Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is probably a dumb newb question, but I'm putting new tires on (WTB motoraptor) and it indicates tire rotation and then says (rear optional) .....should the rear tire go in the oposite direction or should both go in the same direction.....and does it make a huge difference......yes, likely a dumb question......

·
Registered
455 Posts
The 'direction' of the rear tire depends on the type terrain you ride in. One direction for wet/muddy conditions and the other for drier conditions...I don't remember which...it says on the tire itself...I think.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mabittin said:
this is probably a dumb newb question, but I'm putting new tires on (WTB motoraptor) and it indicates tire rotation and then says (rear optional) .....should the rear tire go in the oposite direction or should both go in the same direction.....and does it make a huge difference......yes, likely a dumb question......
I generally prefer the same direction f&r. Gives better braking and corning grip.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Run them both as if they were fronts, unless climbing is an issue that can't be solved by choosing a better line or improving technique and can be solved by turning the tire around.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
VTSession said:
I usually run my tires the direction they're supposed to, but I have the front backwards for better braking when its soft or muddy
What tires are you using? The normal "front" direction usually gives the best braking traction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.