Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forums but couldn't find anything so here goes
I bought some panaracer fire xc pros and am down at school now, away from all of my favorite singletrack. My rig sits in my room and I've been itching to ride even if its a few miles around campus. Question is, will road riding on the panaracers destroy the tread? I know it will wear it more than being in dirt where they should be but didn't know if this would be a definite no no with this tire. ANy opinions are welcome. Thanks
Jay

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I searched the forums but couldn't find anything so here goes
I bought some panaracer fire xc pros and am down at school now, away from all of my favorite singletrack. My rig sits in my room and I've been itching to ride even if its a few miles around campus. Question is, will road riding on the panaracers destroy the tread? I know it will wear it more than being in dirt where they should be but didn't know if this would be a definite no no with this tire. ANy opinions are welcome. Thanks
Jay
Fire XCs wear pretty well. Still a full knobby, none of which are suited to paved use, but if your choice is ride or don't ride--RIDE!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
As Shiggy noted, Fire XC Pros wear fairly well on pavement for a full knobby tire. They won't last like a good pavement tire, but they are much better than some.

hoolie made a good suggestion. A set of commuter tires would make things better and wear very well. There are plenty of 26" pavement tires out there in the $15 to $25 range. If you are on a budget and want to use the same tubes, just shop for a pavement tire in 1.9 to 2.0 width range. If you aren't that strapped and don't mind new tubes 1.25 to a 1.75 width wouldn't be out of the question.

Bottom line, if you want to ride, do it! You won't kill the Fires on pavement, but they will wear faster than on dirt. If you want to save the Fires, then get some pavement tires and swap em out. Either way, GO RIDE! :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.