Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Sportworks.

keetowah said:
I'm considering getting a Scalpel, but I currently have a full-sized pick-up and I use fork mounts to carry my current bike. What are some of the systems that people use to carry their Cannondale's that have the Lefty fork? Will it fit on a hitch mount like this

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17098&subcategory_ID=4411#

or is the TT to uneven for that type which would require one like this?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17093

Thanks!
Checkout the Sportworks line of back racks. All their racks are design so you don't have to take the wheel off. They even have a pickup truck bed version that doesn't need to have the wheel removed. I have the Transport version and it is sweet.

http://www.sportworks.com/stcat.asp

·
a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
238 Posts
Ruben C said:
Just as FYI "FOR ME" why shouldn't I take the wheel of my lefty?
Aside from the fact that it's a pain in the arse to unbolt the caliper and the wheel hub?
1.It's greasy (or at least should be) and that grease will get everywhere. Likely would have to be re-applied for mounting.
2.The spindle has to be remain clean and lubed
3.If you damage the spindle by bumping it or God forbid dropping it - you're in trouble.
4.The spindle bolt has be torqued to spec when re-applied.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ryoninct said:
Aside from the fact that it's a pain in the arse to unbolt the caliper and the wheel hub?
1.It's greasy (or at least should be) and that grease will get everywhere. Likely would have to be re-applied for mounting.
2.The spindle has to be remain clean and lubed
3.If you damage the spindle by bumping it or God forbid dropping it - you're in trouble.
4.The spindle bolt has be torqued to spec when re-applied.
Thanx for the info, so that Left fork adapter thing i've seen on the market, is a stupid purchase. :rolleyes:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
keetowah said:
Ha I've just done a lot of spinning to it....good beats!
Yeah, Aphex Twin has some very good and almost scientifically constructed beats... Some are a bit too unregular for spinning IMO but it might simulate the frequent changes of pace that mountain biking requires... :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Grandmastermbkr said:
I have been wanting a Sportsworkd rack and went to their website and saw where they no longer take orders they sold to Thrule. :confused:
You could never order the racks direct from Sportworks anyway. I had to order mine through an authorized dealer.

You can now get it from any Thule dealer. It should be easier to get because their are more Thule dealers than Sportworks dealers. Thule will probably do a better job marketing the racks with a bigger distribution network.

My buddy and I both have the Sportworks Transport. I know a couple other guys with cheaper brands. Hands down the Sportworks rack is way better. I don't have to put extra bungy cords like my friends with the cheap stuff.

Beware that the Sportworks Transport comes in 2 version. The fat tire version call the Mad Phat and the standard version. I think the standard version can only take up to 2.3s or 2.4s. The Mad Phat can take up to 3.0s I have the Mad Phat version which can take the fat tires of my Gemini. I can also haul my skinny tire road bike in the Mad Phat version.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about locking mechanisms with the sportsworks, I bring my bike to work and would need a decent lock on it. Do you have to use a separate cable lock? I couldn't tell by the picks whether it had one built in, and the tech info didn't state so I assume it doesn't.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
Ruben C said:
Thanx for the info, so that Left fork adapter thing i've seen on the market, is a stupid purchase. :rolleyes:
No it's fine, you just need to excersize a tiny bit of caution and patience, there are other options out there, but it is by far the cheapest, and if you have a fork mount rack already, just be aware of what was previously stated, and don't be a knucklehead about it, you will be fine. The whole process, thoughtfully completed takes about 1.5 minutes, and if done right, it's clean grease, into a clean greasy tube, so no mess, no regreasing.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
keetowah said:
What about locking mechanisms with the sportsworks, I bring my bike to work and would need a decent lock on it. Do you have to use a separate cable lock? I couldn't tell by the picks whether it had one built in, and the tech info didn't state so I assume it doesn't.
The Sportswork Transport that I have has no locking device. I use a NY chain. I use to take my old bike to work and just leave the bike locked to the rack. I haven't brought my new Gemini to work. I know thieves can't get the frame and wheelset since it locked to the rack. I was worried about the components being ripped off. I finally brought my new Gemini to work by locking it in the staircase. Only the offices on the floor has the key to the staircase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Insta-Gater?

RideOrDieDan

Is the truck rack you have the Insta-Gater? I'm in the same position where I need something to transport my Scalpel. I have a truck with just a bedliner and no existing rack. The Insta-Gater looks like it would be perfect if it worked well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
cripen said:
RideOrDieDan

Is the truck rack you have the Insta-Gater? I'm in the same position where I need something to transport my Scalpel. I have a truck with just a bedliner and no existing rack. The Insta-Gater looks like it would be perfect if it worked well.
it works really good! I think I bought it the begining of june last year and still using it today, but with a Kona instead. also I have used it with road bike and a Big-hit with some big fat tires on it. maybe 2.5 or 2.6 and it seemed to still have lots of room. I will think that thing will work as long as I have my truck. I don't have a bedliner so I don't know how it will work with that. I would assume it would be a problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rec Rac

I use a Rec Rac attatched to the side rail of my truck. It doesn't interfere with carrying anything in the bed when not in use, plus it mounts the bike close to the side so you have room for more bikes or camping gear. You can buy a cable lock that goes through the mounting screw and around your bike. I mount mine around the Lefty spindle in the front and the crank arm on the rear. Go to www.recrac.com. Here are some pix.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.