Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just curious to see what others are going to be in Fernie this weekend for the start of the race. The weather forecast looks great (20c/29c, pop 10%/30%) which should make for a fantastic week of suffering.
My wife and I will be The Dirrrrty Deadgoats, I'm on a blue/white RM Element TO and she's on a black/red GF Sugar. Say hi as you pass by.

See 'ya,
Deadgoat Dave

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
calgarydave said:
Hi,

Just curious to see what others are going to be in Fernie this weekend for the start of the race. The weather forecast looks great (20c/29c, pop 10%/30%) which should make for a fantastic week of suffering.
My wife and I will be The Dirrrrty Deadgoats, I'm on a blue/white RM Element TO and she's on a black/red GF Sugar. Say hi as you pass by.

See 'ya,
Deadgoat Dave
I'll be there with my teammate, FritZman. We are team AM-Tech.ca. See ya in a couple days!

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
markom said:
Congrats for finishing in 15th place!
Care to post race report?

Here's on race diary by Team Sugoi: http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/3951/v/1/sp/
Actually, we finished 18th overall.

Stage 7 started-out perfect. We were sitting comfortably in 15th overall and were planning on taking it easy (relatively) and just wanted to make it to Canmore in one piece. We had our sights set on the 14th place team (214), as well as, the 16th place team (110)...just in case.

We had a smokin' start and steered clear of a few very bad crashes near the beginning. Once Fritz and I settled into our groove (finally some really nice, tight, technical singletrack), we were flyin' and found ourselves top 10 at the first 2 checkpoints.

Then, with the finish getting closer and closer, Lady Luck dealt us a cruel card of bad luck, when during the short 51km Stage (but the most technical of all Stages), Fritz's freewheel blew-up about half-way through the Stage (approx 20km from the finish). Without a freewheel, he couldn't pedal....just spun, and spun and spun. DNF'ing was not an option being so close to the finish. So, I towed him out of the singletrack and up the road to the Nordic Center in Canmore (absolutely gorgeous!). Also, Fritz did plenty of running with the bike, despite having a very sore achilles tendon from the previous day's hike-a-bikes.

It took a while, but eventually teams were whizzing by us and we could nothing to stop it....we did everything we could to minimize the damage. In the end, after lots of towing, hike-a-bikes, etc., we ultimately crossed the Finish Line [just ahead of Cristina Begy's Team (2nd place females)]....exhausted, but done.

In hindsight, it could have been much worse. We could have been at the beginning of the 100km Stage when it blew, etc., so although it was bad luck, there was some silver lining. Also, it was the last day, so we didn't have to worry about the following day, replacing the freewheel (if the shops had one), etc.

Along the way, nearly every team offered us assistance, slight pushes, cheers, etc., which really helped, but ultimately, it was up to us to get to the finish. This is just the way the race is....everyone is suffering, but is always willing to help-out a fellow racer/rider. Truly a remarkable thing!

In the end, we lost over 40 minutes and, not only had to give-up our 15th position, but had to settle for 18th overall. As luck would have it, or not, we were actually way up on the 14th position team and could have jumped into 14th overall. Fritz and I were both somewhat disappointed, but we had met all of our goals and still remained intact at the Finish....I lost count of the number of busted frames, forks, parts, etc., not to mention, the bodily injuries that plagued the field, plus the number of Teams that were no longer together. Funny how racing 600+km across the Rockies has a way of breaking not only metal, but flesh, bones and teams.

As soon as we crossed the line, we grabbed our bags, bike boxes and headed to the Hotel where we quickly cleaned-up, disassembled our bikes and caught the shuttle bus to Calgary. We grabbed a quick bite to eat at the airport and hopped on the plane...which ultimately sat for an additional hour since our pilots were late arriving...that was nice :(

We arrived home early Sunday morning at 2:30am, spent, but very satisfied with our race....truly the race/ride of a lifetime. As much as I thought I would sleep when I got home, I was up at 6:30am when I heard the lovely sounds of my Kids' voices. When they say me come down the stairs, the simple words of "Daddy!" nearly brought tears to my eyes. It was sooo nice to be home.

Despite the devastating freewheel incident, everything went really well for us and our bikes - unlike other Teams. During Stage 3 (the muddiest I have ever been or seen), my derailleur got tangled-up in my spokes and severely bent my replaceable derailleur hanger. Fortunately, I had a spare hanger with me and the hanger did what it was supposed to do...bend and save the derailleur. We lost minimal time (maybe 5 min). Then, on Stage 4 while plummeting down a gravel access road at 70km + and drafting Fritz, I nailed a large rock and flatted. Again, time lost was minimal. It's nice to have a partner to help with flats, etc.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
uno-speedo said:
Great result Mike!

Any probs with the new bike? I'd be interested in how the brakes held up as I just splashed out on a set.

Nik.
My new Titus Racer-X 100 worked beautifully during the race! Especially, on the downhills!

The only issue I had with it was during the nasty Stage 3 mud-fest when my rear SRAM X.0 rear derailleur got tangled-up in my spokes and bent my rear derailleur hanger. Fortunately, the hanger did what it was supposed to do and bent to save the rear derailleur. Fritz and I worked together to quickly replace the hanger and I had no other issues....with the exception of 1 flat during Stage 4.

The odd thing was, I was mentioning to other teams about my rear derailleur hanger incident and they seemed shocked that I was able to fix it during the race. "Well, I brought a spare hanger with me...just in case!" A few would say: "Oh, that's a great idea! I have a spare hanger, but have it with my stuff at camp." Well, hangers typically don't bend while the bike is sitting around the camp idle ;) ...they are going to bend while being ridden/raced, so it is best to have a hanger with you while actually riding.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike & Fritz

Congrats on an outstanding effort! To add some perspective to your top 20 placing, some fast friends of mine (2 of the top age 30-40 Experts in Alberta) finished 22nd (or near there) with much suffering. For you guys to come out here from the relative flatlands of Ottawa and place that well is very impressive. Was my advice about gearing validated on Racehorse Pass?

My wife and I, after she sweared never to do the TR again, are already formulating training plans for next year. We're not sure if we'll do it together, likely finding two other unwitting but eager victims to drag along for 600kms.

As for a full TR report, it'll have to wait a week or so as we're off to jolly old England for her sister's wedding. Too much warm beer might "influence" my recall of our TR heroics beyond rational belief.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
158 Posts
1speed_Mike said:
Actually, we finished 18th overall.

Stage 7 started-out perfect. We were sitting comfortably in 15th overall and were planning on taking it easy (relatively) and just wanted to make it to Canmore in one piece. We had our sights set on the 14th place team (214), as well as, the 16th place team (110)...just in case.

We had a smokin' start and steered clear of a few very bad crashes near the beginning. Once Fritz and I settled into our groove (finally some really nice, tight, technical singletrack), we were flyin' and found ourselves top 10 at the first 2 checkpoints.

Then, with the finish getting closer and closer, Lady Luck dealt us a cruel card of bad luck, when during the short 51km Stage (but the most technical of all Stages), Fritz's freewheel blew-up about half-way through the Stage (approx 20km from the finish). Without a freewheel, he couldn't pedal....just spun, and spun and spun. DNF'ing was not an option being so close to the finish. So, I towed him out of the singletrack and up the road to the Nordic Center in Canmore (absolutely gorgeous!). Also, Fritz did plenty of running with the bike, despite having a very sore achilles tendon from the previous day's hike-a-bikes.

It took a while, but eventually teams were whizzing by us and we could nothing to stop it....we did everything we could to minimize the damage. In the end, after lots of towing, hike-a-bikes, etc., we ultimately crossed the Finish Line [just ahead of Cristina Begy's Team (2nd place females)]....exhausted, but done.

In hindsight, it could have been much worse. We could have been at the beginning of the 100km Stage when it blew, etc., so although it was bad luck, there was some silver lining. Also, it was the last day, so we didn't have to worry about the following day, replacing the freewheel (if the shops had one), etc.

Along the way, nearly every team offered us assistance, slight pushes, cheers, etc., which really helped, but ultimately, it was up to us to get to the finish. This is just the way the race is....everyone is suffering, but is always willing to help-out a fellow racer/rider. Truly a remarkable thing!

In the end, we lost over 40 minutes and, not only had to give-up our 15th position, but had to settle for 18th overall. As luck would have it, or not, we were actually way up on the 14th position team and could have jumped into 14th overall. Fritz and I were both somewhat disappointed, but we had met all of our goals and still remained intact at the Finish....I lost count of the number of busted frames, forks, parts, etc., not to mention, the bodily injuries that plagued the field, plus the number of Teams that were no longer together. Funny how racing 600+km across the Rockies has a way of breaking not only metal, but flesh, bones and teams.

As soon as we crossed the line, we grabbed our bags, bike boxes and headed to the Hotel where we quickly cleaned-up, disassembled our bikes and caught the shuttle bus to Calgary. We grabbed a quick bite to eat at the airport and hopped on the plane...which ultimately sat for an additional hour since our pilots were late arriving...that was nice :(

We arrived home early Sunday morning at 2:30am, spent, but very satisfied with our race....truly the race/ride of a lifetime. As much as I thought I would sleep when I got home, I was up at 6:30am when I heard the lovely sounds of my Kids' voices. When they say me come down the stairs, the simple words of "Daddy!" nearly brought tears to my eyes. It was sooo nice to be home.

Despite the devastating freewheel incident, everything went really well for us and our bikes - unlike other Teams. During Stage 3 (the muddiest I have ever been or seen), my derailleur got tangled-up in my spokes and severely bent my replaceable derailleur hanger. Fortunately, I had a spare hanger with me and the hanger did what it was supposed to do...bend and save the derailleur. We lost minimal time (maybe 5 min). Then, on Stage 4 while plummeting down a gravel access road at 70km + and drafting Fritz, I nailed a large rock and flatted. Again, time lost was minimal. It's nice to have a partner to help with flats, etc.
Congrats Mike. Really sorry about the freewheel since you and Fritz were getting stronger as the race progressed. My partner and I didn't have many mechanicals besides a busted chain at the start of day 3 but we missed the markings (our own fault) on two days and that cost us over and hour. We ended up 19th overall...140-Team Hops.

Good riding
The goat

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
mp3 said:
Congrats Mike. Really sorry about the freewheel since you and Fritz were getting stronger as the race progressed. My partner and I didn't have many mechanicals besides a busted chain at the start of day 3 but we missed the markings (our own fault) on two days and that cost us over and hour. We ended up 19th overall...140-Team Hops.

Good riding
The goat
Thanks! Both Fritz and I felt the same way. We had noticed ourselves moving slowly up the ranks and were letting it all out during Stage 7. Then, bam! (or crack, in this case). It all went to hel1....fast. Ah well, you gotta take the good with the bad...such is racing, especially in the TR. Absolutely no regrets!

Cheers to all the DeadGoats who encouraged us (and everyone) during each of the Stages! You guys (and gals) have an amazing group/team...keep it up!

·
Registered
529 Posts
1speed_Mike said:
WTB. Not sure of the specific model or version.
It was a WTB Lazer Disk hub. Previously the bearings sometimes gave me issues, but I've never seen a freehub go so bad so fast. Boom, zero drive/resistance/noise...

CalgaryDave - believe it or not, I ran a 12/30 cassette with a 22 granny. Honestly, maybe only once I felt a shorter gear would have helped (day 6 up the switchbacks on Jumping Pound), besides the slow cadence I was fairly comfortable out there.

Day 7 was a major disappointment, especially since it started so well. We managed to get a tow with the Fernie ******** (broken chain near the start), Kona Masters team, and lead mix team right down the TransCanada. Then we hooked up with a couple quick locals to scream through the single track to the gravel pit. After the gravel pit in the soft loamy singletrack, my hub started to fail and finally died along the powerlines.

What an experience though. My Achilles tendons are just starting to feel better today. I'm going to do my first ride tonight my son.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts