Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1950 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
More than likely the brake rotor getting slight heat distortion which goes away as it cools. What rotors are they? Floating rotors can show this behaviour. I get it all the time with the Shimano IceTech rotors.

·
Registered
288 Posts
More than likely the brake rotor getting slight heat distortion which goes away as it cools. What rotors are they? Floating rotors can show this behaviour. I get it all the time with the Shimano IceTech rotors.
Thanks! They're just the standard/stock rotors...I moved the one from the front to the rear and put the new 200 on the front.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Crazy. I just locked in a GX build with my LBS for $4999. Today I see the price went up to $5399.
Sucks, but not surprised. Try ordering lumber for a custom home, I just ordered a lumber package for a house that I built 12 months and it's 35k more today. And that's just lumber, almost every other material that goes in a house has also gone up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sucks, but not surprised. Try ordering lumber for a custom home, I just ordered a lumber package for a house that I built 12 months and it's 35k more today. And that's just lumber, almost every other material that goes in a house has also gone up.
Yup, we've cancelled most home improvement projects for the summer. We ordered our vinyl fence literally 2 days before the price went up 25%. More time to ride, as long as we don't break parts not available!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yep. I'm a home builder in KC. Lumber is OUT OF CONTROL. The government wants to step in control all kinds of other ****...welp...step on in! Because this effecting a lot of peoples ability to purchase homes. I thought when spot lumber price was bouncing off $1000 a few weeks ago and "down" do $930 we'd seen the worst of it. It's $1180 as of today.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,264 Posts
Yeah, I noticed lumber pricing, I had to repair my 6' privacy fence due to wind damage, it was overdue for a partial replacement of a few sections. Luckily this was last spring/summer, it was going up then and not surprised to hear it's even more now.

I do hope this is a covid-bubble and things will return to their previous pricing. Right now the cost of shipping as well as the occasional delays are my biggest issue. I've spent thousands on DHL Express because USPS international is f'ed and I can't pass it all on to my customers as that would likely cost me even more due to lost sales.

Got my 1st shot today though! :)

·
that guy
859 Posts
Well, it finally happened. My early build OEM SID Ultimate fork finally died, and at the worst possible time -- right in the middle of my dream trip to Moab/Fruita. In my case, the play that developed in the fork caused a bushing to bind inside the fork during compression. This resulted in some of scariest loud bangs/cracking noises I've ever heard while riding a bike. They were LOUD!! I was riding the smooth dirt on Zippity Do Da in Fruita when it happened the first time and spent 10 minutes looking for a crack in the frame. After finishing the ride, I brought the bike to a shop in Moab and they discovered the excessive play in the lowers and mentioned potential damage to the stanchions.

Had to cut the big trip short... serious #buzzkill

That said, my fork heads off to RS tomorrow. I just hope I get the same color fork back...lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got the Spur out to the desert. Still dialing in the suspension. Hoping to get it out on some smooth mountain dirt soon. Thinking about swapping the rear Recon out to something with more grip in the loose.

View attachment 1925863
Yea I'm on the fence with the recon as well. Took a fall last Saturday - I was going pretty fast on a not particularly technical section of trail just roots and a few rocks, still don't know what happened but I suspect rear tire slid out from under me. Bike is fine no damage, but helmet did have a 1in ding on the side that's the only thing I had to replace. Things are so dry right now even in the North East. I might put a disector in the back as well. Does anyone have recommendations (for riding in the North East).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got the Spur out to the desert. Still dialing in the suspension. Hoping to get it out on some smooth mountain dirt soon. Thinking about swapping the rear Recon out to something with more grip in the loose.

View attachment 1925863
I made it about 3 rides before the recon I had got a slashed sidewall that was on my spur. I loved how fast it rolled, but not sure if it will hold up long where I live so I switched to a 2.3 aggressor in rear. Only one ride with it and not sure how I feel about it yet! Definitely a little more grip than the recon had but felt more draggy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea I'm on the fence with the recon as well. Took a fall last Saturday - I was going pretty fast on a not particularly technical section of trail just roots and a few rocks, still don't know what happened but I suspect rear tire slid out from under me. Bike is fine no damage, but helmet did have a 1in ding on the side that's the only thing I had to replace. Things are so dry right now even in the North East. I might put a disector in the back as well. Does anyone have recommendations (for riding in the North East).
I built up a frame and had a set of wheels already with aggressor in the back and dhf in the front. Not as fast as stock set up but great control. When I race I usually put on an ikon in the rear and ardent race in the front. Works well here in the Ozark mountains.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I do hope this is a covid-bubble and things will return to their previous pricing. Right now the cost of shipping as well as the occasional delays are my biggest issue. I've spent thousands on DHL Express because USPS international is f'ed and I can't pass it all on to my customers as that would likely cost me even more due to lost sales.

Got my 1st shot today though! :)
I doubt once everything will calm down and go back to "normal" in the next couple of years, the companies will go back to the old prices... :confused:
The only way to cut prices is to vote with our feet...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I noticed that when I remove all the air from the SIDLuxe and compress it all the way, it actually bottoms at ~42.5mm, rather than 45mm. This sounds minuscule, but coupled with the leverage rate, that's about 6mm of wheel travel remaining.

Is that the same case for anyone else here? I'm also wondering if maybe that last 2.5mm is just a relatively firm bottom out bumper that'll compress a bit on an actual impact.

·
No Clue Crew
7,171 Posts
Haven’t had that issue on the shock; I can blow the o-ring off the shaft on drops. Definitely noticed it on the fork. I can’t even compress it to the max travel line with no spacers and no air. Definitely can’t bottom it when aired up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That said, my fork heads off to RS tomorrow. I just hope I get the same color fork back...lol
Haven’t had that issue on the shock; I can blow the o-ring off the shaft on drops. Definitely noticed it on the fork. I can’t even compress it to the max travel line with no spacers and no air. Definitely can’t bottom it when aired up.
I sent my fork in to Rockshox for the bushing play/knock issue. They actually said that they found the bushing were too tight - not sure how that could be with the loose knocking going on.

Either way, they did send the fork back to me with new lowers in the same gold color on the stock black Spur.

I also had the same thing going on with the fork - when set at the pressure that felt like the right spring rate, I couldn't use more than ~105mm on the hardest hits. I don't necessarily care about using full travel, as I set pressure based on feel (already had 0 tokens), but now with the same pressure and (0) token configuration, I'm routinely using full travel on the same hits.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I sent my fork in to Rockshox for the bushing play/knock issue. They actually said that they found the bushing were too tight - not sure how that could be with the loose knocking going on.

Either way, they did send the fork back to me with new lowers in the same gold color on the stock black Spur.

I also had the same thing going on with the fork - when set at the pressure that felt like the right spring rate, I couldn't use more than ~105mm on the hardest hits. I don't necessarily care about using full travel, as I set pressure based on feel (already had 0 tokens), but now with the same pressure and (0) token configuration, I'm routinely using full travel on the same hits.
Interesting on the fork...same experience on my end. I did add a bottom token which allowed me to reduce the air pressure for my weight and get the proper sag as well as a really good small bump action. BUT...I'm also only using maybe 100mm on the hardest hits, which for me is nothing crazy, but I'm also 210 lbs plus gear and heavy pack, so even on a quality g-out I can blow through some travel on my Pike 140...the SID just doesn't seem to go much further than a 100mm ever.

1841 - 1860 of 1950 Posts