Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.
I am from Spain and in a few days I will be in Portland. I have one free day and I like to have a ride in the area. I have never been in Portland and I need some help. I prefer mtb XC or all montain but road bike is also ok.
Could anyone recomend me some very good/funny/beatiful track?
Something around 40-50 miles and 4000-6500 ft elevation.
I will be in portland downtown.
Where can I rent a bike?

Thanks
Juan

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,883 Posts
Will you have a car? Bike rentals are really expensive in Portland, for some reason. Fat Tire Farm has nice rigs to rent. If you have a car, I would recommend hitting Sandy Ridge. There is ton of info on the area if you do a search. Just got back from a great ride there. The climbing is on a closed road, and there are quite a few options for descending.

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,883 Posts
Could I go by bus and rent there?
I'm not sure if Tri-met (transit system) goes all the way there. It is about an hour away. There really is no good riding in Portland, unfortunately. You could try catching a ride with someone by posting here or on the Northwest Trail Alliance facebook page, or the facebook page called PDX Area MTB Rippers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's some info on Sandy Ridge (includes the trail map as of June 2014):

Sandy Ridge Trail System Details Oregon/Washington BLM

The web site also mentions the possibility of using public transportation (MAX light rail from downtown Portland to Gresham, Sandy Area Metro from Gresham to Sandy, Mountain Express from Sandy to Mt Hood RV Village) to access the trail from Portland, although I don't have any experience with it.

There's also the Stub Stewart State Park (has a MTB-only area in addition to shared trails), which is also accessible via public transportation (MAX from downtown Portland to Hillsboro) and some riding (Tualatin Valley Scenic Bikeway to Banks-Vernonia State Trail, get off at Stub Stewart). It's quite a trek though...

Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: L.L. Stub Stewart State Park
Tualatin Valley Scenic Bikeway - Ride Oregon Ride

I know you can carry your bike at least on the MAX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's some info on Sandy Ridge (includes the trail map as of June 2014):

Sandy Ridge Trail System Details Oregon/Washington BLM

The web site also mentions the possibility of using public transportation (MAX light rail from downtown Portland to Gresham, Sandy Area Metro from Gresham to Sandy, Mountain Express from Sandy to Mt Hood RV Village) to access the trail from Portland, although I don't have any experience with it.

There's also the Stub Stewart State Park (has a MTB-only area in addition to shared trails), which is also accessible via public transportation (MAX from downtown Portland to Hillsboro) and some riding (Tualatin Valley Scenic Bikeway to Banks-Vernonia State Trail, get off at Stub Stewart). It's quite a trek though...

Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: L.L. Stub Stewart State Park
Tualatin Valley Scenic Bikeway - Ride Oregon Ride

I know you can carry your bike at least on the MAX.
Thanks, I will probably do some of the last link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts