Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

301 - 320 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I hope you have better luck than me since, with the chaos in the UK ports with Brexit, Xmas and Covid, I've been waiting for more than 6 months for a frame and no real date yet...all I keep getting is "not too long now...soon?!"
As fort the Enduro review, I guess it always depends on the rider and the actual spec of the suspension...ill be on the new X2 (which Transition recommend over a coil) and Grip2 damper fork. The reason why I say about the review not being that great is in comparison to others ive read or seen like

Any details about them recommending the x2 over a coil? Or was it ride style specific?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any details about them recommending the x2 over a coil? Or was it ride style specific?

When I ordered my frame, they were still coming with the older version of the X2 in Performance spec (im still waiting after 6 months). A mate of mine who works in the suspension business tells me the new 2021 Fox X2 and DHX2 are much better than the previous, so I asked Transition which they would recommend since I was going to swap the shock...as much as they said a coil would work, they advised to stick with the X2 because it's more versatile and adjustable...coming from a Push ElevenSix for many years, I'm curious to go back to air and also save on the weight. The new X2 is probably the best air shock on the market currently, and with so many adjustments, i'm sure you can dial it perfectly...However, the EXT shock and fork are very appealing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
When I ordered my frame, they were still coming with the older version of the X2 in Performance spec (im still waiting after 6 months). A mate of mine who works in the suspension business tells me the new 2021 Fox X2 and DHX2 are much better than the previous, so I asked Transition which they would recommend since I was going to swap the shock...as much as they said a coil would work, they advised to stick with the X2 because it's more versatile and adjustable...coming from a Push ElevenSix for many years, I'm curious to go back to air and also save on the weight. The new X2 is probably the best air shock on the market currently, and with so many adjustments, i'm sure you can dial it perfectly...However, the EXT shock and fork are very appealing.
Thanks for the explanation!

·
Registered
2 Posts

[/QUOTE
Hi There, when I got my Sentinel built up the shop thought my 2021 X2 wasn't quite right so sent it back to Fox for a vacuum bleed. To get me up and riding they installed a Storia EXT coil for me while they waited for the X2 to be sorted.

I was very impressed with the EXT which was very supportive, had great pop and didn't bottom out. After a few rides however, I noticed that it wasn't as plush as I was expecting and perhaps I could have gone down a spring. When the X2 came back and was installed I quickly realised that it was precisely what I wanted. It was more energetic, better pop, and actually was more plush - bear in mind I used a ShockWiz to get it properly tuned for me and my riding.

So in summary I think that the latest X2 is fantastic for the Sentinel (although I did add an extra token), but would certainly be interested in trying the EXT Storia again with a lighter spring and perhaps a lighter compression tune.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think I’m feeling something similar with my superdeluxe coil. With a lighter spring it was really supple but bottom outs were an issue. Bumped up 50lbs on the spring and I don’t think it’s much of an improvement over the stock superdeluxe so now I’m debating if the coil is worth the extra pound of weight.

Throwing around the idea of a megneg on the superdeluxe to get a little softer off the top feel

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I’m feeling something similar with my superdeluxe coil. With a lighter spring it was really supple but bottom outs were an issue. Bumped up 50lbs on the spring and I don’t think it’s much of an improvement over the stock superdeluxe so now I’m debating if the coil is worth the extra pound of weight.

Throwing around the idea of a megneg on the superdeluxe to get a little softer off the top feel

Very interesting! I guess the one advantage of the EXT Storia over most other coils is the clever hydraulic bottom out function which I think really works. However, I've been totally happy with the X2 air.

Maybe the megneg will give you the feel you want.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Very interesting! I guess the one advantage of the EXT Storia over most other coils is the clever hydraulic bottom out function which I think really works. However, I've been totally happy with the X2 air.

Maybe the megneg will give you the feel you want.
It also could be that I’m used to the small bump of the coil. I’m going to try to ride them back to back to make sure before I try out the megneg

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the stock super deluxe air on my sentinel and my Megneg should be here in the next few days so I can give a ride report.
I have the same shock on my dh bike and the Megneg was a significant upgrade on there so I am hoping for good things.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have the stock super deluxe air on my sentinel and my Megneg should be here in the next few days so I can give a ride report.
I have the same shock on my dh bike and the Megneg was a significant upgrade on there so I am hoping for good things.
Awesome! Looking forward to hearing your review

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had my V2 built up with the new Float X2 and got about 4 rides in. I switched it out for the DHx2 and it better in most situations (except weight)..granted I live in Tahoe and have loose over hard as the predominant trail condition with lots of high speed chunk. I have found that the coil adds tons more grip, more composure in the rough, and still retains pop and consistency when jumping. I also appreciate the more consistent nature of the coil. With the X2 I felt I was always adjusting the dials looking for better small bump compliance without bottoming out. Maybe I'm just bad at tuning air shocks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had my V2 built up with the new Float X2 and got about 4 rides in. I switched it out for the DHx2 and it better in most situations (except weight)..granted I live in Tahoe and have loose over hard as the predominant trail condition with lots of high speed chunk. I have found that the coil adds tons more grip, more composure in the rough, and still retains pop and consistency when jumping. I also appreciate the more consistent nature of the coil. With the X2 I felt I was always adjusting the dials looking for better small bump compliance without bottoming out. Maybe I'm just bad at tuning air shocks.
The untold Secret is that the X2 isn't very good. The HSR is too indexed. It either removes square edges, or its a brick on them and doesnt budge - at least for me. Not sure why cause dhx2 is supposedly same damping and its great.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
i had a hell of a time trying to get an X2 feel good for me. constant tweaking of volume reducers, air pressures, tweaking compression and rebound. It always seemed i would improve one trait while making another one worse.

when i moved to a Mara Pro, right off the bat it felt better than i was ever able to get the X2, and i have barely got into optimizing the Mara.

The untold Secret is that the X2 isn't very good. The HSR is too indexed. It either removes square edges, or its a brick on them and doesnt budge - at least for me. Not sure why cause dhx2 is supposedly same damping and its great.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i had a hell of a time trying to get an X2 feel good for me. constant tweaking of volume reducers, air pressures, tweaking compression and rebound. It always seemed i would improve one trait while making another one worse.

when i moved to a Mara Pro, right off the bat it felt better than i was ever able to get the X2, and i have barely got into optimizing the Mara.
So you got the Mara Pro on the V2 sentinel? what size shock are you running? and did it have the big or standard air can? i been thinking of trying one out over the super deluxe to see what this manitou hype is about lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Assume both of you might be talking about the older version of the X2 and not the new 2021, which apparently is much better than the previous option, with much easier/noticeable adjustability?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the older X2 on my Yeti 5.5 and the 2021 X2 on my new Sentinel. I preferred the coil to both versions on both bikes. I think what has been mentioned above rings true. It seemed to always be off the sweet spot. Either too much movement and not enough support, or too harsh and lack of traction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In the stock configuration from Transition, I also initially had a ton of trouble getting the 2021 Fox X2 feeling good, a constant struggle for the right sensitivity and bit hit balance. Rear felt harsh in the end half of the stroke.

Transition does include a volume reducer from the factory on the v2 Sentinel with the 2021 Fox X2. After pulling that reducer out, I found it very easy to get the rear dialed and it feels like a completely different bike altogether. Soft off the top and plenty of mid-stroke support and bottom out resistance from the inherent progression. Personally, I'm loving the X2 on the Sentinel after pulling that reducer.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,449 Posts
Any news on availability of Sentinel v2 frames? Transition is sold out and recommended checking with dealers. Most dealers I've called don't carry frames, just built bikes. One option is to buy an NX build and sell off all the parts besides the frame (but seems like a lot of work). Any recommendations?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any news on availability of Sentinel v2 frames? Transition is sold out and recommended checking with dealers. Most dealers I've called don't carry frames, just built bikes. One option is to by an NX build and sell off all the parts besides the frame (but seems like a lot of work). Any recommendations?
Well you probably won't be able to find a complete NX... Yup, it's that bad lol

·
MTB SOCAL
1,449 Posts
Well you probably won't be able to find a complete NX... Yup, it's that bad lol
Actually, a local dealer has a complete NX build in my size / color. Hence, the dilemma.

301 - 320 of 380 Posts