Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1563 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Thanx!
How about drops to flat? Does it feel like the bike can handle it or will you have to go for the "B-line" and drive around? Yea I can imagine it doesnt shine in rock garndens but I think no short travel bike does :)
I don't think many short travel bikes handle drops to flat as good as long travel bikes either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sure, but a progressive leverage curve is also very important for that. What I read the Spur is pretty progressive. Is there spacers available for the little sid shock?

·
Registered
942 Posts
for sure. I sold my izzo for the spur purely on sizing (an L spur sits inbetween an L and XL izzo) but glad I did, i prefer it.
Was it just sizing...or do you prefer the Spur for other reasons as well. I'd like to wait around for a Spur...but geez..when will that be??? I'd be looking at XL Spur vs. XXL Izzo.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thanx!
How about drops to flat? Does it feel like the bike can handle it or will you have to go for the "B-line" and drive around? Yea I can imagine it doesnt shine in rock garndens but I think no short travel bike does :)
Ha ha, no you won't drive around, you hit stuff and then be like "oh yea, I'm on my short travel bike - whooooop whoooooop!" The reviewers are right when they say it could get you in to trouble!

Drops to flats, as I said before I've only done 2ft to flat and it was fine. But then I do 2ft to flat on a hartail and I'm fine.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Was it just sizing...or do you prefer the Spur for other reasons as well. I'd like to wait around for a Spur...but geez..when will that be??? I'd be looking at XL Spur vs. XXL Izzo.
The Spur feels more planted and more confident. I hit more techincal features on the spur than the izzo, but that could be down to it being the right size for me rather than a slightly too small izzo. Its better looking and more bling imo. But they are very very similar. I didn't want an XL izzo because the Chainstays are quite long, but the L was too small for me. They are both amazing bikes, and you can get a full build izzo for the price of a spur frame. But here in the UK YTs are very common - almost every other bike you see is a YT.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Thanx BluePitch!

Yes, I imagine the Spur should be faster/poppier/ligher-feeling than the Ripmo but the har question is by "how much". I guess only a back-to-back test could answer that. However getting at testride on a Spur right now is next to impossible.
I thought there might be other like me that bought the Ripmo because of the amazing Reviews and the hype but have come to think that it is actually to much bike for much of what we do. I imagine few people go from a Ripley to a Spur (or the other way around) since they are so similar.

What I hope to find out is if 4-5feet drops to flat is OK and if is allright doing some Bike Park days on it without worrying about the bike getting damaged (I understand I have to slow down in the gnar compared to the Ripmo).

In the best world I would keep the Ripmo but that is just not an option unfortunately. Do you people that also ride some more technical terrain and bikeparks sometimes also have other bikes?
Some people do 10' drops on hardtails, and some people will take the Spur to bike parks.
Clearly neither is ideal for the equipment or the rider.
Those suspension components aren't built for what you are indicating, they are for XC/ trail use. I'll assume that the rest of the Spur is speced for the intended application as well. I think the 'This is Spur Country' promotional video gives you a good idea of what the manufacturer intended for this bike.
Maybe just some faster rolling tires to suit your local trail conditions would make your Ripmo more suited to your needs?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Is it stock with 0 tokens?
I’m not sure, however, on the TR website they say this.

Riders are able to add or remove volume spacers in the rear shock to suit their individual riding style and there is plenty of bottom out control for when things get rowdy.

I would imagine that it comes with the #1 token, and you could put the #2 token?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Some people do 10' drops on hardtails, and some people will take the Spur to bike parks.
Clearly neither is ideal for the equipment or the rider.
Those suspension components aren't built for what you are indicating, they are for XC/ trail use. I'll assume that the rest of the Spur is speced for the intended application as well. I think the 'This is Spur Country' promotional video gives you a good idea of what the manufacturer intended for this bike.
Maybe just some faster rolling tires to suit your local trail conditions would make your Ripmo more suited to your needs?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Agreed, or if you really want a transition, then think about running the sentinel in 140mm mode... If it pedals as well as the new scout then it isn't that far behind the spur.... My 2021 scout is the best pedalling 140mm bike I've ever ridden. Well, its the best bike I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure where you’re located but a shop in the sf bay area just got an XL Spur in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Got excited to see the Ripley AF announced today. Seems like a decent price/spec. But after seeing the almost 33lbs weight of the Deore version, I'm gonna continue to wait for my 25 lbs Spur 😁

·
Registered
477 Posts
My wheels should be delivered tomorrow so I may be building my Spur in the next few days. Quick build question, what is the BB spacer setup for Sram DUB cranksets? I know it's 73mm so I shouldn't need any BB spacers but this is my first time using a DUB BB/crankset so I just want to be sure.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Got excited to see the Ripley AF announced today. Seems like a decent price/spec. But after seeing the almost 33lbs weight of the Deore version, I'm gonna continue to wait for my 25 lbs Spur 😁
does anyone’s spur weigh 25lb?
Mine is sid and sidluxe, xmc1200 wheels, xo1 with next sl cranks, xtr brakes, carbon bars, ti saddle, mg pedals with ti spindles its like 26.7lb.
Reckon I could get it down to 26 if I swapped the magic mary on the front for a nobby nic.

i’m not sure how these stock bikes are under 25lb!!?!?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine is sid and sidluxe, xmc1200 wheels, xo1 with next sl cranks, xtr brakes, carbon bars, ti saddle, mg pedals with ti spindles its like 26.7lb.
Reckon I could get it down to 26 if I swapped the magic mary on the front for a nobby nic.

Similar here. Mine is nearly 26lbs with carbon bars, btlos carbon wheels, Sid Ultimate & Sidluxe, oneup dropper, Guide Ultimate brakes, ti railed saddle.
The dropper is a 210 so probably a bit heavier and it was weighed on bathroom scales so not the most accurate.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Their weights are for medium size frames and without pedals is part of it. Then add the proto to production fudge factor?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I thought I remember the size large X01 tested by pinkbike was right around 25lbs? But yeah I understand there will be variation from build to build

edit here it is. 24.7 lbs for a size large X01, but that's with control tires (racing ralph - 770g and racing ray - 625g). The stock tires are dissector - 915g and rekon - 840g, so the total weight difference is 360g, or about 0.8lbs. So i guess the large X01 that PB tested would have been 25.5lbs with stock tires. Close enough :)

1221 - 1240 of 1563 Posts