Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
dis member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be working with a small crew this Monday cutting out fallen trees, focusing on those that obstruct trails and create a hazard.

I would like specific information on what areas I should prioritize. I'm looking for name of trail, distance down trail from trail head or a familiar landmark, and size or quantity of tree or trees in the way.

I would also like one or two people to help spot for me, and drag cut material off trail. I might have my saw gear loaded in a BOB trailer and head in by bike from the top of the Ridge Trail to Tractor or Saw Pit. I might also do some or all of this job on foot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is very much needed

Charles,

I rode the Demo this morning, and while I understand that tree/log obstacles can add a certain degree of fun/challenge to a trail, the amount of trees down in the Demo has just totally ruined the flow of the trails. I'll try my best to detail where tree's are:

- Starting with Ridge, after the steep climb. There is a relatively small tree down parallel to the trail right after the drop down to the big tree (with ramps) that has been down for over a year. It's lays across the trail right after you go either over the top of tree on the ramp or around it to the right. Can't get around it because it is too close.

- Numerous tree's across Ridge right after you pass that section heading toward the section with the rock drop around the trees and the climb to the helipad. Great section with the root and rock drops, but the trees don't have good ramps and are just too sketchy for most of us mere mortals.

- The newly fallen trees on Braille have been pretty well documented, so I won't spend time on them.

- The tree on Ridge after the entrance to Braille. Been there awhile. Finally has a ramp that will give you the momentum to get over it without much worry, but it's still a pretty good drop on the other side. Is that jump really necessary? If it was half the height, people wouldn't give it a second thought...

- Heading past the picnic bench, there is a relatively new tree that is down past the couple of bigger trees that have been cleared. That section of trail is so awesome at speed, it would be great to remove it.

- At the end of the trail that has been cut around the huge tree down before the entrance to Tractor trail, there are two trees that are one after the other and hard to get over because you are not carrying alot of speed.

- Farther down tractor, there is one tree that is across the trail in a spot that makes you
scrub a little too much speed to slow down and go over it cleanly. Low priority, but it's a candidate too.

Hope this helps. If I could, I would take monday off to help because this work is really needed, but the next two weeks are hectic as we head toward quarter end.

Thanks in advance for all the work,

John

·
Registered
178 Posts
Please don't mess up Demo

The only trees that need to be taken care of are the ones that have fallen in the past few days and are obviously blocking the trail. Most of the trees mentioned by NOJ are just fun stunts that make Demo the great trail system it is. If you are no able to hop/ride over or somehow negotiate a 10inch fallen tree on the trail, maybe Demo is not for you.

David.

·
Registered
310 Posts
While I agree with NOJ, if I adopt a wheelie drop perspective I would only fix this one:

NOJ said:
Charles,
- Starting with Ridge, after the steep climb. There is a relatively small tree down parallel to the trail right after the drop down to the big tree (with ramps) that has been down for over a year. It's lays across the trail right after you go either over the top of tree on the ramp or around it to the right. Can't get around it because it is too close.
John

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
WheelieDrop said:
The only trees that need to be taken care of are the ones that have fallen in the past few days and are obviously blocking the trail. Most of the trees mentioned by NOJ are just fun stunts that make Demo the great trail system it is. If you are no able to hop/ride over or somehow negotiate a 10inch fallen tree on the trail, maybe Demo is not for you.

David.

I will try as hard as possible to reserver comment here...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Charles, too bad I can't skip work on this Monday with a short notice, but I'm planning to help with trailwork next week.

Regarding trees:
Corall is all clear.
Sulfur have few, but guess it would be easier to cut them on trailwork day if we will drive up to helipad.
Braille: One tree at the bottom of rollercoaster section (were drop on the top) and another tree there just hanging on other tree branches and could finish it fall any time.
Second tree is just past wall ride few turns before playground.
Third tree not completely blocking the way but it blocked easy line half way between playground and overpass. Last blockage just few turns after that.

to David,
you may don't know, but Charles (Backpedal) is SDF Steward and one of only few ppls there who allowed to use chainsaw. Also he knows all the rules of the forest pretty well and they are tried to be maintained.

The main goal is to have safe network of trails meaning every stunt should have bypass and also every part of trail should be accessible by ATV for in case of rescue or maintenance. All the fallen trees are actually good opportunity and most of the time they are turned in some sort of features during trailwork days that we all enjoy .

If I'm reading Passion weekly letter correctly, there is scheduled trailwork next weekend, hence great opportunity to improve the network of great trails.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't disagree with WheelieDrop

The only tree that I mentioned that is not newly fallen is the one past Braille, on Ridge.
Everything else is newly fallen. I get why people go there. I know the price of admission to ride there. I'm not talking about the trees that people have put ramps on, or fell and don't stop your momentum if you have the skill to clear them. It's only the batch of new trees that have screwed up the fast sections on Ridge that I'm not into. A lot of trees have fallen over the years. The ones that have made good stunts, people have left. The ones that haven't, people have removed. I trust Charles will use his good judgement and make the right call.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Keep up the good job

I see,
I've been in the bay area for a few months and love Demo and the work you guys have put into building it, it is by far my favorite legal trail around here. I'll try to help out with trail maintenance next weekend, I'm also going to Turning Wheels for Kids so dunno if I'll be able too.

By the way, going down Corral yesterday, in the middle of the fireroad there was a log with an big inscription carved on it that reads "DO NOT BUILD MORE STUNTS". Dunno who did that but it must have taken a lot of work just to do that.

Yesterday I did for the first time the log ride on Corral that drops into the steep left turn. I did it twice and it felt like that's just how much my Yeti can take, but it was fun.

Thanks Charles and everybody else for building those great stunts, and of course, I'm all for having safe bypass lines everywhere. See you on the trails!

David.

Stalk said:
Charles, too bad I can't skip work on this Monday with a short notice, but I'm planning to help with trailwork next week.

Regarding trees:
Corall is all clear.
Sulfur have few, but guess it would be easier to cut them on trailwork day if we will drive up to helipad.
Braille: One tree at the bottom of rollercoaster section (were drop on the top) and another tree there just hanging on other tree branches and could finish it fall any time.
Second tree is just past wall ride few turns before playground.
Third tree not completely blocking the way but it blocked easy line half way between playground and overpass. Last blockage just few turns after that.

to David,
you may don't know, but Charles (Backpedal) is SDF Steward and one of only few ppls there who allowed to use chainsaw. Also he knows all the rules of the forest pretty well and they are tried to be maintained.

The main goal is to have safe network of trails meaning every stunt should have bypass and also every part of trail should be accessible by ATV for in case of rescue or maintenance. All the fallen trees are actually good opportunity and most of the time they are turned in some sort of features during trailwork days that we all enjoy .

If I'm reading Passion weekly letter correctly, there is scheduled trailwork next weekend, hence great opportunity to improve the network of great trails.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,702 Posts
WheelieDrop said:

David.
I agree with WheelieDrop about which trees need to be removed. On my ride last weekend, I saw no trees that needed to be removed except for 3 on Braille that are suspended over the trail at a height that they can't be ridden over.

I see no reason to sanitize Demo

·
dis member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"do Not Build More Stunts"

There is a pathway to getting technical trail features approved and built in the Demo, and a set of standards to which they must conform. Some of the more durable and safe features are examples of this, but there are also some pretty sketchy things out there that are not. The Demo is not in danger of being sanitized, but some things do need to be cleaned up. Ramps with no backside in the main trail alignment, or with no alternative around, fall into this category, as do wheel traps with poor sight lines.

The guy that carved "DO NOT BUILD MORE STUNTS" into a log on Corral was a State employee that had work to do on Corral. In the course of a couple projects that Summer, he had to drive a State truck up Corral for recon, inspections, and classes. Repeatedly he had to knock things over both that had been built in the road blocking access, as well as poorly built elevated ramps that had a high probability of getting someone hurt, not necessarily from the drop, but from potential construction failure. An unfortunate waste of energy on both sides.

Our goal tomorrow will be to remove things that I or other trail users deem a hazard, the stuff that surprises you when you come around a corner at speed, or roll up onto it expecting to be able to roll off. Mostly just dead stuff that has fallen, and been poorly ramped, if at all. And while I do this, I consider salvage value. We frequently cut logs in long lengths, sometimes plane them, sometimes notch them, sometimes stack them. Sometimes stash them for use on a future trail work day.

If concern or curiosity moves you, go to Trailworkers.com and sign up for a trail work day. Meet the land managers and other volunteers, find out who's working to build your favorite trail system.

·
Registered
238 Posts
NOJ said:
- The tree on Ridge after the entrance to Braille. Been there awhile. Finally has a ramp that will give you the momentum to get over it without much worry, but it's still a pretty good drop on the other side. Is that jump really necessary? If it was half the height, people wouldn't give it a second thought...
That one I'm really POed about, because there's always been a jump on the left side of the trail. Apparently that wasn't good enough so the jump lice pulled the tree across the trail to build a ramp. It's not a fresh fallen tree.

C>

·
Registered
394 Posts
backpedal said:
If concern or curiosity moves you, go to Trailworkers.com and sign up for a trail work day. Meet the land managers and other volunteers, find out who's working to build your favorite trail system.
I recently moved back to the bay area and would love to do trail work out in demo, however nothing ever seems to be posted up on trailworkers.com about it. When do you guys go out and do maintainance?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
JefedelosJefes said:
I recently moved back to the bay area and would love to do trail work out in demo, however nothing ever seems to be posted up on trailworkers.com about it. When do you guys go out and do maintainance?
Keep an eye out here. There are often threads weeks leading up to the trailwork days.

Charles - Thanks for all the work! I am looking forward to a couple of trailwork days this year. I agree with Dan'ger, only the 3 trees across braille is what I noticed from a Coral-Sulpher-Braille ride. Not sure about tractor sawpit, or other parts of ridge.

·
Crazy Dutch Bastard
87 Posts
Did Braille-Tractor (up)-Tractor yesterday. As noted, Braille has some debris across it, but Tractor and Sawpit are clear. Ridge is too, IIRC

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
JefedelosJefes said:

The trail work at Demo usually begins in December/January after we've had some rain. If we get any this year. My bike had more dust than mud on it yesterday after a run down braille. Anybody know a rain dance?

Charles,

Thank you for taking what I'm assuming is your day off to put some work in up there. Very cool of you!

·
dis member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ridge, and what we didn't do

Both of these blowdowns are on the Ridge Trail, one very near the top, and the other close to but above Sulphur Springs. These are the type of features I think Wheeliedrop is defending, and I think they serve a useful purpose, and add something to the trail system for a few riders, without taking much away from others. I want to have a crew come in on regular trail work day and cut the first one back a bit so it doesn't encroach quite as much on the go around line, and the second one is overdue for a restacking. Coincidentally, there are some large cut pieces of Madrone right off trail there that can make that second jump more stable, and durable to need no attention for a few years.

Attachments

·
dis member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What we did on Ridge

The first two photos below are a rollover that was between the two prior pictured locations, on Ridge. It was a bad angle for a rollover, in a bad spot in a turn, and the resulting disturbance of the forest floor just beyond it was quite telling. I hope no one got hurt. Its gone now, and the flow returns, flow which can be used to better address the jump just down trail.

The next two photos depict my main reason for getting out into the woods on Monday. This jump was solid and fun for some riders, but had no backside rollover ramp, and no way for even an intermediate rider to go around. It also completely blocked ATV access. We deliberated for a bit about leaving a jump there and merely cutting a rider around through it, but the two redwoods just down trail prevented any useful speed line, so the area is now clear.

Attachments

·
dis member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What we did on Braille

This big rats nest was a surprise, and took a while to deal with, not just with a lot of cuts, but with a lot of time spent evaluating risk with each cut and keeping your sawyer out of the death zone. Tangles like these make training and practice necessary for this job.

The last two photos depict another Madrone, this one just 20 feet up trail from one of my favorite old heritage jumps. The trail above it is too steep for almost everyone to properly set up for a jump of this size, and there was no go around for atv's or intermediates. While we did cut a gate out for those trail users, we also left a large stub of the Madrone positioned to be used as a foundation for a jump for the select few to blast off, toe touch, and hit the heritage jump. We also retained a 7 foot long chunk of what was cut out that can be used as a deck for this jump. We can't thank Bob and Elizabeth enough for the back breaking effort to get that thing out of the way. Construction on this one will be completed on a later trail work day, and done by notching and keying the wood so we won't to use any metal fasteners, or work on the thing again for years.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts