Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that this is possible. Anybody know of a product that allows this? To make it all the more difficult I have a sportbike.

I've thought about adapting a trunk bike carrier but haven't tried it yet. Thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

·
Fart smeller
17,770 Posts
I know this won't help, but...

gringopapo said:
I've been told that this is possible. Anybody know of a product that allows this? To make it all the more difficult I have a sportbike.

I've thought about adapting a trunk bike carrier but haven't tried it yet. Thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.
I had a friend whose only method of transport was a motorcickle. He rigged up a rack for the back, but the back wheel of the mountain bike would roll on the ground!
He said after a few long trips doing this, he had no grease left in the bearings, so he quit doing it. :rolleyes:

D'oh!

I like the trailer idea, myself.

fp

·
Fart smeller
17,770 Posts
Ha!

gringopapo said:

Here's what you need!

I saw this on the way home today. I stopped to take the pic, and the guy came over, saw my Schwinn cruiser, and he was off. Talked a mile a minute about all the bikes he owns and this 'n' that. If it weren't for you, I never would have stopped. :p

fp

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
That dude rules.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hmm.

extensive said:
this is my friends setup

he only rides motorcycles. even in a foot of snow. hes pretty crazy
That looks like it'd work pretty well, but that's a lot of weight to be hanging on that lever-arm that far behind the motorcycle. How does it handle with the bike on there?

Any reason he doesn't swap it and have the bike facing backwards so that the rear wheel and rear triangle (most of the weight) is that much closer to the motorcycle's center of gravity?

I've got a friend who works at a machine shop that's supposed to be helping me come up with something pretty similar to that, that will attach to the mount-plate for the Givi top-box on my KLR's luggage rack. We've yet to get together and hammer out a design though. If it ever gets done I'll be sure to post pictures.

-Trevor

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Crazy, never thought about this. I don't own a car right now, only my VFR. Have to ride to the trails or catch a ride with someone with a car. Hmmmmm..... Givi makes a bunch of mounting hardware for their hard luggage, bet it could be modified.

·
Vertical Member
315 Posts
TrevorInSoCal said:
Any reason he doesn't swap it and have the bike facing backwards so that the rear wheel and rear triangle (most of the weight) is that much closer to the motorcycle's center of gravity?
Hey, a Nighthawk needs all the help it can get to get the front end off the ground. ;)

I've got a Ventura rack on the CBRXX. Thinking pretty seriously about building off that platform to haul a bike on it.

O

·
0 Posts
That is a good idea, I never thought of that before ..I was just thinking when I just set up my THULE I won from ebay...

was thinking if there was one for motorcycles and here it is ....gotta custom it but still workis ..

·
Registered
396 Posts
TrevorInSoCal said:
i'd be very surprised if the center of mass moved significantly closer to the front by switching the bike's orientation. i'd bet it's slightly in front of the seat tube or thereabouts.

mw

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
velosapiens said:
i'd be very surprised if the center of mass moved significantly closer to the front by switching the bike's orientation. i'd bet it's slightly in front of the seat tube or thereabouts.

mw

I believe you're right. Flipping the bike around would be counterproductive, as it would have to move further back so that the tire didn't crowd the motorcyclist. Notice how it extends a few inches beyond the end of the rack rail in the photo. Good call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts