the stroke and fit it there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks mate,

Your help has been awesome!

Once everything arrives, I'll make a post with an update on how I get along.
Happy to help!

54x10mm Upper, 40x10mm Lower would be your spacing. No offset on the lower from what I can view on our documents or on my physical Slash.
Hi Mitch,

How's things mate?

I've received everything to do the conversion now. Everything fits okay apart from the lower shock bolt. It doesn't fit as it's too long and protrudes out the end of the bearing on one side. The top one fits fine though! I have tried using a spacer to fit the lower one but I am still getting play in the rear end from what I thing is caused by the lower shock bolt.

I ordered these bolts from Trek and chose the lower and upper mount kit options which was recocomended to me from someone on the Trek site:

If you could send a link to a part that would be ideal, I noticed the Full Stache option, is that shorter that the lower mount kit option? perhaps that might work,

Thanks man!
Elliot

·
417 Posts
Hi Mitch,

How's things mate?

I've received everything to do the conversion now. Everything fits okay apart from the lower shock bolt. It doesn't fit as it's too long and protrudes out the end of the bearing on one side. The top one fits fine though! I have tried using a spacer to fit the lower one but I am still getting play in the rear end from what I thing is caused by the lower shock bolt.

I ordered these bolts from Trek and chose the lower and upper mount kit options which was recocomended to me from someone on the Trek site:

If you could send a link to a part that would be ideal, I noticed the Full Stache option, is that shorter that the lower mount kit option? perhaps that might work,

Thanks man!
Elliot
Whoever suggested ordering that lower hardware was wrong (especially when I gave the correct part number above). You will need to order # 5258210 which would only be available through your LBS right now and is specific to the MY21 Slash. You can return the incorrect one to us and then just order the new hardware through your shop!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts