Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
black & blue
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for advice...we all take our share of falls, me lately last weekend! Was going downhill and slid on some loose dirt, got some major scrapes and bruises!

I know I'm probably just adding to my collection of scars. Scars from cuts seem to fade away, but the scars from scrapes seem to linger on for me. Anybody have some good treatment methods after an accident to help minimize the scarring? :confused:

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
cbharping said:
Was looking for advice...we all take our share of falls, me lately last weekend! Was going downhill and slid on some loose dirt, got some major scrapes and bruises!

I know I'm probably just adding to my collection of scars. Scars from cuts seem to fade away, but the scars from scrapes seem to linger on for me. Anybody have some good treatment methods after an accident to help minimize the scarring? :confused:
I haven't used it myself, but Tegaderm is supposed to be good for abrasions. According to my hand surgeon, who is also a plastic surgeon, vitamin E is good at helping scars to fade, but it should not be used until the wound heals over. He said it could interfere with the healing process if used earlier. Good luck!

Kathy :^)

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
Duoderm

This stuff is the best! I had an endo that scraped the inside part of my upper arm (OWWW), My arm was on fire until I discovered this. It's a solid pad that acts like a second skin until your real skin grows back. I found this in a medical supply store, but I think that you can get a similar product (tagaderm?) from a regular pharmacy.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
I just know I felt really loved in sick sort of way when, after a major endo into some gravel my hubby threw me in the shower, got in with me and scrubbed all my scrapes down with one of those betadyne impregnated scrubbers that they get in the the ER. And no, he was not gentle.
"got to get all the gravel and dirt out".
If that ain't' mountain biker love, I don't know what is.

treatment... I'm a triple antibiotic kind of gal, but maybe that's why I have scars all over the place.

formica

·
Bike Matron
245 Posts
Corona Ointment

Some helpful information From the Bike Doc on www.tmbra.org
Click on Riders Forum, then click on The Bike Doc

"From my years as a horseman and as a nurse (RN before MD) I discovered a wonderful salve for healing wounds and pressure sores whether they were from a fence cut on a horse's leg, a saddle sore or a pressure sore on a bed ridden patient. I use this salve in my medical practice and my bicycle practice, Corona Ointment. It is a lanolin and beeswax based antibacterial ointment that stays put and speeds healing remarkably. Last year, I took a 2 inch wide 1/4 inch deep chunk with nothing left to stitch together out of my knee when I bit the pavement from my bike. After washing the wound twice daily with a warm water irrigation from a Shower Massage, I would then dry the wound and apply a heavy application of Corona Ointment then covered with a gauze pad and ace wrap. The wound healed over the next 4 weeks without infection and only a half inch by one inch red scar remains (chicks dig scars I'm told ) to remind me of my foibles. Corona Ointment also works well on the other kind of saddle sores bike riders are prone to. You can get Corona Ointment at most feed stores and Tractor Supply Company."

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
I've used Tegaderm and will/would use it again w/o question... had a wreck involving an OTB then skipping along the trail on one shoulder/blade area like a rock across a river. Kinda looked like hamburger (ick). After about 10 days of Tegaderm (I washed out the wound in the shower each evening and put a fresh patch on, but you can leave it on for about a week) and all that's visable is a small patch of skin that's just slightly lighter than the rest. Doesn't even feel like scar tissue, just regular skin. :D Much nicer healing than the ones I didn't use it on.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Team Pro Laps, that sounds like Bag Balm you're describing.

I'm a big fan of it, traps moisture into the skin while healing the wounds.

·
black & blue
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips!

Hey, thanks for the advice! I got some Tegaderm bandages and used it in conjunction with Brave Soldier (much better than Neosporin). It's been a week, and my wounds are practically healed already! Faster than ever! :D

I'll have to try those other ointments suggested next time...hopefully it will be a while before the next time?

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
i second Tegaderm

great stuff. minimizes scaring, speeds healing, provides a waterproof barrier (much nicer to get into the shower!!), and protects from infection (as long as you do a good job cleaning up the wound before putting the tegaderm on).

the only drawbacks to it are: (1) it only seems to come in small sheets which can be a problem if you take off a large area of skin (not that i would know anything about that :rolleyes: ) but you can sort of patchwork it together to cover a larger area; and (2) it isn't great on places that bend (i.e., joints) if you scrape yourself right where your elbow hinges or right on top of your knee cap it's tough to get the stuff to stick for more than a few hours.

oh, and never put body lotion on before putting the tegaderm on. it won't stick.

rt

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
*rt* said:
(1) it only seems to come in small sheets which can be a problem if you take off a large area of skin
sometime, ask your Dr real nice to order you some... at least mine will for me... ;) Or if you know someone who works in a pharmacy, nursing home, etc. they can order it too. *MIGHT* have it hidden behind the counter at the pharmacy/drugstore too. It's an expensive product that they don't sell a lot of, so some places will have different sizes behind the counter in the pharmacy as it's easier for them to keep track of sales & when to re-order (or so i was told). Tegaderm does come in up to like an 8"x10" sheet. What i've seen in drugstores is like 2"x3", at drugstore.com you can get 4"x4". Or do a web search on Tegaderm, perhaps there's other online retailers who have it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why would you want to minimize scaring? Scars are cool! Leave the scrapes as is!!

cbharping said:

·
black & blue
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Size matters...

UserName said:
Why would you want to minimize scaring? Scars are cool! Leave the scrapes as is!!
Small scars are one thing, but when a scrape covers the length of my forearm or from my knee halfway down to my ankle, well that's a different story...don't really want to keep those scars so much :rolleyes:

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
cbharping said:
Small scars are one thing, but when a scrape covers the length of my forearm or from my knee halfway down to my ankle, well that's a different story...don't really want to keep those scars so much :rolleyes:
cbharping, I went to your website via your profile.... I can see why you wouldn't want to bring attention to your mtb boo-boos. I can see it now, you are playing at some function ( wedding, etc) and next thing you know you've got a gaggle of mountain bikers standing around you wanting to trade war stories, not admiring the bride.... :cool: :cool:

formica

·
Registered
123 Posts
Product help

After catching a bit too much air on a dirt mound last night before my XC ride I now have two nice sections of road rash down my leg. So I'm coming back to this post after looking up Tegaderm on the internet where it can be ordered. Do I want to clear stuff or padded?

I promised my sister I would not take any unnecessary risks before her wedding in a month, oops. I'm maid of honor and now have a big scrape down my knee which will show with the dress. Hoping it heals before next month.

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
VT Mtbkr said:
Do I want to clear stuff or padded?
clear works well for me... i'm a little nervous w/ padded as the pad always seems to stick (even if whoever makes it says it won't). just make sure the "sheet" size is slightly larger than the wound, so it's got healthy skin to adhere to.

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
VT Mtbkr said:
After catching a bit too much air on a dirt mound last night before my XC ride I now have two nice sections of road rash down my leg. So I'm coming back to this post after looking up Tegaderm on the internet where it can be ordered. Do I want to clear stuff or padded?

I promised my sister I would not take any unnecessary risks before her wedding in a month, oops. I'm maid of honor and now have a big scrape down my knee which will show with the dress. Hoping it heals before next month.
Check out this link on road rash treatment:

http://www.bravesoldier.com/healing_moist.wound.htm

I've been helping cbharping with her recent scrapes. Using Tegaderm and Brave Soldier Antiseptic Healing Ointment has made a huge difference in how fast the wounds are healing. Good stuff.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I slid to a stop at Demo Forrest the other weekend

... and boy, did it sting! Weekend before last. I skinned most of forearm.

I dumped a bunch of that Brave Soldier antiseptic liquid stuff on it right away to numb it up so I could clean it out, and then finished the ride.

When I got home, I cleaned it up again (OWIE!) and put a bunch of J&J antiseptic ointment on it, then dressed it in a pad and gause. When I took showers at night, I got it wet, pulled the pad off (SUPER OWIE!!!!!), avoided getting soap and water in the wound, then dried off and bandaged it again like before, with lots of that ointment. I know nothing about properly treating this so I winged it, really. If I were using my brain, I woulda IMed Impy. She knows all. After a few days, I stopped bandaging it to let it air dry. Nearly two weeks later, the scab is gone, and new pink skin remains. I am amazed at how quickly my skin regenerated.

My question is this: This is going to scar like mad, isn't it?

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
pimpbot My question is this: This is going to scar like mad said:
Ouch!

A couple things I've been told will minimize scarring:

Keep it out of the sun for a while to keep the scar from darkening.

Pop a vitamin E capsule and spread the oil on it once a day.

I put vitamin E on the 7 surgical scars from two wrist surgeries a couple times a day. One small scar has dissappeared, and the rest are thin white lines. Even the incision the doc used twice (once to put the plate in, once to take it out) is pretty unobtrusive. Vitamin E is a whole lot cheaper than that Mederma stuff you can get in the drugstore to do the same thing.

Heal well!

Kathy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.