Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1568 Posts

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,088 Posts
I'm getting one! :D

Large green X01 build. Will be here in May, it's a long wait but I have my Spec Enduro too. I think this bike will be perfect for long rides at high altitude. My 37 lb Enduro feels like a lot of bike on most trails that aren't extremely challenging, and it takes some effort to get it to the top. The Spur should make for a great 2nd bike!

Spur frame is 2450g, Epic Evo is 1659g, which is the lightest FS frame on the market AFAIK. I'd honestly likely have went for a '21 Stumpy but even as a rider on a race team sponsored by Spec, I can't even order one. This was the last Spur on the schedule to be delivered at my LBS, so I felt if I wanted a bike like this in early to mid '21, this may be my last chance...

Stumpy and Spur have about the same frame weight. As a 200 lb aggressive rider I think the Epic may be a little too light. I do really like the Spur's geometry and build spec though, it's darn near perfect, the only thing I really want to change is the cranks, I want 165 or 170mm crankarms instead of 175mm.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Large green X01 build. Will be here in May, it's a long wait but I have my Spec Enduro too. I think this bike will be perfect for long rides at high altitude. My 37 lb Enduro feels like a lot of bike on most trails that aren't extremely challenging, and it takes some effort to get it to the top. The Spur should make for a great 2nd bike!

Spur frame is 2450g, Epic Evo is 1659g, which is the lightest FS frame on the market AFAIK. I'd honestly likely have went for a '21 Stumpy but even as a rider on a race team sponsored by Spec, I can't even order one. This was the last Spur on the schedule to be delivered at my LBS, so I felt if I wanted a bike like this in early to mid '21, this may be my last chance...

Stumpy and Spur have about the same frame weight. As a 200 lb aggressive rider I think the Epic may be a little too light. I do really like the Spur's geometry and build spec though, it's darn near perfect, the only thing I really want to change is the cranks, I want 165 or 170mm crankarms instead of 175mm.
Lucky that you got a projected delivery date from your LBS!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
does anyone’s spur weigh 25lb?
Mine is sid and sidluxe, xmc1200 wheels, xo1 with next sl cranks, xtr brakes, carbon bars, ti saddle, mg pedals with ti spindles its like 26.7lb.
Reckon I could get it down to 26 if I swapped the magic mary on the front for a nobby nic.

i’m not sure how these stock bikes are under 25lb!!?!?
My large GX Spur started out at 28.4 lbs from TR with flat pedals.

With some changes here and there I’m at 27.09 lbs with flat pedals.

With the right tires, wheels, and components I could see a lot hitting the 25 lbs range.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,662 Posts
Mine's a large X0, all stock minus Next SL carbon wheels, Specialized Power saddle and 2.4 Maxxis Aspen/Recon Race. Right around 25.6 with pedals. Not gonna lie, it's so fast on the XC trails here that I'd have zero problem racing it in Cat 1 with it with appropriate tires.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Think Transition's weights are pretty realistic, the LBS had a medium GX that was bang on Transition's claimed 12.2kg. My Large GX started at 12.4kg without pedals and I've got it down to 12.1kg ish with battered old XT M785 Trail pedals now, still on on stock tyres, but with full X01 drivetrain and lighter Hunt XC Wide wheels. You could go way lighter, a SiD ultimate would drop 150g or so, those crazy light Roval carbon wheels and even with the stock tyres you'd be down towards 11.5kg with pedals, which is crazy light for such a capable bike. Pretty happy with the weight of mine as is. I do have the Race Day damper to put in the SiD which may drop it under 12kg, but overall I'm super happy with the bike.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

Is that frame weight difference correct? Doesn't seem right.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts

2021 Enduro and Spur are exactly what I have too. Great combo!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Subbing to this thread but also wanted to ask a question for those of you that own a spur already;

I currently have a big AM/enduro bike that is my only mtb. it weighs 36 lbs with a Zeb and coil shock, and i am pretty fast on it (actually have a couple KOMs climbing it). However, for the last couple months I've been looking for a bike that will allow me to do 50-60-70+ mile rides, with 8-10+k feet of climbing, trails would be relatively mellow single track with some rocks, nothing gnarly otherwise i'd just take my AM bike.
I was set on a SC blur tr, but i can't find one anywhere nearby, then i asked at my lbs and they have an XL spur that hasn't been taken yet. I realize that the Blur will be way more xc oriented, but im more inclined to just get the Spur as it's there and new with warranty, etc. Would the spur suffice for the riding id want to do? or would i be better served with a straight up XC bike?
thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Subbing to this thread but also wanted to ask a question for those of you that own a spur already;

I currently have a big AM/enduro bike that is my only mtb. it weighs 36 lbs with a Zeb and coil shock, and i am pretty fast on it (actually have a couple KOMs climbing it). However, for the last couple months I've been looking for a bike that will allow me to do 50-60-70+ mile rides, with 8-10+k feet of climbing, trails would be relatively mellow single track with some rocks, nothing gnarly otherwise i'd just take my AM bike.
I was set on a SC blur tr, but i can't find one anywhere nearby, then i asked at my lbs and they have an XL spur that hasn't been taken yet. I realize that the Blur will be way more xc oriented, but im more inclined to just get the Spur as it's there and new with warranty, etc. Would the spur suffice for the riding id want to do? or would i be better served with a straight up XC bike?
thanks in advance!
Spur covers a lot of bases and is very versatile. If I was going to start XC racing I would lean Blur. If I wanted a versatile bike and occasionally enter XC races I would go Spur. The Spur is a bike that is at home just about anywhere, pedals efficiently, handles just about any trail, can be raced because how efficient it is, grab that Spur right now!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would agree with the above, the spur is a great light weight trail bike that is light and efficient enough to race xc if you want, it's not all all out xc bike, but it will serve you well for long distance backcountry rides.

·
No. Just No.
5,259 Posts
I realize that the Blur will be way more xc oriented
I haven't ridden either bike, but I do have a Spur on order and have ridden lots of 100-120mm XC-ish bikes. I'd expect the Blur to be slightly more XC oriented than the Spur, but definitely not way more XC oriented (assuming similar tires and builds).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Their weights are for medium size frames and without pedals is part of it. Then add the proto to production fudge factor?
Mine is 27 on the nose with XRC 1200 carbon wheels, RF next SL crank and the stock dissector Rekon combo. I have it invisaframed (doesn't add much) running a 210 one up. I figure, lose the bell, the water bottle cage, the frame protection, the pedals and run a slightly lighter dropper and you get closer to the 25sh range.

You could put lighter tires on and drop a bit if warranted

Best ST trail bike ever :) sold my TB3 3 years ago. Went SB100--> to a Ripley V4--> to an Occam running a 160 in front .

Finally found my little fast bike. BTW, at 5'8" Medium fits amazing with stock 50mm stem.....

Now to finish my sentinel build to complete the little/big combo....(y)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Spur covers a lot of bases and is very versatile. If I was going to start XC racing I would lean Blur. If I wanted a versatile bike and occasionally enter XC races I would go Spur. The Spur is a bike that is at home just about anywhere, pedals efficiently, handles just about any trail, can be raced because how efficient it is, grab that Spur right now!!!
Im grabbing it at lunch today! no plans on racing with covid, but we have kind of a cool strava race league thing out here that i may try and place in. I dont imagine that the spur will get ridden more than my big bike.

I think im going to stick with the gx build for now and see how it handles, maybe in a month or two upgrading to a Reserve 25 wheelset, lighter tires (2.3 vigilante, 2.25 ranger), maybe ditch the boat anchor gx cassette for an e13. I have a 780mm carbon santa cruz bar i could put on there right now but i run an 810mm bar on my big bike so i kind of want to see how the spur handles with the stock 800mm anvl bar. I may even drop a spacer in the shock or get a different one to drop the rear to 100mm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When trying to diagnose a very loud creak coming from the drivetrain area on my spur, I discovered a few strange things. First, the self-extracting retaining ring was missing—apparently just fell off while riding, so I couldn’t figure out how to get the cranks off. Second, when trying to remove the rear thru axle there was a lot of resistance when it was pulled about halfway out. Had to yank really hard. I got it out, then when pushing it back in same thing, met with resistance to the point I had to tap it through with a mallet. I couldn’t fix the creak so took it to the shop. The mechanic said he finds those retaining rings all over the trails and collects them. He said bikes get shipped all the time which have been hastily assembled, things not properly tensioned. He isolated the creak to the freehub body area and found some unusual wear there. Packed everything with grease and its running quiet now, but I might have more trouble freehub, we will see. He also noticed a ridge inside the sleeve (not sure of actual name) that the thru-axle passes through, causing that hang-up, but hadn’t seen that before. Anyone else have this problem when removing the rear wheel?

I took out a Yeti SB130 from the shop while waiting for my bike and put about 35 miles on it. The bike felt heavy, but delivered impressive traction while climbing, and descends very well. Pedals really well. It was the gx build (which is what my spur is) with dhf 2.5/dhrii 2.4 combo, and felt about 4-5 pounds heavier than my bike. It felt unwieldy after a while and I couldn’t wait to get back on the spur!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finally found my little fast bike. BTW, at 5'8" Medium fits amazing with stock 50mm stem.....
It comes stock with a 50mm, but in Transition's Spur sizing guide, they state that their SBG geometry works best with a 40mm stem. What's the deal here?

-------

"Our new SBG Geometry is best optimized with a 40mm length stem so it is best to think of what size you should get based on that stem length instead of the idea of sizing down and going with a longer stem or sizing up and going with a shorter stem."

·
Registered
49 Posts
When trying to diagnose a very loud creak coming from the drivetrain area on my spur, I discovered a few strange things. First, the self-extracting retaining ring was missing—apparently just fell off while riding, so I couldn’t figure out how to get the cranks off. Second, when trying to remove the rear thru axle there was a lot of resistance when it was pulled about halfway out. Had to yank really hard. I got it out, then when pushing it back in same thing, met with resistance to the point I had to tap it through with a mallet. I couldn’t fix the creak so took it to the shop. The mechanic said he finds those retaining rings all over the trails and collects them. He said bikes get shipped all the time which have been hastily assembled, things not properly tensioned. He isolated the creak to the freehub body area and found some unusual wear there. Packed everything with grease and its running quiet now, but I might have more trouble freehub, we will see. He also noticed a ridge inside the sleeve (not sure of actual name) that the thru-axle passes through, causing that hang-up, but hadn’t seen that before. Anyone else have this problem when removing the rear wheel?

I took out a Yeti SB130 from the shop while waiting for my bike and put about 35 miles on it. The bike felt heavy, but delivered impressive traction while climbing, and descends very well. Pedals really well. It was the gx build (which is what my spur is) with dhf 2.5/dhrii 2.4 combo, and felt about 4-5 pounds heavier than my bike. It felt unwieldy after a while and I couldn’t wait to get back on the spur!
I've experienced both these issues.

I've lost several of the extractor cap things from SRAM cranks, so I Loctite those on now.

With the rear axle, I had something similar happen to an i9 Hydra hub a few months back - frame axle hanging up when inserting or removing. Turned out that the hub axle was broken.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It comes stock with a 50mm, but in Transition's Spur sizing guide, they state that their SBG geometry works best with a 40mm stem. What's the deal here?

-------

"Our new SBG Geometry is best optimized with a 40mm length stem so it is best to think of what size you should get based on that stem length instead of the idea of sizing down and going with a longer stem or sizing up and going with a shorter stem."

ya, and the sentinel comes with 40mm as well, but I don't think SBG is hard set around a specific set of geo #’s more of a design philosophy and can adjust a bit depending on the desired ride characteristics .....Just guessing

1241 - 1260 of 1568 Posts