Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
2401 - 2420 of 2457 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
1900g... Yeah, it's a bit much.

I probably have one of the heavier Spurs at this point but I also think rotational weight and rolling resistance are much more important than overall bike weight. I went weight-weenie on my rims because they do make a big difference. My combined rim weight is 755g. I went with Nextie carbon rims (30mm id), Laser spokes and Hydras.
I wanted 30 mm internal width, but was definitely looking for a DC setup not enduro light, so went with the recently released Roval control carbon 29.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I’ve been thinking about swapping out the SID stuff for months now, and you just pushed me over the edge. Got a 130 Pike and Deluxe on the way!
Same here. I already have a Pike up front (purchased to keep the wheels rolling while the Sid gets warrantied.) Just ordered a Deluxe. I think my move will be to swap back to the Sid stuff for race season, assuming it holds up. I do like the sporty and efficient feel of the Sid suspension when really hammering in XC race scenarios, but not so much on long rough descents (i.e. trail riding in the PNW.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you guys think the new Industry 9 Enduro S wheelset is an overkill for the spur? I wanted to get the Trail S for the weight, but wondering if the 30mm id is the best future proof choice
I love my Noble 32s laced to Onyx Vespers. light wheels make a huge difference!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Any recommendation for light wheels under 1k? I couldn't find anything lighter at that price point with great hubs

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,386 Posts
Any recommendation for light wheels under 1k? I couldn't find anything lighter at that price point with great hubs
I'd go with lighter carbon rims and DT 350 hubs if you want to save some cash. Also IMO light spokes are better for carbon rims, the Lasers + very light rims make for a more compliant wheel. However I should mention I also use inserts as I'm almost 200 lbs and ride in Colorado. If you don't use inserts I might bump up the rim weight a bit depending on your weight and riding.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I love my Noble 32s laced to Onyx Vespers. light wheels make a huge difference!
I have the same exact combo, I also splurged, and also got Sapim CX-ray bladed spokes and ceramic bearings. Best wheelset I've ever owned. Light enough for me, fast-rolling, tough and silent. I had a few big impacts on the Spur in Sedona and the wheels still look brand new.

I think I've decided to swap out my suspension on the Spur as well. I ride a 22lb Singlespeed a lot so I don't need the Spur to be a weight weenie XC build. I also just picked up an Enduro, so I feel like between the SS, Spur (with beefed-up suspension), and the Enduro, I have the full riding spectrum covered.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same exact combo, I also splurged, and also got Sapim CX-ray bladed spokes and ceramic bearings. Best wheelset I've ever owned. Light enough for me, fast-rolling, tough and silent. I had a few big impacts on the Spur in Sedona and the wheels still look brand new.

I think I've decided to swap out my suspension on the Spur as well. I ride a 22lb Singlespeed a lot so I don't need the Spur to be a weight weenie XC build. I also just picked up an Enduro, so I feel like between the SS, Spur (with beefed-up suspension), and the Enduro, I have the full riding spectrum covered.
I got the same spokes but did not splurge on the bearings. I have had some pretty big hits in rock gardens that I know would have dented aluminum rims and these rims look perfect still. I do ride with Cush Core XC insert in the rear wheel. I'm probably going to get a Delux for the rear and try it out with a MRP Ribbon SL I have just to see what the setup is like but really I have been lucky and have not had any issues(knock on wood) with the SID fork and the only issue I had with the shock was with the leakage but that stopped once the oil was all gone( I guess) and it has been flawless.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I ordered 18.5mm depth T800 rims to my own spec from Carbon Fan. The front rim is a 30mm ID, 28H, XC layup and weighs 378 grams. The rear rim is 26mm ID, 32H, Trail layup with reinforced wider lips and weighs 346 grams. I took about a 30 gram penalty on the rear rim to try and be a bit more robust.

The hubs are Carbon Ti straight pull and the front weighs 96 grams & the rear weighs 185 grams. There are lighter hubs but I discussed this at length with Fairwheelbikes and they were of the opinion that the Carbon Ti hubs are everyday reliable. DT 180s didn't offer the spec I wanted and are way more money, and the new DT's aren't proving to be very reliable anyways.

I do prefer Project 321 for my AM bikes.

The wheels are getting Berd spokes at about 2.5 grams each so 60 x 2.5 = 150 grams.

So before tape and stems the rims should weigh about 1155 grams for a good width set of wheels and a total cost around $1700.

I've personally found Berds and Carbon Fan wheels to be incredibly robust on my Enduro bikes, considerably stronger than the big players actually.

Figuring my L Spur will weigh sub 25#s ready to ride with the R7 front fork. To be clear I'm setting this bike up to be a DC bike and nothing more, I have an AM bike that has components better suited for more aggressive terrain and wanted to maintain a clear delineation between the bikes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My vote is back to your original plan, i9 Trail S with 1/1 or Hydras. Lightweight and they have a great ride feel, absolutely no reason to turn your nose up at 27mm internal width either. Perfect size for 2.3/2.4. Trail bike = Trail wheels.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
There are some excellent cheap carbon options from various Chinese direct-to-consumer companies. BTLOS, Carbonfan, Light Bicycle, Nextie to name a few. Get a set of ~400g rims laced to DT350 or Hope hubs with quality spokes and you're in business. Warranty support is probably not what you'd get with a US company, but they're cheap enough that if you smash one you can replace it for a couple hundred bucks. Totally worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If someone is looking for XL Transition Spur GX Build, there’s one available at Rhythm Bikes in Oakland, CA. Ask for Chad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,386 Posts
There are some excellent cheap carbon options from various Chinese direct-to-consumer companies. BTLOS, Carbonfan, Light Bicycle, Nextie to name a few. Get a set of ~400g rims laced to DT350 or Hope hubs with quality spokes and you're in business. Warranty support is probably not what you'd get with a US company, but they're cheap enough that if you smash one you can replace it for a couple hundred bucks. Totally worth it IMHO.
I agree.

I'd consider what the total weight of the rims, tires and inserts (if used) will be, this is by far the most important part of the bike to keep light. If the rims and tires get too heavy it'll compromise the best aspects of the bike. If you're going to run 1900g + wheels and heavier tires I'd get a Sentinel instead.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My vote is back to your original plan, i9 Trail S with 1/1 or Hydras. Lightweight and they have a great ride feel, absolutely no reason to turn your nose up at 27mm internal width either. Perfect size for 2.3/2.4. Trail bike = Trail wheels.
After hours of debate with myself, I reached the same conclusion as you... trail S hydra. Funny thing, they are not available anywhere haha... I9 says 22 weeks lead time. I guess Enduro S hydra it is, as they are available. Other option is the trails S 1/1, and although I really like them, I want to try hydras...
Can't beat it with 15% off coupon I had, so no brainer at this point... I will go with lighter tires

·
Registered
70 Posts
313 days since order, but the bike should arrive next week 😮
A few weeks of more delays but finally got the bike yesterday, 341 days from order to delivery 😆 GX build with the Newmen Evolution SL XA25 wheels. Really happy with the bike after first ride, I had high expectations but it felt even better. Love the snappy acceleration feel and the way it seems to so easily pick up speed on the downhills as has been said here multiple times. Didn't play around with the suspension at all yet aside from setting the sag, felt good but then again I've been mostly riding a full rigid Krampus lately.

IMG_20210721_131436.jpg

·
Registered
204 Posts
After hours of debate with myself, I reached the same conclusion as you... trail S hydra. Funny thing, they are not available anywhere haha... I9 says 22 weeks lead time. I guess Enduro S hydra it is, as they are available. Other option is the trails S 1/1, and although I really like them, I want to try hydras...
Can't beat it with 15% off coupon I had, so no brainer at this point... I will go with lighter tires
The hydras are nice, I have our Spur built with a Trail S rear and Enduro S front on hydras. Enjoy and props to you for buying local, the crew at i9 in North Carolina are awesome.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’m 6’ 2” with 36” inseam, 185lbs.
On a Large Spur.

I had a Retül bike fit done on this bike by one of the most reputable Retül bike fitter in The Bay Area.

760mm bars on a 50mm stem with 30mm of spacers under the stem.
170mm Cranks with 210mm dropper that sticks out of the seat collar by 46mm
And my saddle is slammed all the way to the front with nose down to -3°.

I think even if I was 6’ 3” - 6’ 4”, I would still be able to fit on a large Spur.

My thought is that the Large should be your size on the Spur. Of course if you have a chance to Demo a Large and XL would be the safest route to go.

I’m 5’11. Perfect fit on a large. If I was your height I’d be into XL

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I got in a ride on the new Deluxe Ultimate RCT rear shock with a medium tune for both compression and rebound. I also installed a RWC needle bearing kit on the top.

It's fantastic, it makes the SID feel broken. It doesn't bottom as easily, it doesn't spike, it feels like a modern well-damped shock.

I think the Pike and Deluxe have really transformed the bike, for less than a 1 lb penalty the quality of the suspension is in another league.

However, I do get what RS had in mind with SID. It returns more energy while the Pike and Deluxe absorb more energy and weigh more. But the Spur's character isn't massively altered with the new sus, it still pedals and pumps like a champion and is very efficient. I love how fast it accelerates out of corners. But now it can plow, and it provides a lot more stability over rough terrain. The quality of the damping is much, much closer to my Enduro w/ 38 and DHX2. If my Enduro is a mini-dh bike that pedals, the Spur is a mini-enduro bike that pedals even better. Overall this is one of the best mt bikes I've ever rode for sure. I just wish Tranny would have offered the Pike/Deluxe combo as well as the SID. They are VERY different suspensions, but both seem to suit the frame very well.
Yeah I definitely see myself going this route... and soon. My SID fork is now starting to show signs of bushing play, I think. (Feels like a loose headset, but the headset is not the culprit.)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I’m 5’11. Perfect fit on a large. If I was your height I’d be into XL
If you’re looking for extra stability on descends then going with a larger frame size would be a benefit.
I’m sure with my height, inseam and reach I could’ve easily went with an XL.
But I wanted a relatively light (bellow 27 lbs) quick and nimble 29er that would feel almost like a 27.5 bike. And the Spur was exactly what I was looking for.
After proper bike fit, I feel perfect on my Large Spur. The biggest surprise during the bike fit was slamming the saddle all the way to the front.
It’s very interesting how the changes that are being done during a proper bike fit can benefit the rider in so many aspects: more efficient transfer of power, less fatigue, longer rides with no body pain, more confidence on descends and less room for mistakes.
When I had my first bike fit done with a local Bay Area MTB coach I was surprised about lots of changes he made to my bike. But after the first ride I could feel the benefits right away.

2401 - 2420 of 2457 Posts