Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

361 - 380 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 1915980 That’s full compression with spring removed and up against the bottom out bumper with weight compressing the bumper. Bottom out would occur on the seat tube/chainstay cross member, not the tire.
View attachment 1915980 That’s full compression with spring removed and up against the bottom out bumper with weight compressing the bumper. Bottom out would occur on the seat tube/chainstay cross member, not the tire.
Have you checked clearance with the bottom-out bumper removed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Put a 65mm superdeluxe and checked clearance on a XL frame. Seatstay clearance looks similar and park lot test was good. Haven't tried it on the trail because of exams :(
Btw, here is my bike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another sizing question..

I'm just over 6' and am looking for a good balanced all rounder. I'm currently on an XL HD4 which has basically the same reach as the L sentinel, but slacker STA (so less upright). Would I be better off on a L or XL Sentinel? I prefer more agile/playful vs straight plow machine. Something that is a good daily driver that I can race occasionally instead of the other way around.

Thanks for the input in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another sizing question..

I'm just over 6' and am looking for a good balanced all rounder. I'm currently on an XL HD4 which has basically the same reach as the L sentinel, but slacker STA (so less upright). Would I be better off on a L or XL Sentinel? I prefer more agile/playful vs straight plow machine. Something that is a good daily driver that I can race occasionally instead of the other way around.

Thanks for the input in advance!
If you feel comfortable with the reach of the Ibis and don't mind a more upright seated position, stick to the size L Sentinel. The bike feels light and manouverable.
I'm 6'2" on a XL, but I'm coming from a XXL Megatower. I'm regreting not getting the XXL Sentinel because I'm more of a racer than a trail rider, but the biggest size wasn't available. The bike is great btw

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you feel comfortable with the reach of the Ibis and don't mind a more upright seated position, stick to the size L Sentinel. The bike feels light and manouverable.
I'm 6'2" on a XL, but I'm coming from a XXL Megatower. I'm regreting not getting the XXL Sentinel because I'm more of a racer than a trail rider, but the biggest size wasn't available. The bike is great btw
I’m just over 6’1” and coming off an XL Smuggler V2. The XL Sentinel frame actually feels more compact and playful despite having the same reach. The steeper seat tube angle really changes how the bike feels. Without knowing the numbers for your Mojo, my recommendation would be to look past the reach number and more toward effective top tube and stack. Typically I’d look at wheelbase too, but I can’t really use that anymore because it’s getting ridiculously long. The good news is that the bike doesn’t feel like a handful at all - it’s all really natural when you’re riding.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cycled a spring-less coil on my sentinel with a 62.5 stroke and did not have much space to play with. I'd say around 3/16 of an inch before the stay bride contacted the seat tube. I believe a 65 would hit in my large

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have pictures of how close the piggyback was to the frame? I just installed a 62.5 bomber and it’s close enough I wouldn’t think the 65 would fit. Xxl frame also

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks! Ended up snagging a lightly used XL today. Should get it in a few days. I agree about focusing more on top tube length, where the XL is still actually a little shorter than my HD4 was. I think XL is the right move for me. Looking forward to this thing!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have pictures of how close the piggyback was to the frame? I just installed a 62.5 bomber and it’s close enough I wouldn’t think the 65 would fit. Xxl frame also
I don’t have a pic of that but it IS close, but not so close where you are going to touch even on a full bottom out, I can stick part of my pinky under it but i dunno the exact length. It is to note that my shock is custom tuned from Avy with their small bottom out bumper fully compressed. I measured it to make sure it would fit with Craig on the phone before I ordered. It is Close enough that when I contacted Cascade Components about the new link they told me it won’t work with the bomber because of the long piggyback. Craig can shorten it if needed ( He does this on The same shock for people on the Enduro). So probably an option to anyone that decides to use the shock with the link.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Here’s my XXL Transition sentinel v2 NX build. Everything is stock except longer stem/higher rise bars, and new flow ex3 rims on i9 1/1 hubs since I was breaking spokes on the stock novatec/flow d rims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here’s my XXL Transition sentinel v2 NX build. Everything is stock except longer stem/higher rise bars, and new flow ex3 rims on i9 1/1 hubs since I was breaking spokes on the stock novatec/flow d rims

Mine required a spoke tightening after about 50 miles and have been better about spokes since then. Broke about 8 myself before that though

·
Registered
627 Posts
Mine required a spoke tightening after about 50 miles and have been better about spokes since then. Broke about 8 myself before that though

I broke 2 so far. I had them true’d after about a month and the broken ones have come recently (6+ months later). Maybe the trueing didn’t go well.

The wheelset was a great deal from a local shop so I figured I’d be preemptive about it. Will keep the old wheels for a future hardtail build

·
Registered
4 Posts

Dang! How tall are you? That’s some serious height on the dropper on the xxl

·
Registered
627 Posts
Dang! How tall are you? That’s some serious height on the dropper on the xxl
6’7 with a 37” inseam. Probably will move to 60mm rise bars from my 40mm rise to get bars more even with my seat height

·
Registered
4 Posts
6’7 with a 37” inseam. Probably will move to 60mm rise bars from my 40mm rise to get bars more even with my seat height

Gotcha! I’m on a xxl and 6 4” with a 34-35” inseam and 6 8” wingspan. I’ve been thinking about going with a higher rise bar as I feel it’s still a little low. I just have about an inch or so of seat post showing though.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Gotcha! I’m on a xxl and 6 4” with a 34-35” inseam and 6 8” wingspan. I’ve been thinking about going with a higher rise bar as I feel it’s still a little low. I just have about an inch or so of seat post showing though.
Yea the inseam is what screws me lol

·
Registered
511 Posts
Does anybody have any insight into the availability of frames?
I’m selling a grey medium frame with X2 and invisaframe installed and a root beer 36 within the week
Posting ad here and pink bike
My bike is on this thread
Awesome bike, it’s just I’m on east coast and my Spur handles everything, gonna build a HT as my second bike
If i lived in steeper terrain I’d keep the sentinel

361 - 380 of 380 Posts