Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 1950 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Back to the Spur with the Cane Creek Coil, yes it's a 190x51 so the stroke is too long, but the fit of a 45 would be the same. It's from the older 2017 Scout. I put it on there just to answer the question and am not riding it.
Great to hear everyone out riding and best of luck to everyone who is still waiting!
thanks for doing this for me. Its a bit too close for comfort for me, springs do move about (and expand outwards when compressed) so will stick to the SID.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've been badgering my LBS, but Windwave have just not been that responsive. They just say they don't even know what is in the next shipment, so can't give an eta, which is a bit ridiculous.

I'm in the Isle of Man, so not so easy to deal with any other stores.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've been badgering my LBS, but Windwave have just not been that responsive. They just say they don't even know what is in the next shipment, so can't give an eta, which is a bit ridiculous.

I'm in the Isle of Man, so not so easy to deal with any other stores.
Its not just just transition.
I’m waiting on another bike / brand too, they said Jan, then March, now June...

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I built my Spur I installed a set of Hayes Dominum brakes but kept the SRAM rotors. Turns out the brake pads don’t match well with the rotors as the pads contact points are wider than the braking surface on the rotors. I was going to buy the Hayes rotors but they seem to be back ordered. Looking for another option and also considering going to a 203 on the front and 180 rotor on the rear, but the adapters also seem to be hard to find. Anyone else up sized the rotors?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
When I built my Spur I installed a set of Hayes Dominum brakes but kept the SRAM rotors. Turns out the brake pads don’t match well with the rotors as the pads contact points are wider than the braking surface on the rotors. I was going to buy the Hayes rotors but they seem to be back ordered. Looking for another option and also considering going to a 203 on the front and 180 rotor on the rear, but the adapters also seem to be hard to find. Anyone else up sized the rotors?
Rear needs to be 180mm,swapped mine before I even rode it. 180mm on front is working for me

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,264 Posts
I happen to have a couple of SRAM rotors in 200 and 180. I think, but am not 100% sure, the Shimano SM-MA-F180P / P2 adapter will work on both ends to run 200/180. I also believe to run a 203 rotor you'd want a Shimano or Magura adapter to go from 180 PM to 203 PM.

I just got the Shimano adapters for something like $12 each. SRAM charges $25 for some crappy spacers or whatever...

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,264 Posts
I’ve read the Hayes brakes will not work with Shimano post adaptors.
Hmm, it might take clearancing the center of the adapter a bit... maybe not ideal but if you can't get a Hayes adapter it's still better than spending $25 on SRAM's spacer kit.

does anyone here ride with cushcore pro? if so, is it rear only or f/r? thanks!
On my Enduro, yes. IMO it's too heavy for a Spur. I'd consider CC XC, Tannus and other lighter options.

·
Registered
288 Posts
does anyone here ride with cushcore pro? if so, is it rear only or f/r? thanks!
I just installed the Cushcore XC on the stock Dissector/Recon combo. Just have one ride, trail ride, combo of smooth to embedded rocks/roots, some chunk. Can't think of a reason not to do this. I'm 205 without gear, heavier pack, was as low as 21 front, 22 rear, going out of the way to run over anything. My first time on any tire mousse so I'll continue to play with pressures for different riding. The way the pressure ramps up gives a different feel. Nice to be able to air down for traction or a chattery trail. But even at the lower pressure I didn't notice any more rolling resistance.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,264 Posts
I just installed the Cushcore XC on the stock Dissector/Recon combo. Just have one ride, trail ride, combo of smooth to embedded rocks/roots, some chunk. Can't think of a reason not to do this. I'm 205 without gear, heavier pack, was as low as 21 front, 22 rear, going out of the way to run over anything. My first time on any tire mousse so I'll continue to play with pressures for different riding. The way the pressure ramps up gives a different feel. Nice to be able to air down for traction or a chattery trail. But even at the lower pressure I didn't notice any more rolling resistance.
It actually lowers rolling resistance!

I agree, inserts are far better and using them also allows both your rims AND your tires some relief from bottoming out your tire on the rim, so you can use slightly lighter gear with improved reliability. I'll be using slightly lighter carbon rims and tires than I'd normally use, but plan to use them with inserts.

I'd caution against using MUCH lower pressures though, the rim will go right through the insert if you hit something hard enough. CC XC is not quite as robust as Pro or Tannus, IME. I use it on the front tire and Tannus or CC Pro on the rear tire.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'd caution against using MUCH lower pressures though, the rim will go right through the insert if you hit something hard enough. CC XC is not quite as robust as Pro or Tannus, IME. I use it on the front tire and Tannus or CC Pro on the rear tire.
Yes, that visual of the cushcore getting eaten up by the rim at lower pressures crossed my mind! I'm running them front and rear. I can see why some run rear only and let the front be a little more progressive. Everyone is so different on how the ride and how much impact they put through them. Definitely not going any lower, probably go back up to like 23F/25R.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Finally got my frameset (ordered Sep last year). If anyone is interested, the weight of the frameset in size Large is 2.53kg.

The frameset came with this little thing - does anyone know, for what that is?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Its the shifter cable holder. It wraps around the housing and plugs into the frame above the bottom bracket.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Yes, that visual of the cushcore getting eaten up by the rim at lower pressures crossed my mind! I'm running them front and rear. I can see why some run rear only and let the front be a little more progressive. Everyone is so different on how the ride and how much impact they put through them. Definitely not going any lower, probably go back up to like 23F/25R.
Lower air volume, with an insert, increases progression of the air space in the tire.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone gets this "ding" sometimes on the front when turning hard? I think the brake disc is touching the fork when the front flexes. I put on torque caps and bigger 200mm rotors on the front before the first ride.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Finally got some shakedowns on the Spur over the weekend; mostly fast flowy, with a few semi chunky bits. Can really only reiterate what so many others have already said.

Laser....guided....rocket!

Super quick and responsive. I feel like the sensation at speed is best described as floating; you never get that sensation of being deep in the travel, but it doesn't feel harsh or like you're running out of travel either....just floating. Pumping it is like a shot of nitro....zoooooom!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Finally got some shakedowns on the Spur over the weekend; mostly fast flowy, with a few semi chunky bits. Can really only reiterate what so many others have already said.

Laser....guided....rocket!

Super quick and responsive. I feel like the sensation at speed is best described as floating; you never get that sensation of being deep in the travel, but it doesn't feel harsh or like you're running out of travel either....just floating. Pumping it is like a shot of nitro....zoooooom!!
Great description, and totally agree. For me it took a handful of rides to figure out what sag settings work for me, but I've landed on 25% sag up front and ~28% sag in the rear.

Also swapped out to 170mm cranks and a 180mm rotor in the rear, and the bike is now PERFECT. So happy with this thing. I'm still amazed how much of a difference such a small change in crank length can make, but I'm 100% a believer now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great description, and totally agree. For me it took a handful of rides to figure out what sag settings work for me, but I've landed on 25% sag up front and ~28% sag in the rear.

Also swapped out to 170mm cranks and a 180mm rotor in the rear, and the bike is now PERFECT. So happy with this thing. I'm still amazed how much of a difference such a small change in crank length can make, but I'm 100% a believer now.
I immediately went with the 180 rotor at initial build and am keeping an eye on the cranks. My local stuff is mostly pretty smooth, but if I go down south (Southern Utah) I think I'll definitely want the 170's.

Still working on the sus setup. Ran the fork at 20% over the weekend, but trying 25% next. Rear is set at 28% and honestly don't feel the need to fiddle with it, used just a hair shy of full travel over the weekend.

1801 - 1820 of 1950 Posts