Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Interesting review. I won't let my wife read it cause she is in love with her syren and she doesn't fit into the stereotype that Tiff would put her in to like it.

The one thing i don't like about reviews like this is they rag on the bikes performance because of specific parts that were put on it. People like my wife who have custom bikes are able to address a few of the problems she was talking about in just part selection.

I keep trying to talk my wife into letting me build her a full DH bike but when she is flying down all the black diamonds and a few double black diamonds as fast as some of the people in our group its hard to tell her she needs a different bike. But maybe the review is right and with a non begginer bike she could be a DH racer because according to the article she is currently being held back by her bike because she has owned it for more than one year.

·
Registered
769 Posts
wow...that is an interesting review.i completely agree with erik. I have to say i also don't really agree with the review. I've sold two syrens to pros and they couldn't be happier. Maybe it is because it's not their only bike, but they just adore the bikes.
I do see where the reviewer is coming from. I think i expected the syren to act more like the covert, kind of a one bike only type thing. Even with the same build kits, the syren does seem to be a little less usable. I never really thought about it though.

as far as dialing the suspension in, you really have to spend time with dialing it in. I've had to go out twice with people and spend hours trying to get it to act how i'd like it to act. If you don't have a gonzo valve, you're just SOL getting it dialed in quickly. I'd be interested to throw a roco air on it, but i haven't been able to convince a customer to put one on yet. I think it would be an advance over the dhx air

i'm sorry you didn't get a ton of support from transition, you must have caught them on a bad day because i always find them more than happy to spend time with their customers. If you're in the area, i know they'd even ride with you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
climbingbubba,

Glad your wife likes her Syren. Hopefully she will let you build her a DH bike sometime. As you know, everyone has their own taste in bikes. Neither my taste nor evidentally my own style agree with the Syren. I'd encourage you to call Transition and ask them about the bike yourself if you question the original design intent that I described. Interestingly though, it sounds like the bike did for your wife exactly what both the article and Transition said it would, get a rider up to speed quickly and ready to move up to the next level after a year.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback on the article, happy riding.

Tiffany

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
I wouldn't say it did exactly what you said. she had two other bikes before it and was progressing pretty fast anyway. She rode a ton of black diamond trails in whistler on a kona dawg. Once we got her on a Syren (after 2 years of other bikes) she seemed to learn even faster. She has pedalled it on 20 mile XC trails and rode Freeride trails the next day.

like nate above said. Lots of very experience women riders are quite happy with the syren. I have seen pictures of girls hitting 20+ foot gaps and others competing at womens crankworx. I also agree with him when he said that it shouldn't be a girls only bike. I think its the perfect bike for my wife for 50-60% of the riding we do. she also has an XC hardtail and getting her a DH bike would round it all out nicely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like it really works for her, that's great. I agree that it's not a girls only bike. I believe I stated that in the article, but maybe I needed to be more clear. Yeah, I rode that bike on everything from Mammoth gondi runs to big 30 mile loops here in SB and it just never won my heart. I'm glad it works for your wife and the others out there who love it.

Have fun out on the trails!

Tiff

·
aaarrrggghh!
631 Posts
Hmmmm....

Not trying to be a dick here but I would like to have seen some riding shots included in the review as proof of the rider taking this bike beyond it's intended audience. Secondly, and I know the bike comes spec'ed with it, but I'm not a fan of the DHX Air and it probably sagged too far into the travel because of mid stroke wallow.

I think you might be a bit harsh in your assessment of the bike but it was a very well written and a very thorough review. Hopefully you find a bike that fits your needs better.

I know one of the 30 females that provided lots of input to the bikes design and her ability went up ten-fold while riding this bike. Maybe that's the point though.

·
not a forum admin
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ivan the Terrible said:
I know one of the 30 females that provided lots of input to the bikes design and her ability went up ten-fold while riding this bike. Maybe that's the point though.
Sounds to me like you hit the nail on the head. And really, what is wrong with that?

I wish my 1st dh/fr bike had done that rather than the simi-mess that it was.

To me, for my wife, who rides twice a year at northstar but wont let me sell her bike. If i had known, I would have got her a syren because her bike while good, suffers from a heavy front end and a non progressive enough rear end. she sits and rides. i'd love to get her on a syren to see how she progresses.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
I think that the review was actually done pretty well. If I were writing that review and received that feedback from the actual designer of the frame, I'd be inclined to take it at/near face value as well. Tiff, I appreciate you making such a substantial effort.

There are 2 very significant factors to consider here though.
1 - The suitability of the bike for a particular level of rider is being overstated. Every accomplished rider comes to understand that it's 90% rider, 10% bike. The Syren will work for any girl who makes it work. If I had a dollar for every time I saw some kid on a clapped out kona busting a huge can or how about the crazy Aussie dude on a C-Dale Rush who made an admirable effort to hold my rear tire on successive Freight train runs, containers, DM creek gap, big GLC and all... It's the rider folks, it's the rider.

2 - The suspension characteristics are as much a result of the shock tune as the suspension design its self. The DHX-A is legendary in it's reluctance to be tuned for the performance levels that the reviewer was seeking. Swapping for a more aggressive shock could improve small bump compliance and access to more of the travel, reduce squat while climbing and all at a sag rate that is conducive to better cornering. I'm not saying that the reviewer should have run different rear shocks or speculated on exactly how it would perform with alternate dampers. Just, it would be helpful for a beginner to understand that there are ways of mitigating the stated suspension concerns to a large extent.

Anyway, thanks for the review Tiff. My wife is not in the market, she rides a Socom for the big stuff, but I'm stoked to see a review from a girlz point of view.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts