Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
First off, I don't have experience with either of these frames.

If I were in your position, I would probably buy the Transition TransAM over the On-One, just because of what I've heard about any of Transition's bikes. I think in this situation you'll get what you pay for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
omegachicken said:
First off, I don't have experience with either of these frames.

If I were in your position, I would probably buy the Transition TransAM over the On-One, just because of what I've heard about any of Transition's bikes. I think in this situation you'll get what you pay for.
:thumbsup:
don't get me wrong, on one make very good frames at great prices but if it were my own money i'd get the transition anyday

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can't speek to the Trans-AM, but I love my On-One 456! All day comfort, beastly strong, and great descender, and a pretty good climber too. I am sure either will get you grinning from ear to ear:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things from the On One. I've never ridden or seen one for that matter. I ride a TransAM, awesome ride and fully reccomend it. However, I'd get a 140-150mm fork over a 160mm one. The frame can accept both, mine has a 140 float and a friend of mine has a 36 float on it, mine rides better (we both agreed on it, now he's buying a 150 15QR float.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The blue Inbred is NICE! How much travel on the fork, 150mm?

I've been researching the TransAM/456 Inbred/Evil Sovereign & I'm pretty sure I'll be going w/the On-One. The $ saved on the frame can be put into better wheels, etc. later on. I'm thinking of going w/a 150mm fork too so I have more options further down the line if I ever decide I 'need' FS.

The 456 Inbred would murder my local XC trails. They'd be ridden most of the time & the frame sound slike it'd more than handle anywhere I'd take it too. Probably better than the rider...

·
Registered
194 Posts
The fork is a 2007 Marzocchi AM1SL 120-160mm. 5lbs. I pretty much keep it at 160mm. Super smooth, and it's proven to be very reliable, it's the last of the Italian Marzocchis. If you're shooting for 150, I would get the Rock Shox Revelation w/maxle light, no question, Rock Shox are super forks; reliable, smooth, great performers! Plus, they're super easy to service:D

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just preordered a brown 18" 456 Inbred frame from Unreal Cycles! Pretty psyched about seeing it in person late Jan/Feb.

I won't get it built for awhile as it'll take me longer to save for the fork + I want to get more mileage out of my beginner bike (Speesh P1 AM). It'll be fun getting all the new parts in: Deity seatpost, maybe Chromag stem/bars later.

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Know what the title of the thread is but...
Can't believe that Blue Pig hasn't been thrown out there.

If it were me (short rider) I'd be on the Trans Am just for the standover. (my junk saving situation). Plus, I like short chainstays.

Didn't do any price comparos before posting...

Or, really... I'd just look for a used or buy a new Sinister Ridge and be done with it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
jscusmcvet said:
My On One Summer Season frame is being delivered tomorrow. Have a Recon 351 (130mm) fork for it. I am trying to figure out the rest of the build as we speak. I can't wait.

John
Got my frame in. I like it. The frame is lighter than I expeced, although I did not actually weigh it. Welds and all details look superb. I have the "raw" finish, which is raw steel with some type of varnish/ clearcoat. It is different and I like it. The wheels/components I have ordered are black with some grey and I think it will make for a striking appearance. So far I have installed the stem, fork, seatpost (and clamp), rear brake and saddle. I ordered the stem, seatpost and seatpost clamp from On One. A little dissapointed in the stem. It is forged and very heavy. Also I ordered an 80mm, which, now that it is on the bike looks to be too long. I suggest 50 or 60mm and may have to back up and punt this one/

I am waiting for a shipment from Price point for my other gear. Went with a Sram build, x9 components and grip shifters. Truative 2.2 AM crankset. Also got a 11-32 rear cog, which is different for me, since I am used to the "normal" 11 -34. In combination with the grip shifter, I am hoping to get more equal use from the two front chainrings.

Final decision is pedals. I have been riding clipped in for years, but rode my friends Kona Dawg a few weeks back on platforms and was amazed, so I am thinking...

Should be in early next week. Looking forward to posting a ride report.

John

·
Registered
340 Posts
moishlashen said:
Cool John. Flip the stem on ebay if you can't send it back to on one.
Gonna ride it first and then make a call on it. Can't wait to get the rest of the build done. Psyched that wifey has my back on this one. In her words, "I think you've earned this one".... well, hell yeah, ain't that what I've been telling her all these years?

haha...

I will report back after I build and ride;)

As to the OP, the point of my posts has been to tell you that I am impressed with the quality of the On One frame and to share how I am building mine. After I report on the ride, perhpas it will help your decision. I have no experience with the Transition transam, but it looks cool as well. I am interested in the steel frame ride, since I have been on aluminum since about 1992 or so.

Best of luck to you in your decison.

John

·
Registered
940 Posts
Fleacircus said:
What do you think of it overall?
It's good for a beginner. I'm a big guy (lost weight since buying it) so fork is a bit soft so can't stand n' mash too much. The bike feels good on descents (has a lower BB than the bikes being discussed; under 12"). Basically feels solid but I haven't ridden anything else so can't compare.

I have no standover on this 19" frame & the lbs never said a word about that part of the fit. Not a huge problem but standover was def. something I considered for a new frame.

I thought about the Summer Session frame but thought it might be a bit too slack for my climbing on local trails.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
SPAM!!!

my wife can't get used to her TransAM so if anyone wants a barely used small with a few other parts PM me. its a small in orange with a ton of stickers for it.

sorry, just thought since someone is looking for one i could throw it out there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've got a 456, same blue batch as the one above. I'm 6ft 3in and got a 20" frame. Personally I can't get on the geometry. I want to try a couple of things before I give in (thinking about longer fork,currently on a 115mm Reba, shorter stem and last of all chopping it in for an 18" frame), but so far it just isn't doing it for me. Considering an Orange Crush or a Whyte 901 (UK resident).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.