Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm traveling to Rio de Janeiro with my Santa Cruz Tallboy C R and i'm bringing my work PC with me. I bought a evoc bike bag and i'm flying American Airlines. The website says that the 1st checked bag is free and the 2nd is $65. Per bicycles: "Standard checked bag fees of your destination apply up to 50 lbs / 23 kgs and 126 in / 320 cm (length + width + height) or $150 fee applies from 51 lbs / 23 kgs to 70 lbs / 32 kgs. "

I measured the case to be 54"+33"+16"=103" and if I remove some parts I should be able to get the weight under 50lbs.
I'm thinking this is my strategy:

Carry on bag: PC, monitor, mouse
1st checked bag: Bike + helmet
2nd checked bag: Keyboard, clothing, rotors, seat, etc. whatever to get the bike bag under 50lbs.

I did this flight before, but never checked a bag! I'm just feeling nervous because I never traveled with a lot of things. Already I have receipts for my bike and gopro so customs won't give me a problem. I'm just looking for any insight, comments, whatever to help me prepare for this! Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Pad the frame with packing foam, everywhere, the whole thing. Tape/zip tie or somehow secure any and all moving parts so nothing moves or rubs. Secure everything to the bag, especially the wheels. Pad or take off the rotors so they don't bend. Deflate the tires if you can and leave them dry (if you have sealant, be aware that customs might make you deflate them in the airport and you'll risk getting sealant all over the place). Cram light pieces like clothing into any space between the frame and parts to further protect it and not add weight. Heavy parts can then go in your other luggage.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,560 Posts
Double check the $150 bike fee covers international flights--assuming you're traveling from another country. I've paid $150 per bike traveling on AA from AZ to MO before.

If this is international, also check Brazil's customs requirements for both incoming and outgoing flights.

·
No known cure
4,063 Posts
Get a hard shell box. Stuff it full of everything and pay the fee.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,996 Posts
Some of the US airlines have outrageous fees for bicycles.

Delta and Alaska recently (within the last few years) went back to "reasonable" charges, treating it as another piece of luggage. Sometimes though, overweight will still apply and you'll still pay more if it's more than 50lbs. Hard cases are always going to be more than 50lbs. My evoc comes in under 50lbs usually, but I have to take some parts off of my enduro bike to get there.

·
No known cure
4,063 Posts
Some of the US airlines have outrageous fees for bicycles.

Delta and Alaska recently (within the last few years) went back to "reasonable" charges, treating it as another piece of luggage. Sometimes though, overweight will still apply and you'll still pay more if it's more than 50lbs. Hard cases are always going to be more than 50lbs. My evoc comes in under 50lbs usually, but I have to take some parts off of my enduro bike to get there.
Some airlines have a flat fee, including transfers from sister airlines. I pay $100 from LAX on Jet Blue transferring to Icelandair. Surfboards are the same. It bothers me that some airlines charge for bikes but not golf clubs.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,996 Posts
Some airlines have a flat fee, including transfers from sister airlines. I pay $100 from LAX on Jet Blue transferring to Icelandair. Surfboards are the same. It bothers me that some airlines charge for bikes but not golf clubs.
I think that's all US airlines, they dont charge for skis or golf clubs, even when people bring these nested multi-club-set things, etc. For both Delta and Alaska, they are treated as "normal" extra luggage now, so no outrageous fee. I support these airlines because they do this. $100 one way is way up there. When it's $100, 150, 200 one way, it's better just to rent IMO and not take the chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts