Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
2361 - 2380 of 2457 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
RS overall makes better suspension than Fox. RS components are more rigid and better damped in every category.

The issue seems to be the SID's reliability, not it's performance.

Ultimately the SID is a DC fork, that's get treated like an Enduro fork by a large % of it's users as the Spur is so capable, and I suspect we are seeing the results of that.
The 34 is indeed a little less rigid, but better damped is subjective and situational. Head to head the 34 gives more control over damping and progressiveness than the SID. Particularly because of how progressive the SID is base.

I’m using ~same travel on the 34 but not hitting the progressive bottom which in repeated hits gets brutal on the SID. I consider my riding almost exclusively trail, I found the bottom of the SID once. At 120 mm riding trail I want to use that, not hit a progressive bottom at 90 mm. Or at least have more control over the bottom.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Ultimately the SID is a DC fork, that's get treated like an Enduro fork by a large % of it's users as the Spur is so capable, and I suspect we are seeing the results of that.
Nope, the Sid is either poorly designed or has some parts mis-spec'd. A huge percentage of these forks develop bushing play. PB's did over the course of their brief field test. Mine did within ~100 miles of brand new. This is a manufacturing defect, not user abuse.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,386 Posts
Nope, the Sid is either poorly designed or has some parts mis-spec'd. A huge percentage of these forks develop bushing play. PB's did over the course of their brief field test. Mine did within ~100 miles of brand new. This is a manufacturing defect, not user abuse.
Yup, 100%

My fork developed play after maybe 6 rides, inflated to 90 psi and never bottomed out. This use is not outside it's intended use. It's a manufacturing defect or design flaw.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This was my Sid Luxe after today's ride. The bike's third outing so hopefully just excess fluid evacuating itself!

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's just weird to me.. It can't be excess oil that it's leaking. RS is not sounding good to me after the last few posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
EVERY new shock leaks as it breaks in. X2, DPX2, DPS, SD, Monarch, Jade X, they all have in my experience. How much, for how long, and what is "excessive" is the discussion we are having.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
My new DPX2 has never leaked and neither did my previous monarch. Bad seals or bad seal design is the only reason for it to leak.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've swapped volume spacers several times in my SIDLuxe and refill the oil each time. Every time I do, it leaks like new. I've even had it back to Rockshox for a full 125 hour damper service and seal replacement, and it leaked the same after getting new seals. Agreed - it definitely shouldn't be leaking this much.

·
Registered
188 Posts
EVERY new shock leaks as it breaks in. X2, DPX2, DPS, SD, Monarch, Jade X, they all have in my experience. How much, for how long, and what is "excessive" is the discussion we are having.
Out of all the rear air shocks I’ve ever owned (DPS, Monarch, Monarch Plus, X2, DPX2) my SIDLuxe Ultimate was the first one that actually leaked oil. I mean maybe a had a lil snail trail of oil on the other shocks after the first ride, but that’s about it.
I have about 600 miles on my SIDLuxe Ultimate and it’s still leaks. Performance wise, I didn’t have any issues with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
This is a clever design by RS, as the leaking oil keeps the lower eyelet bushing lubricated. (Kidding obvs.)

Mine leaks about that amount of oil each ride. I've taken it apart and checked/greased the seals and refreshed oil, still leaks. It seems to work fine though. It's a bit confusing how it leaks this much oil but seems to hold air. Definitely the leakiest shock I've seen of the ~25 I've owned.

Curious if anyone has contacted RS about this? Is this considered normal or will they warranty a shock that loses this much oil?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yeah this is definitely making me want to ditch the SID stuff sooner than later. Hoping I can trade my SID for a Pike of similar condition (like new). In talks with someone local now who may be up for it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have zero complaints with the SID rear. It stopped pissing oil quite some time ago. I can’t find it now, but I seem to recall finding a Pinkbike post by a SRAM employee that there was some oil/seal misspec in them initially.

The 34 is better performance/control with no weight penalty and allowed me to not have to reward SRAM with another purchase in the Pike after the SID disappointment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I seem to be smack in the middle of Large or Extra large at 73 inches. I'm skeptical about going with the XL since the bike is already so long with a long reach. The numbers are actually not too far off from my XL Revel Rascal. I'm wanting the Spur for much more of a responsive climber with the lightest build specs I can sensibly put together which is why I'm leaning toward the size Large. Thoughts?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I seem to be smack in the middle of Large or Extra large at 73 inches. I'm skeptical about going with the XL since the bike is already so long with a long reach. The numbers are actually not too far off from my XL Revel Rascal. I'm wanting the Spur for much more of a responsive climber with the lightest build specs I can sensibly put together which is why I'm leaning toward the size Large. Thoughts?
I’m 6’ 2” with 36” inseam, 185lbs.
On a Large Spur.

I had a Retül bike fit done on this bike by one of the most reputable Retül bike fitter in The Bay Area.

760mm bars on a 50mm stem with 30mm of spacers under the stem.
170mm Cranks with 210mm dropper that sticks out of the seat collar by 46mm
And my saddle is slammed all the way to the front with nose down to -3°.

I think even if I was 6’ 3” - 6’ 4”, I would still be able to fit on a large Spur.

My thought is that the Large should be your size on the Spur. Of course if you have a chance to Demo a Large and XL would be the safest route to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m 6’ 2” with 36” inseam, 185lbs.
On a Large Spur.

I had a Retül bike fit done on this bike by one of the most reputable Retül bike fitter in The Bay Area.

760mm bars on a 50mm stem with 30mm of spacers under the stem.
170mm Cranks with 210mm dropper that sticks out of the seat collar by 46mm
And my saddle is slammed all the way to the front with nose down to -3°.

I think even if I was 6’ 3” - 6’ 4”, I would still be able to fit on a large Spur.

My thought is that the Large should be your size on the Spur. Of course if you have a chance to Demo a Large and XL would be the safest route to go.

With a 32" inseam I think the large is probably the right call. Of course demo Spurs are non existent right now. I am going to Santa Cruz to demo the Epic Evo next month and I'm also getting a proper fitting (also in the Bay Area...where did you go?).

2361 - 2380 of 2457 Posts