Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with my tugnutt lately.Basically, my chain length is exactly so that the tugnutt doesn't fit. In the first hole, the screw is maxed out and the chain is a bit too loose and in the second hole the screw is backed out all the way and the chain is a bit too tight.

Not a big deal, I thought, until today on a climb my wheel slid forward and bent the screw into an S-shape. :eek: Obviously I hadn't tightened the axle nut enough, and with the screw at max length it was at its weakest.

So, I'll keep the tugnutt on the non-drive side to open bottles for now. Anyone know if I can get a replacement screw? Searching on-line I'm not seeing anything. Otherwise, I guess I can try to find a long bolt at LBS or the hardware store.

Too add insult to injury, I lost my Jethro Tule on the ride. After I pulled it out of my saddle bag to re-tighten the nuts, I just dropped it in my pocket and it went missing. :(

Still, it was a great ride. A 12 km climb to the top of a mountain culminating in taking the wrong "trail" and spending an hour carrying our bikes while bushwhacking back up the mountainside. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Anthony

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bones get broke said:
Have you ever tried to shorten your chain to pull the wheel farther forward in the dropouts?
Actually, I just moved it back a link to get to where I was. With the wheel farther forward, my Rampages were rubbing the chainstays when I stood up and hammered.

Adding to my rear wheel issues, when I cranked my rear wheel on this weekend I cracked the locknut (the inside one that fits against the cone). I've now broken both locknuts on my rear Surly hub in a few months. Anyone else do this, or am I just lucky?

Fortunately, LBS had a couple of nice strong-looking ones to replace them. Still love those hubs though, other than the locknut issue they've been rock solid.

Regards,
Anthony

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
anthony.delorenzo said:
I've now broken both locknuts on my rear Surly hub in a few months.
That is so olde skool, the "tighten it, then torque till it breaks" method. :D

I use a torque wrench now, and do not break things like that like I did for years. I practice tightening wheel nuts by hand and then verify with the torque wrench for those times when I actually get a flat, but always use the torque wrench for maintenance at home. I know you said you lost your Jethro Tule, but the short lever arm on it helps to prevent that gorilla (sic) tactic. ;)

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slocaus said:
That is so olde skool, the "tighten it, then torque till it breaks" method. :D
I use a torque wrench now, and do not break things like that like I did for years.
Yeah... Problem was, after having no movement for the first four months on this wheel, I had a wheel slide twice on one ride. So I guess I was pissed when I got back and decided to torque the snot out of it.

Not sure when I broke the first one, I only noticed it after the fact.

It's the only time I've had a problem over-torquing something, despite being a big ham-fisted ape:rolleyes:. Someday I'll spring for a torque wrench though.

Regards,
Anthony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.