Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own and use the TricoSports IronCase. It gets the job done. It fits my Large Specialized Sumpjumper FSR. The first time that I used I thought, no way, but it fits.

I manage to fit my bike, camel back, helmet, shoes, light, tools, etc. I have flown with it three times and here are some tips. I have a long bolt (I think that it came with the case) that has 4 wing nuts on it and no top, it is just the threaded part of the bolt. Put this into the rear droputs where your rear tire would normally go and snug the wing nuts on either side. This will protect your frame. You don't have to worry about it on the fork because it will be lying flat in the case. Also get a small box or Tupperware container and put the topcap, spacers, tools, and other small items in it. I would also suggest that you throw plenty of rags into the case. You can use them to wrap and protect parts/frame and you will be happy that you have them in your hotel or wherever.

Tape a business card and a sign that reads " I really like my bike, please dont throw it."on the outside of the case. While waiting at the baggage claim oversize area the luggage guy throw my bike down the chute. I couldn't see past the rubber flaps hanging from the ceiling but I could certainly hear it coming. Smashed hard into the metal backstop. A***hole.

Keep all the lubes and chemicals home. They won't let you take them and you will have to throw them out in the airport. Also a lot of times you will pack it perfectly and then at the airport the screeners will have to open it up for further inspection. Chances are they aren't as concerned about packing your bike as much as you are. You can wait and observe their secondary screening and instruct them on how to close it back up. You can't touch the box once you give it to them but you can observe.

Final note; of the three times that I have brought my bike (all to Utah) Delta has only charged my a $50 or $80(I forget) dollar fee to check my oversize case. Officially they can do it each time each way but they have only done it once. I usually strike up a "how is your day going" conversation right about the time I think that they are going to ask for the fee.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Airline fees

Airline fees vary by the carrier. I've flown with a bicycle twice on Alaska Airlines, for no additional charges. I called and asked beforehand what their fees would be;

free for two bags, each under 50 pounds and under 60 inchs on a side. (no clue what side)

$50 for showing up with an unboxed bicycle. (and to call way in advance on that one so they'd have a box ready)

The first time I had a huge full size bike box, wheels in a seperate box, no other bags except carry on. The lady at the counter asked what was in the box, I said bicycle, and she said that'll be $50. I told her about my phone conversation, she went and asked some people, got multiple answers and gave it to me for free. The second time it was only a frame box, the lady did the same thing and the person she asked was certain that it was free (provided within bag limits).

Alaska Airlines is big into the under 50 pounds thing, I'm fairly certain they make a mint off it. My brother works there as a baggage handler. This time of year it is apparently very common for someone to pay an additional $1000-$2000 in additional bag fees for fish boxes. Last time I flew down the guy at the next counter shelled out four figures. Some people and their money, I'd haul it over to the barge line. Not as fast, but hey it's already frozen.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
If you can swing it - send it ground

If there is anyway you can swing it, send it out ground ahead of time. FedEx ground or UPS. Ship it to a friend, or call some of the local shops in the area. It's well worth saving the hassle of flying with it in most cases. Plus, you can insure it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.