Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1568 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
They sure did their homework. If “Down country” had a dictionary entry, they’d just put a picture of the Spur...no words needed....people would understand.

·
Registered
946 Posts
They sure have their videos/marketing nailed. Another win!

Aside: I notice how quiet the bike is...I like quiet bikes (bikes...not hubs!:thumbsup:)

First review?
(I don't know Clint Gibbs, but he seems to know what he's doing)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks great, its making choosing a potential new bike a nightmare, was all set on the Scout, then thought it a bit much and heavy, then liked the Mojo 4, now this.

Seat tube looks long, and reach small for a medium compared to the Scout/Mojo 4 as well.

·
EMBA MTB Lead Instructor
891 Posts
You can over-fork the new bikes with no issue.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I really want one of these with a DPX2 on it. The website says that they are not compatible with a piggyback, but I don't understand why. Looks like even at bottom out it would fit?

·
Registered
282 Posts
You can over-fork the new bikes with no issue.
Transition specifically says that they do not recommend a fork longer than 120mm. On the other hand, Ibis and Revel (the other 2 bikes I'm considering) both say you can over-fork by 10mm (or more). With 120mm out back, a 130mm fork seems like a natural fit.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is it a single pivot design vs 4-bar?
Single pivot with flex-seatstays and a linkage-driven shock. It's essentially the same design as a Scott Spark, Specialized Epic, Kona Hei Hei, NS Synonym, and a few others, although that's not to say they'll all necessarily ride the same.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Looks like a copy of a norco optic....no alloy frame, no care.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Transition specifically says that they do not recommend a fork longer than 120mm. On the other hand, Ibis and Revel (the other 2 bikes I'm considering) both say you can over-fork by 10mm (or more). With 120mm out back, a 130mm fork seems like a natural fit.
That surprised me too, especially as the Spur seems to be replacing the Smuggler (for now, at least). I think it looks like a great bike for it's intended purpose, but I think there will be many people who will be looking for something more like the Smuggler or Scout that rides well beyond what you'd traditionally expect from a bike of that travel.

The Spur definitely fills a niche but also leaves a big gap between it and the Sentinel, and I'm excited about what might fill that gap.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't want to be too much of a downer, but it seems heavy, expensive, geometry that doesn't seem like it would climb great, yet it has limited travel so it wouldn't be much of a shredder on the way down.

I've obviously not ridden it and it could be one of those bikes that's more than the sum of its parts, but spec-wise, I'm not that impressed.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
That surprised me too, especially as the Spur seems to be replacing the Smuggler (for now, at least). I think it looks like a great bike for it's intended purpose, but I think there will be many people who will be looking for something more like the Smuggler or Scout that rides well beyond what you'd traditionally expect from a bike of that travel.

The Spur definitely fills a niche but also leaves a big gap between it and the Sentinel, and I'm excited about what might fill that gap.
I'd guess the Smuggler will reappear next year with the new frame design, maybe a 125 or 130mm rear?

I don't want to be too much of a downer, but it seems heavy, expensive, geometry that doesn't seem like it would climb great, yet it has limited travel so it wouldn't be much of a shredder on the way down.

I've obviously not ridden it and it could be one of those bikes that's more than the sum of its parts, but spec-wise, I'm not that impressed.
Did you bother to read or watch any of the reviews of the bike? It apparently climbs like a rocket and, at 25# for the high end spec, certainly doesn't seem heavy to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had narrowed my selection down to Revel Ranger or Yeti SB100/115. This bike has really got my interest. I live in Denver and mostly ride at places like Buffalo Creek and Centennial Cone, with the occasional ride in gnarly terrain like Enchanted Forrest/Apex. Seems like this would be perfect for my kind of riding. Also doing Leadville 100 next year, this bike in the X01 build would be the lightest and least expensive of all the options I'm considering.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
25# is ****ing heavy for a $9000 “xc” bike. Bet you the “low end” $5000 bike is pushing 30 pounds.
Well considering this is not a XC bike......it’s an All Country bike.....it’s not heavy. I agree it’s expensive, but for what the purpose of the bike is designed for and TR’s build quality when it comes durability it’s perfectly acceptable.

If you look at the other bike lines the difference between GX build and NX build for Scout and Sentinel for example, the difference is 1/2 pound so no it won’t be 30 pounds.

People who are going to buy this bike are not buying to race XC, or buy it for XC only style riding. You could probably race it, but TR built this bike for All Country, not XC.

Creating a new category, I like it. There will always be critics and people who don’t “get it”, I get it TR. This bike may finally convince me to try 29er.....still love my 27.5 wheels.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Rumor on the internet is the Smuggler is dead. Considering the Sentinel can be run 150f/140r, that doesn't leave a very large gap to fill between it and the Spur anyway. I'm a little surprised they didn't at least make the Spur compatible with a 130mm fork, though. It says they don't recommend it, but I wonder if it would void the warranty.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
.....it’s an All Country bike.....
Oooh inbound keyboard warriors raging in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

:lol:

But yeah, the Spur isn't an XC bike, and geometry doesn't have any great effect on how efficiently a bike climbs on smooth terrain, and the Spurs geo will actually be an advantage on technical climbs IMO.

1 - 20 of 1568 Posts