Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just turned in my last exam for the semester like 1/2 hour ago- thought I'd celebrate by posting pics of my polished RFX with new fork and wheels.

I've got about 5-6 rides on the new setup and so far, I'm overwhelmed. The Travis just disappears, the TPC+ damper is super-smooth on small stuff and I've only bottomed it once (4-5 footer to flat), it didn't bottom hard, I only knew from the zip-tie. It ramps up very nicely at the end of the stroke. This is my first 20mm dropout fork and OMG is it stiff. 34mm stanchions don't hurt much either. The compression and rebound adjusters don't have a huge range like some forks, but the entire range is usable and they DO have a very noticable effect. Nice steel inserts for the dropout pinch bolts keep my hamfistedness from overtightening and stripping the threads, nice.

The wheelset is very, very nice. Light, pretty, and super-fast engagement- said to be quicker than a King, but I can't tell a practical dfiierence on the trail. Seems super-stiff laterally, some of that is the thru-axle I'm sure, but the rear with QR seems stiffer than my 3.1/DT/King with Funbolts setup used previously. By the way, Industry Nine is super-responsive to inquiries, with excellent customer service and great documentation. The wheels come with several printed sheets detailing how to true, how to build the wheels, etc. Also came with 4 extra spokes. I even got a phone call a few days after I got 'em, to see how they were working out and to offer any assistance if needed. I wouldn't normally buy pre-built wheels, but after talking with these guys and finding out that they've been in testing for over 2 years (the Morewood DH team is running them, as well as several XC teams), I felt comfortable in giving them a try. Plus, for me they're local, Asheville, NC area. This is a start-up project backed by an aerospace machine shop that's been around for 10+ years, so they seem pretty stable. All around, highly recommended.

Here are a few shots, both post-muddy-ride and post-cleanup. She's purty, huh? :) 34.5 lbs. of fun (minus the dirt).

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
very nice set up

What type of industry nine wheels are those. Have you spent enough time on those wheels to give us a review? I've been thinking of picking up a set.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gregz12 said:
What type of industry nine wheels are those. Have you spent enough time on those wheels to give us a review? I've been thinking of picking up a set.
They are the Enduros. I typed my initial thoughts on them in my first post, I'll add more when I've had them a few weeks.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bikezilla said:
Wow.... just .... wow!
Yeah, I thought you might dig the wheels. You know, when the Industry Nine rep came by our shop, he had a set of DH wheels- with big, fat, GOLD ano spokes. Gold hub end caps, too.

I'm just sayin'.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
I like that the Travis is an open bath damper. Do you know if you can tune the bottomout threshold by adjusting the oil levels? My concern is that for us big boys, the fork will bottom too easily, even with a heavier spring.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
El Chingon said:
I like that the Travis is an open bath damper. Do you know if you can tune the bottomout threshold by adjusting the oil levels? My concern is that for us big boys, the fork will bottom too easily, even with a heavier spring.
Y'know, I'm not sure. I saw literature that said open bath, but Manitou tech told me that it's still a sealed cartridge and different oil lubes the fork than flows thru the cartridge. He said that HE wouldn't call it open bath for that reason, but that the oil volume in the leg was much greater than on, say, a Sherman, and that for all intents and purposes it acted like an open bath fork, with the exception that the oil in the damper stays cleaner longer and damping performance should take longer to deteriorate than a true open bath design.

I dunno if oil voulme could control bottoming, I'd guess it could if the seals can take it.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Sweet build. They gave away a set of those I9 wheels at a local FR competition last weekend.

I need to give you a shout next time I'm up that way for a guided Pisgah tour of RFX/6-Pack worthy trails. :D

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
El Chingon said:
I think that you're getting Intrinsic damped Travis mixed up with the Travis 150/TPC. Intrinsic is open bath, TPC, is good ole TPC.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
tommyrod74 said:
So I just turned in my last exam for the semester like 1/2 hour ago- thought I'd celebrate by posting pics of my polished RFX with new fork and wheels.
Very pretty bike. Very nice setup. Too bad they don't make the 150 Travis in Intrinsic flavor.

_MK

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MK_ said:
Very pretty bike. Very nice setup. Too bad they don't make the 150 Travis in Intrinsic flavor.

_MK
I've never ridden an Intrinsic damped fork. We'll be getting a Trek Remedy with a Nixon Intrinsic soon, I'll have to report back. I had an SPV and SPV-Evolve Minute, neither felt very good.

If the Intrinsic feels better than the TPC+, it must be amazing. This fork just disappears under you when you ride, it's invisible. Much better feel than the Marzocchis and Foxes I've owned. The price is awesome, too (~ $500 MSRP, so will be found cheaper).

The TPC+ was actually the selling point for me, tried and true damper that feels great. There is no Intrinsic single-crown fork that isn't 1.5 steerer.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SSINGA said:
Sweet build. They gave away a set of those I9 wheels at a local FR competition last weekend.

I need to give you a shout next time I'm up that way for a guided Pisgah tour of RFX/6-Pack worthy trails. :D
Please do. We have a team van we take out to Pisgah a few times a year, lots of fun. Maybe we could schedule something.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bikezilla said:
My credit card wants to thank you for not posting a picture of that.
www.industrynine.net

They'll do custom spoke colors for an upcharge. Right now standard colors are red, black, gold, and silver. One of the other guys at the shop has a set on order with alternating red and black spokes on a red hub (no upcharge for that).

Sorry 'Zilla, give my sincere apology to your credit card.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Axle to crown on fork

Tommy,
Could you measure the Axle to crown height on that nice looking fork of yours?
How does the height compare to the AM1 you were using?
Bike looks great...enjoy!

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Buuuhhhh-LING!!!!!!!!!!! Nice stuff. I wonder how the hubs compare to King in terms of quality and ease of service. I'm holding out till I see a pic of the hubs and spokes in gold. Cue the music -- my low-ri-der...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.