Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering on how you guys look at this issue. I was at the sea otter classic and there was some bike with mondo amounts of travel. V10s, demos, all sorts of sh!t. i have a transition dirt bag with 6 inches of travel. acouple of years ago that was a long travel bike. now its kind of common for "all mountain" bikes.

so does that mean that my bike isnt a freeride bike? <<<<(that part is sarcasm)

to me it sounds like the people that think that the more travel they have will cure there inability to ride smoothly. the coolest example of this was in NWD 3 when simmons stomped that 40ish foot road gap on a 7 inch travel rm7, and bender ate sh!t on his 4,397,439 inch travel death killer squad bike. that kinda says to me that even tho i suck 6 inches of travel is all i will ever need to do the stuff i do. sure it would be cooler have a uber travel bike but do i really need it? nope.

i was just wondering your guys opinions on how much travel is necassary in a bike.

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
only th' gnarliest guys ride short travel bikes, i used to ride a rigid bike and it was just fine, my friend has been riding a ht since he started and is wat faster at dh then i'll ever be, a good example is wade simmons and bender, they do the same stuff but bender has like 43% more travel...

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
your bikes purpose is determined by you and what you use it for, if you DH on a 7/7 bike then thats great, if you DJ on a 4/6 bike then that fablous and if you XC, 4x, FR/DH all on a 8/10 then thats just fcuking fantastic...

its just speculation, dont let it get to you...

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Dude said:
so does that mean that my bike isnt a freeride bike? <<<<(that part is sarcasm)
Nah - it's never just one aspect that makes a bike. The combination of geometry, suspension, and part selection together define a bike's purpose. An XC geometry and cockpit with 6" of travel is not a freeride bike. It's a suicide machine on the super steep gnarlies and big drops. Might as well break out the 10-speed and start dirtjumping it just because it's a hardtail. Actually, some nut did that at a competition at Whistler, I think. He cased it hard the first time and then threw down again and nailed the tabletop. He got huge props from the crowd because everybody knows it's not the right tool for the job, even though it has no suspension and therefore lots of pop.

Anyway, your bike is still a badass freeride bike 6", 8", or 10" of travel. It's in the geometry, suspension characteristic, and part spec - not just the travel. Anybody who thinks otherwise hasn't spent enough time riding different bikes in tough terrain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.