Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am leaving on a trip this week and was wondering if it is necessary to remove air from my fork and shock as well as my tires?
I am running tubeless and would also like to know if I need to completely deflate the tire or only need to lower the pressure but not unseat the tire.
Thanks for you help,
Eric

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've never had a problem leaving everything pressured up. I have deflated my tires a couple times but just to gain some room in the bag. I have left them fully inflated most of the time with no issues. Also no problem leaving air shocks fully inflated.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea how much they are going to charge. I will be shipping it through the airlines cargo department. It will take less of a beating (hopefully).
Eric

·
Registered
421 Posts
Rubyred,
Get a Hard Case for your bike if you are going to take it on the plane with you. Or you could ship it through the Post Office. I have never had a problem with going threw them. Stay far far away from UPS and Fed Ex. They don't care worth anything if you nice bike gets destroyed and if it does you will go threw hell getting anything for the value of you bike.
Take care,
Mctigre,
P.S. Get a Hard Case!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Airline charges are comletely arbitrary. It doesn't matter what there online pllicy states, the ticket agent will charge you whatever they want. Generally $80-$100 each way is pretty standard although on several occassions I have gotten thorugh for free. I'm goign on a trip to switzerland in august and Lufthansa told me it is up to the agent's discretion but the total cost for both my wife and my bikes would range newteen $300 and $2000 for teh entire trip. That was after I gave them the exact dimensiosn and weight of teh bags. Needless to say I booked with British airways instead since they carry for free!

·
Registered
42 Posts
generally i have used the post office - it's about $40 each way (depending on where you're sending it obviously) pack it well and protect things like dérailleurs - i once unpacked to find the rear one very broken - in all my shipping that is the only problem i have ever had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.