Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
2381 - 2400 of 2457 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
With a 32" inseam I think the large is probably the right call. Of course demo Spurs are non existent right now. I am going to Santa Cruz to demo the Epic Evo next month and I'm also getting a proper fitting (also in the Bay Area...where did you go?).
Sent you DM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,386 Posts
XL Spur is really XL. A friend who's 6'3" got an XL and sold it after a couple rides because it was too big. I'm 6' even and wouldn't want my L to be any larger. I think it would fit up to 6'3" or so no problem.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I agree with that, if I'm ditching the SID, I'm going to Fox. Not putting money on another RS/SRAM product... Which is real sad
In 2019 I warrantied a total of 5 Fox CSUs for creaking, including going through 3 (!) CSUs on a 34SC. At that point I had a similar feeling to what you express here, switched to RS and have had no more creaking CSUs. I’ve beaten the hell out of a Lyrik, Zeb, Pike and two Superdeluxes in that time with no issues at all.

The Sid stuff seems pretty light-duty, or maybe just didnt’ get fully QC’d before release. My point is that switching to Fox is no panacea.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
XL Spur is really XL. A friend who's 6'3" got an XL and sold it after a couple rides because it was too big. I'm 6' even and wouldn't want my L to be any larger. I think it would fit up to 6'3" or so no problem.
I’m 6’3” and super happy on an XL. Geo is very close to the XL Optic it replaced, and to my XL Spesh Enduro. FWIW Transition’s sizing chart suggests L as ideal for 6’0”, XL ideal for 6’4”, so I guess I’m between sizes but trending XL. (This chart is rather bogus as their bikes that include an XXL size have smaller XLs than those that don’t. An XL Sentinel would be smaller than I’d want.)

I’m in western WA so riding some of the trails on which the Spur was developed. Rides around here usually involve long continuous climbs and long descents. For this, Transition’s geo is great. If you want a bike for more rolling terrain or a more standard XC fit, I’d say size down or look elsewhere.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,386 Posts
Yup, IMO RS and Fox are both trying to provide us with quality gear and doing a good job of it. They're both American companies and their employees are fellow Americans and mt bikers. You can't take these issues personally. The gear is not trivial to produce at anything approaching affordable prices.

Just like car companies, they all make mistakes at some point, it's just how it is being stupid humans. If we took it all personally there wouldn't be a bike or car company left to buy from.

And also I hate XXL sizing because it changes a std large to something more like a medium-large. Std. Large Spur is perfect for me but when bike co's have XXL as an option I'm usually in between L and XL. But if you're 5'10", 6'2" or a f#$king giant then it works well I guess... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Curious with tire experience on the spur, specific to it's personality.......light weight but wanting to get rowdy.

Comes stock with 2.4 Rekon on the rear... has anyone compared 2.35 Rekon Race 3C and 2.25 normal Rekon 3C on the rear for lighter weight and faster rolling?

It's clear they gave the Rekon/Dissector plenty of thought to match the personality of the bike.

Everything I read about the Dissector is that it gets worn down very fast and at 910 grams it's not exactly light. OK it's light versus a 2.4 DHF or DHR2... but still not light.

Also the tread pattern of the Dissector looks more like a rear tire.. similar to an Aggressor or even an Ikon.

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried Rekon 2.25 rear (660 grams) and 2.3 DHR2 front (850 grams). I expect that would be a great long lasting combo that is lighter weight than stock.

I would also expect the 2.3 DHR2 to get better grip than the 2.4 Dissector.... especially as a front tire with the big L shaped knobs on the DHR2

While I'm sure the normal rekon race is fast, it looks like a pure XC tire... less tread than an Ikon.

I have plenty of experience running 2.35 ikon with 2.6 rekon in the front which is a fantastic lighter weight fast rolling combo that still gets good traction...... but maybe 2.25 rekon / 2.3 DHR2 would get better traction while still rolling fast.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've been running a 2.35 Rekon Race on the back with either the stock Dissector or Rekon up front. Didn't like the 2.4 Rekon up front much, felt too washy in turns so put the Dissector back on.

I really like the Dissector/Rekon Race combo, it's super fast but still has just enough purchase for my local trails this time of year. The Rekon Race does need a decent amount of pressure as it can squirm when cornering hard on a 25mm ID rim, but I'll take the grip/speed trade off and is makes an already fast bike even faster.

Forget the weight to an extent, I'd be happier with a faster rolling tyre like the Dissector over a Minion DHR that has a smaller carcass and is only a few grams lighter but will roll slower all the same. I wouldn't want to run anything less than 2.35 on the rear, the extra volume helps comfort levels and I wouldn't want the bike to feel harsher.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,386 Posts
Dissector 2.4 EXO 3C was 985g on my scale, way over claimed weight. It's a good front tire though and it rolls faster than Minions. It should last fine as a front tire.

I won't run the Maxxis tires with smaller sideknobs like Rekon, Ikon or Ardent, they don't last where I ride. I've been using a Conti Mt King 2.3 Black Chili out back for few rides and it's been great so far. I got a Trail King 2.4 (950g) for the front but am happy with the Dissector for now so I'll probably leave it on. Conti black chili rubber has been really good imo, it is durable, grippy and relatively fast rolling.

·
Registered
121 Posts
In 2019 I warrantied a total of 5 Fox CSUs for creaking, including going through 3 (!) CSUs on a 34SC. At that point I had a similar feeling to what you express here, switched to RS and have had no more creaking CSUs. I’ve beaten the hell out of a Lyrik, Zeb, Pike and two Superdeluxes in that time with no issues at all.

The Sid stuff seems pretty light-duty, or maybe just didnt’ get fully QC’d before release. My point is that switching to Fox is no panacea.
I don’t think they’re light duty, Transition picked an appropriate spec. SRAM knew there was a bushing issue early on. Rumors were it was isolated to a bad, early, run. The fact that the lowers they were swapping in seem to have a relatively short lifetime and they are now out of lowers (presumably from so many warranties) speaks to more than an isolated early run issue.

Aside from the bushing issue my complaints were strictly personal preference for performance. After the first lower swap the fork actually felt pretty dam good (I also had air buildup and chamber equilibration issues in the first iteration). The trouble for me was that for it to feel active enough I had to run low enough pressure that I then found the progressive bottom too fast/often.

·
Registered
Transition Spur
4 Posts
That's a wicked setup! Who made that custom frame bag?
Thanks man! My GF whipped up the sick custom frame bag on my Spur, the green cordura almost matches the sea foam green. Plan on making another one with more pockets etc. and selling my current one. It's for the large frame if interested.

·
Registered
506 Posts
(I also had air buildup and chamber equilibration issues in the first iteration).
What was happening exactly? I've had issues with my aftermarket Sid fork with air pressure. When I put the pump on the fork it initially shows 0 psi then when I start to pump the PSI will register but it jumps to 80-90 psi then each push after that shows the PSI jumping by 15-20 with each push.

·
that guy
871 Posts
Thanks man! My GF whipped up the sick custom frame bag on my Spur, the green cordura almost matches the sea foam green. Plan on making another one with more pockets etc. and selling my current one. It's for the large frame if interested.
Ahhh, medium frame here. I'll have to find a custom solution if I ever use this bike for bikepacking. Some of the routes I'm interested in could really benefit from a full squish, so it will probably be sooner, rather than later.

Your GF does great work. Congrats!

·
Registered
121 Posts
What was happening exactly? I've had issues with my aftermarket Sid fork with air pressure. When I put the pump on the fork it initially shows 0 psi then when I start to pump the PSI will register but it jumps to 80-90 psi then each push after that shows the PSI jumping by 15-20 with each push.
I never experienced that. At new there was air trapped in the lowers causing a harsh bottom out. After the first lower replacement my air chambers weren’t equilibrated causing a vacuum pulling the fork down. 2 shops told me it would need to go back to SRAM (after it was literally just in their hands), but a third helped me get it sorted.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,386 Posts
I got in a ride on the new Deluxe Ultimate RCT rear shock with a medium tune for both compression and rebound. I also installed a RWC needle bearing kit on the top.

It's fantastic, it makes the SID feel broken. It doesn't bottom as easily, it doesn't spike, it feels like a modern well-damped shock.

I think the Pike and Deluxe have really transformed the bike, for less than a 1 lb penalty the quality of the suspension is in another league.

However, I do get what RS had in mind with SID. It returns more energy while the Pike and Deluxe absorb more energy and weigh more. But the Spur's character isn't massively altered with the new sus, it still pedals and pumps like a champion and is very efficient. I love how fast it accelerates out of corners. But now it can plow, and it provides a lot more stability over rough terrain. The quality of the damping is much, much closer to my Enduro w/ 38 and DHX2. If my Enduro is a mini-dh bike that pedals, the Spur is a mini-enduro bike that pedals even better. Overall this is one of the best mt bikes I've ever rode for sure. I just wish Tranny would have offered the Pike/Deluxe combo as well as the SID. They are VERY different suspensions, but both seem to suit the frame very well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you guys think the new Industry 9 Enduro S wheelset is an overkill for the spur? I wanted to get the Trail S for the weight, but wondering if the 30mm id is the best future proof choice

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,386 Posts
Do you guys think the new Industry 9 Enduro S wheelset is an overkill for the spur? I wanted to get the Trail S for the weight, but wondering if the 30mm id is the best future proof choice
1900g... Yeah, it's a bit much.

I probably have one of the heavier Spurs at this point but I also think rotational weight and rolling resistance are much more important than overall bike weight. I went weight-weenie on my rims because they do make a big difference. My combined rim weight is 755g. I went with Nextie carbon rims (30mm id), Laser spokes and Hydras.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got in a ride on the new Deluxe Ultimate RCT rear shock with a medium tune for both compression and rebound. I also installed a RWC needle bearing kit on the top.

It's fantastic, it makes the SID feel broken. It doesn't bottom as easily, it doesn't spike, it feels like a modern well-damped shock.

I think the Pike and Deluxe have really transformed the bike, for less than a 1 lb penalty the quality of the suspension is in another league.

However, I do get what RS had in mind with SID. It returns more energy while the Pike and Deluxe absorb more energy and weigh more. But the Spur's character isn't massively altered with the new sus, it still pedals and pumps like a champion and is very efficient. I love how fast it accelerates out of corners. But now it can plow, and it provides a lot more stability over rough terrain. The quality of the damping is much, much closer to my Enduro w/ 38 and DHX2. If my Enduro is a mini-dh bike that pedals, the Spur is a mini-enduro bike that pedals even better. Overall this is one of the best mt bikes I've ever rode for sure. I just wish Tranny would have offered the Pike/Deluxe combo as well as the SID. They are VERY different suspensions, but both seem to suit the frame very well.
I’ve been thinking about swapping out the SID stuff for months now, and you just pushed me over the edge. Got a 130 Pike and Deluxe on the way!

2381 - 2400 of 2457 Posts