Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im planning on building up a transition trail or park frame.
I'm planning on getting fsa nasty boy cranks, with a deity 32t or 34t ss sprocket( with the bashguard)
anyways, im planning on going for a single speed conversion kit instead of buying a whole new hub. I think the only options is a dmr, and a gusset kit. What would be the best gear ratio for dirt jumping street, and a little bit of freeride? im not sure where to start, but i think 32:18 sounds pretty good? i dont know whats the difference between that and say a 32:16?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
952 Posts
Sprocket / Cog x Wheel = Close to 55

ie
44/16x20=55
36/13x20=55.4
25/9x20=55.6
36/16x24=54
36/17x26=55.1
34/16x26=55.3
32/15x=55.5

The 2:1 that most people mention is mostly an XC gearing which feels a little slow/easy for park/street/dj.
 

·
gnar, brah
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Is there a good spider to pop on those cranks so you can run a 104mm BCD chainring and bash? I might be buying a stock t.o.p. and would certainly want to run my existing chainring/bash combo...
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
Is there a good spider to pop on those cranks so you can run a 104mm BCD chainring and bash? I might be buying a stock t.o.p. and would certainly want to run my existing chainring/bash combo...
I've got one from FSA. most common spiders I've found are all 5bolt, but the FSA is 4X104
 

·
gnar, brah
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
I've got one from FSA. most common spiders I've found are all 5bolt, but the FSA is 4X104
score! that might sell me on the bike. is the rear hub a BMX style freewheel, or a cassette-type freehub? not that it matters a whole lot, but it'd be nice to know to get all my components ready...
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
score! that might sell me on the bike. is the rear hub a BMX style freewheel, or a cassette-type freehub? not that it matters a whole lot, but it'd be nice to know to get all my components ready...
I'm not sure what you are referring to... ? the complete bike from Transition? It has 135mm spacing, but the hub is up to you, unless you buy the complete....
you can get an mtb hub with a thread on freewheel, or an mtb hub with an SS cassette, but they also make bmx hub with a thread on freewheel, or a bmx hub with a cassette body, just won't be compatible with that frame.
The complete comes with their Revolution 32 wheelset and probably thier labeled SS 135 cassette hub. :thumbsup:
 

·
gnar, brah
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
I'm not sure what you are referring to... ? the complete bike from Transition? It has 135mm spacing, but the hub is up to you, unless you buy the complete....
you can get an mtb hub with a thread on freewheel, or an mtb hub with an SS cassette, but they also make bmx hub with a thread on freewheel, or a bmx hub with a cassette body, just won't be compatible with that frame.
The complete comes with their Revolution 32 wheelset and probably thier labeled SS 135 cassette hub. :thumbsup:
That would be the one...it's the complete with the 32mm wheelset, setup up SS. Sounds like the wheelset on the SS complete will have a thread on freewheel...I was just hoping it had a standard cassette body so I could pop on some Ti Dura-Ace cogs and lightweight spacers, but that is a pretty minor thing, really.

Anyone have some opinions of the T.o.P. I was going for a Santa Cruz Jackal but the EP deal fell through...I know the Transition is sick, and I'm diggin the cromo, SS setup, just trying to get an idea for how it handles/manuals/jumps, etc.
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
That would be the one...it's the complete with the 32mm wheelset, setup up SS. Sounds like the wheelset on the SS complete will have a thread on freewheel...I was just hoping it had a standard cassette body so I could pop on some Ti Dura-Ace cogs and lightweight spacers, but that is a pretty minor thing, really.

Anyone have some opinions of the T.o.P. I was going for a Santa Cruz Jackal but the EP deal fell through...I know the Transition is sick, and I'm diggin the cromo, SS setup, just trying to get an idea for how it handles/manuals/jumps, etc.
check out their "parts" section on the TBC site. It shows the SS hub, it's a cassette, but I'm not sure if they build that on the set-up for the complete ToP, just email'em, I'm sure they'll respond for you pretty promptly.
I'd mos def. get the ToP over the jackal anyday.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top