Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, went for a ride at Frances Slocum today. I was just wondering what is going on as there are big trails down all over the trails causing a lot of hike a bike sections. One section is completely blocked by a huge downed tree. Are these trees going to be cleared out? Im just upset because these trees are making a place I love to ride not much fun to ride anymore.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hey guys, went for a ride at Frances Slocum today. I was just wondering what is going on as there are big trails down all over the trails
Are they Cut down or blow downs? it was a long hard winter..and big trees do fall
on our trails. And as far as them being cleared out, there is a great group of riders who maintain Slocum Im sure they will take care of them. Its still early in the riding season, hang in there:thumbsup:

·
Did you ever have ham?
1,650 Posts
Trails Blocked at Frances Slocum

Hey everyone! I decided to hit up the trails at FS for a good ride on Tuesday. You will have to forgive me because I don't know the names of the trails up there. There are two big trees down totally blocking the trails. Is there going to be a work day to get them cut out? Vegetation Branch Natural environment Twig Plant community
Nature Natural environment Natural landscape Branch Plant community

·
Premium Member
8,470 Posts
As soon as park management approves.

No-one is authorized to even do cleanup like that without prior coordination.

Thanks.
We pay taxes for these trails and recreation is a big part of our existence as humans! I speak with lots of people who enjoy this park when I ride, hike, camp, or fish.

Since these trails are advertised as "OPEN" lets get and keep then open! I completely understand trees fall down on their own time frame, but I ride here a lot and these trails have been blocked for weeks!

On another note in the past myself and Chris Stine have hosted the Tuesday night rides at this park, later I steeped aside to help at Moon lake but Chris kept this alive(a very good thing he has been doing it a long time at FS) He has helped and shown many people the fun of riding mt bikes at this great park!

Mr Bradish: Please allow volunteers to help with "minor" trail maintenance like removing tress with hand tools. You know in the past we have worked together and my offer still stand to help you and park anyway I can. I have a volunteer application on file at the park. There are lots of people who would help get these trails open in a wink, me being one of them, I always have a saw in my pack when I ride and I could have cut that mess out in minutes!

Lee Curry
NEPMTBA

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everybody who rides should carry a small folding saw with them. Heck, arms need a workout too!!!!

That's probably why some people don't like to ride with me - 'cause I can't just leave something when something can be done about it.

If I see something that I think I can cut and move, I cut and move!! Prior authorization be damned!!!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
In the past, I've informed park folks about downed trees and they both appreciated the input and taken care of the trees. I know I've been slack in reporting the bigger stuff that I can't deal with at Slocum.

The three big ones that I know of: (1) on Blindside -- down, big, not avoidable. Could hurt someone flying down the hill. (2) at the intersection of "Lakeside" and "the right Granny connector" -- annoyingly blocking the bottom of the trail triangle there, and (3) at the top of "BLT" approaching the top of "Granny" and the gravelly 1.5 track -- there are a few downed trees (rideable as log bridges) and one dangerous looking widow maker.

Best,
Mark

·
Did you ever have ham?
1,650 Posts
Yup, I carry a folding saw with me, too! I understand that the ranger is in charge of the park and what happens there. However, if something like this happens. The people who use the park should be allowed to clear the trails in order for people to use them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.