Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
nrdbomber
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about two years ago i got fed up with putting racks on cars and fumbling with moto-strapping bikes in pickups, only to get to the trialhead and unpack everything. then, when i'm done riding, i just have to pack it all up again to get home!:madman:

remember when we were kids and we didn't own cars. we rode our bikes to the trailhead, rode trials, and then rode our arses back home. well, this year i sold my truck and now i just have the cross bike as my only geared bike. this works great, except when i want to ride a nice trials spot 10 miles away!

enter the burley flatbed trailer! i coaxed my partner into letting me use her sportworks rack. it bolted up to the trailer with minimum modification. the bonus is that i can pick her up at the bart station with her bike in tow and we can both ride home!:D

(note, the bike on the trailer is my dirt jump ss that is curently on c.l., haha)

Attachments

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,465 Posts
That's cool!

I also have my cross bike as my only geared bike, and hit the same issues of what to do if the trail head is 10 miles from where I am at (especially if the roads are flat - which is painful on a singlespeed). Been getting around this by just taking the cross bike on dirt. But a trailer like this would be a cool option.

Now if only I could figure out how to carry a 17 foot sea kayak on a trailer like this...

·
nrdbomber
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
or...

...i thought about the whole kayak thing. there's this company that makes really awesome long trailers that would work for kayaks, canoes, etc...

here's another company:
paddleboy

my inspiration came from the "manifest" ...portland's handmade bicycle show. burley designs was there, and they had taken their flatbed trailer (of which i own) and turned it into a bicycle hauler. their setup had fork mount racks and wheel holders...more of a road bike carrier setup. i used what i had, and spent no additional money. otherwise, i would have maybe made a plywood "deck" on which to bolt fork mounts, etc...

anyone else played with a trailer in such a way??:)

·
Registered
681 Posts
nrdbomber said:
about two years ago i got fed up with putting racks on cars and fumbling with moto-strapping bikes in pickups, only to get to the trialhead and unpack everything. then, when i'm done riding, i just have to pack it all up again to get home!:madman:

remember when we were kids and we didn't own cars. we rode our bikes to the trailhead, rode trials, and then rode our arses back home. well, this year i sold my truck and now i just have the cross bike as my only geared bike. this works great, except when i want to ride a nice trials spot 10 miles away!

enter the burley flatbed trailer! i coaxed my partner into letting me use her sportworks rack. it bolted up to the trailer with minimum modification. the bonus is that i can pick her up at the bart station with her bike in tow and we can both ride home!:D

(note, the bike on the trailer is my dirt jump ss that is curently on c.l., haha)
I love my pickup. No fumbling around just toss it in the bed and git gone. You're 'solution' is cool, though not my bag.

·
nrdbomber
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...understand

campisi said:
I love my pickup. No fumbling around just toss it in the bed and git gone. You're 'solution' is cool, though not my bag.
i understand that the trailer idea is not for everyone. i happen to no longer own a vehicle by choice. i believe that, for myself, it's not sustainable, environmentally friendly, economically feasible, or socially responsible to drive to local trailheads that are within riding distance. that being said, i don't condemn someone for driving (indeed, i still catch rides with people who drive to trails over about 25mi+ away). i'm simply making personal choices that i feel better reflect my beliefs and ideas about the sustainability of my favorite activity (cycling).

i've been continually searching for, and creating solutions that i feel are more in tune with sustainability. for example:
riding to the trailhead when feasible
using public transportation
reusing/rebuilding parts rather than purchasing new
trading parts/bikes
purchasing used parts/bikes
recycling
using the bike to run local errands/commute/travel

i realize that in the mountian biking industry, it's pretty tough to get away from some environmentally taxing practices (ie, Chinese/Taiwanese made products, mining raw materials, harsh chemicals, and petroleum based products)...therefore, i have been trying to minimize my mountian biking "footprint." after figuring some things out, it's really a lot easier than i thought. it just takes a lot more thought, time, consideration, effort, energy, etc...but i can always just eat more food.:)

·
nrdbomber
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nah

Melt said:
wouldnt it be easier to pedal the mtb than tow it?
the gearing on the trials bike is suuuuuuper low. thus, there's no way that i can pedal it over any type of long distance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.