Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my new wheels last week, thought they were the dogs danglies, light and tough ("for aggressive trail riders that aren't afraid to take risks and go big"). Well, last night on my usual 'urban MTB' ride (read commute :) ) I managed to put an almighty ding in the rear rim, riding down a flight of blingin stairs... hardly seems like 'going big' to me! :mad:

Anyone else had strength issues with these rims? Or am I just so hardcore that I'm the only one to manage a dent in them? :rolleyes: I might add that I've done exactly the same route with my 'old' wheels, DT 4.1 rims (that really do have a rep for being soft) nae problems at all!

Any chance of a warranty claim to Spesh do you think? :skep:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Sounds like your tire pressure may have been a bit low. Or maybe w/ your new light wheels you hit your commute aroute at a much higher velocity.

DT rims are much softer than Traversee.

·
Registered
108 Posts
yh try to get warranty for that, its a set of NEW WHEELS
such things shouldnt happen normally (unless you crash but u didnt i believe)
you ll prop get a replacement wheel for those

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
lightweight and for aggressive riders...yeah right....there is no such thing as a miracle (not yet, anyway...). The problem is that the latest fad is the 6 inch bike that weighs less than 30 lbs and climbs everything and descends like a bat out of hell (or whatever the slogan of the day is...). In reality, most of these "impressive" weight savings come from attempting to cut corners on a lot of peripherals, and producing builds that will tip the scale at just the right weight to sell a shitload of bikes. However, once you put them to the test, these light components fail miserably.

I have a friend who ruined a pair of Bontrager Rhythm rims that came standard on his new Remedy. The rim folded in half on a harsh landing. He was told by Trek that his bike was only warranteed on "drops up to 60cm". That's right, SIXTY CENTIMETERS. ON A REMEDY. LOLs
So when push comes to shove, the marketing guys can print what they want, but the company is not actually going to stand behind those bold statements. In reality, you have to add a least a couple of pounds of solid components (rims, spokes, solid tires maybe even dual ply) before you can really start going bigger with these bikes on a regular basis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.