Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking about going to France next summer to see the 2005 Tour and would appreciate any travel tips/past experiences from others who have been to see the Tour. I think we'd prefer to travel on our own rather than book a package vacation. Any info will be helpful!

·
Registered
174 Posts
ludwell said:
We are thinking about going to France next summer to see the 2005 Tour and would appreciate any travel tips/past experiences from others who have been to see the Tour. I think we'd prefer to travel on our own rather than book a package vacation. Any info will be helpful!
Day trip to the stages! Stay in Spain or Switzerland or whereever but give the French as little as possible - viva la America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah... Dont stand in the middle of the road and get out of the way at the last millasecond.
I bet a bunch of those riders wish they had some sort of automatic pepperspray shooters mounted to their bikes.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Arrive early.

The best stages to watch are the mountain stages, as riders are moving slowly, and they tend to get spread out more which gives you more to watch. For the same reason, time trials are good events.

Make sure you arrive early. They close the roads to cars hours before the riders come through on the mountain stages. If you're on a bike they are a bit more lenient, but they will stop you riding before the peloton arrives.

The caravan (publicity cars throwing out freebies) comes through about an hour before the riders. The timestable with expected arrival times is published on the official website before the event so you will be able to plan your schedule pretty well.

If you are following the event, its also good to go to the start/finish of a stage as you get to mingle pretty closely with the riders, teambuses, mechanics, etc. If you get lucky booking your hotel, you can even get to meet the riders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.