Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

281 - 300 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I have had my Sentinel for about a month now and simply love it. I wanted one when they came out but sold out so fast. I'm a bike whore and go through a lot of bikes because why not, life is short:)(y) Over the last three years I've had a Yeti SB-130, Whyte S-150, Canyon Spectral, Ripmo, V4 Ripley, Evil Offering, Evil Following V3 and a new Norco Optic. All great bikes. That said I think I'm finally ready to settle down and be a one bike man. I live in Las Vegas. We have some of the best, most diverse trails around, singletrack, rocky, steep, chunky, nasty, BootLeg Canyon, high mountain singletrack, etc. I never shuttle so the bike has to climb. Fanatik got a XL in and I jumped on it. You can see my build here.......

Fanatik Build

Transition hit a home run. I was a little worried about the long wheelbase but damn if this bike doesn't just kick ass everywhere. We have lots of technical climbs here, and I was worried it would be too long. Just the opposite. The longer wheelbase calms the bike down and it just walks right up at the tech climbs. I never use a lock out and it does fine on fire roads. Hauls ass downhill and I've suddenly become a huge fan of the slack 63 degree head angle. It is so confidence inspiring yet with the steep seat angle doesn't affect climbing at all. Jumping is just plain fun. I feel like in flying a 747 in the air - it is just super stable and easy to jump. Still very playful. I pop off everything. It is still pretty light at 31 pounds which I'm fine with. I'll post more pics and rides in the future and review it more as I get more time but this bike rocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Sentinel v2 owner here and having spent the last 3 months scouring the internet for anything Sentinel related before deciding to pull the pin I thought I'd share my experience to hopefully help others.

My last bike was an XL Giant Trance 2014 27.5 so geometry had changed sufficiently over the last 5 years or so. I live in NZ which means getting access to demo bikes can be challenging so my next bike was probably going to bought without the chance to ride it which meant doing all the research I could to get it right.

My riding is varied and includes trail, some steep techy stuff and also bike park access with mainly flowy bermy runs and jumps.

I was looking for a more aggressive bike to grow into and advance my skills. My biggest consideration was the bike size, I'm 6 4" 100kg and have never felt like I've had a bike that fitted well. Looking at geo charts for a lot of companies my height tends to be not catered for or at the top of the range. The trend for longer reach and streeper STA's on bikes seemed to be what I was looking for but the question was how much did I need and how much was too much?

Well the first time I saw the new Sentinel it was love at first sight but in all honesty the slack head tube seemed like to much bike for me as I didn't just want a downhill slayer. After comparing lots of different bike geometries and reading every review going I decided that maybe this was the bike for me and the slack hta was decieving.

So I made the call and speaking to my Transition dealer discussed my riding style and he suggested that I should size up to the XXL. I wasn't 100% sure but trusted him at his word and with bike stock dwindling fast I went with it but **** I was nervous.

So bike arrived yesterday. First impressions this thing looks beautiful! Riding up to the top of my trails the bike climbs really well. I tend to stay seated mainly and suspension bob was minimal and felt really efficient and comfortable. Cockpit felt perfect for my height and was not too long as I feared it may have, super comfy. Next test was through uphill tight switchbacks and no issues which surprised me as I expected some compromises somewhere. The shorter fork offset meant the front wheel doesn't feel as far away as I thought it would and feels nicely tucked in keeping the bike agile around the bends. The sta angle on these modern bikes is a game changer for taller folks like me and blew me away the most. Climbing is so much more composed, feeling more central on the bike and combined with the bigger wheels more effortless over smaller roots and the like.

Started on some flowy downhill blues to begin to find my feet, the bike felt lively and really poppy off small jumps and out of berms. The bike was carrying so much more speed which is really the only thing I need to get accustomed to whilst everything else felt like being at home.

Onto some steeper stuff and the confidence this thing gives me just what was after. Being able to get the 210mm dropper out the way was bliss. My usual feeling on the old bike of wanting to go OTB was gone and this bike just eggs you on.

So far I'm only two rides deep but I'm so impressed. The best way I can describe the bike is that it is a full of contradictions. It is long but doesn't ride like how I thought a long bike would and It's slack but still remains agile and climbs really well, better than my Trance. Like I said earlier I was expecting a trade off somewhere but so far I haven't come across any negatives and seems a really great all rounder. Oh and did I mention quiet, oh so quiet.....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Same situation for me. Came from an XL 2014 trance 27.5 to the XXL sentinel v2 (6’7 with a 36” inseam). Ridden it for the past 7 months and it’s amazing at everything. Great one bike solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Since we are on showing off pictures of our sentinels, here is my one, it's a few weeks old now and I've had a few rides. It's more different to the old one than I thought it would be, in a good way.
20201205_123552.jpg

20201205_123601.jpg

20201205_142939.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Still waiting for my frame...over 6 months now...so annoying.
Don't know if you guys have seen/read the latest test comparison on the Enduro-mtb mag or not but they didn't give the Sentinel that great review IMO... almost made it look like its a great climber but not much else...strange really...some reviews are absolutely awesome and make the bike sound like the best ever, while others (like this one and Pinkbike's) are a bit "meh". I can't wait to try it and feel it for myself tho but just wanted to gather your personal opinions.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Don't know if you guys have seen/read the latest test comparison on the Enduro-mtb mag or not but they didn't give the Sentinel that great review IMO..
I had a look but couldn't find this test, can you link it? I'd be interested to see what they have to say about it.

I just rewached the pinkbike review as I didn't remember it being bad at all, and I don't think it is. They said its not an enduro race bike, and in comparison to modern race bikes like the specialized enduro it's not, but they did say that if you live stoneground with steep descents and long climbs to get there or its a great bike. They compared it to the Ripmo and Sight and certainly didn't say it was worse than either of those bikes, just different, both of which received positive reviews.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a look but couldn't find this test, can you link it? I'd be interested to see what they have to say about it.

I just rewached the pinkbike review as I didn't remember it being bad at all, and I don't think it is. They said its not an enduro race bike, and in comparison to modern race bikes like the specialized enduro it's not, but they did say that if you live stoneground with steep descents and long climbs to get there or its a great bike. They compared it to the Ripmo and Sight and certainly didn't say it was worse than either of those bikes, just different, both of which received positive reviews.
You have to download their app and download the new issue free. They compare it with various other bikes.
Still trying to understand what an enduro race bike is really? A 29er with 150 travel, that climbs quite well and has a 63.6 HA, should at least on paper be a good enduro bike. Maybe a coil changes it from a poppy/fun to a more composed/plow bike.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Don't know if you guys have seen/read the latest test comparison on the Enduro-mtb mag or not but they didn't give the Sentinel that great review IMO... almost made it look like its a great climber but not much else...strange really...some reviews are absolutely awesome and make the bike sound like the best ever, while others (like this one and Pinkbike's) are a bit "meh". I can't wait to try it and feel it for myself tho but just wanted to gather your personal opinions.
I read the PB review as highly positive. Certainly better than just "meh." I wonder how you reached that takeaway?

·
Registered
225 Posts
You have to download their app and download the new issue free. They compare it with various other bikes.
Still trying to understand what an enduro race bike is really? A 29er with 150 travel, that climbs quite well and has a 63.6 HA, should at least on paper be a good enduro bike. Maybe a coil changes it from a poppy/fun to a more composed/plow bike.
I think a modern enduro bike is more like 170-180mm travel, very descending focused rear suspension, fox 38/ RS Zeb, basically a downhill bike that it is possible to pedal back to the top, think the current specialized enduro etc.
The sentinel is a bit lighter, less travel, pedals quite well, poppy suspension setup rather than a downhill bike feel.
The sentinel is a great bike, but if you want a dedicated enduro race bike it's a bit under gunned. I have a downhill bike so this is the perfect next step down to me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Enduro-MTB review is reviewing it in the context of racing Enduro. In that regard, it's going to be slightly undergunned vs the bigger platforms that are better plow bikes. For most mortals, the Sentinel is going to be exactly what they alluded to. Plenty capable and tons of fun. The review really isn't a surprise, it's just their methodology is different from most other reviewers. The one they did a month or two back with actual EWS race bikes was really interesting in that their findings after testing some of the pro's bikes found that some of the more conservative geometry bikes were actually faster against the clock.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The Enduro-MTB review is reviewing it in the context of racing Enduro. In that regard, it's going to be slightly undergunned vs the bigger platforms that are better plow bikes. For most mortals, the Sentinel is going to be exactly what they alluded to. Plenty capable and tons of fun. The review really isn't a surprise, it's just their methodology is different from most other reviewers. The one they did a month or two back with actual EWS race bikes was really interesting in that their findings after testing some of the pro's bikes found that some of the more conservative geometry bikes were actually faster against the clock.
I think enduro mag is full of crap & making **** up. Old sentinel is perfectly capable.

Is this the same mag that said the SB150 is the best enduro race bike cause they timed it?

Basically the best bike depends on the rider. You may be faster on one setup versus another, but it doesn't really matter for the most part.

If you're less experienced than a bigger/longer/slacker bike with more travel "may" be better, but mostly cause you're relaxed and not because of some bike magic.

The sentinel is plenty capable of winning an ews race. Its 160/150 like the majority of bikes being raced. Suspension layout is same as what sam hill, martin maes, and jessie melemad run (horst link). The SB150 is 170/150 and having had one its not better than the sentinel it replaced (actually wasnt as good as I expected).

Dont read too much into the reviews. Most of these guys are influenced by the marketing they have to filter through (and paid to put in the reviews?) and EVERYONE is subjective and biased to some extent. For me reviews are just one guys perspective.

Also, more coffee? Yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I had to pick a bike to race and it was between the SB150 and Sentinel, I would go with SB150. IMO the SB150 handles the rough stuff a little better than the Sentinel. Maybe with 170 fork, I'll get a similar feel.

BTW here is my SB150 I sold earlier this year

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
If I had to pick a bike to race and it was between the SB150 and Sentinel, I would go with SB150. IMO the SB150 handles the rough stuff a little better than the Sentinel. Maybe with 170 fork, I'll get a similar feel.

BTW here is my SB150 I sold earlier this year
Having ridden an SB150, I would tend to agree, but racing is not my primary use for this bike so the Sentinel made sense for me. I have also heard not so complementary things about maintenance requirements on the Yeti bikes with Switch Infinity. I prefer riding my bike to servicing it so that was another win for the Transition.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just placed a deposit on an XT build. I'm fine with a poppy platform that skips at times vs. a plow/planted platform. Aiming for fun vs. all out speed.

The one comment that concerned me was the understeer. Is the bike predisposed to front wheel washout as the article indicates? The authors described other bikes as more balanced.

If this is truly an all-rounder, I don't want to feel like I have to be 100% "on" at all times in terms of making sure that front wheel is properly weighted. Or at least I don't want to have to think about it, I would like it to be more of an organic experience.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's a relatively long bike with a slack head angle, so you are always going to have to weight the front a bit, especially on flat corners. But having come off the last gen Sentinel it's no worse than that one, if anything the longer stay probably helps a little in this regard

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just placed a deposit on an XT build. I'm fine with a poppy platform that skips at times vs. a plow/planted platform. Aiming for fun vs. all out speed.

The one comment that concerned me was the understeer. Is the bike predisposed to front wheel washout as the article indicates? The authors described other bikes as more balanced.

If this is truly an all-rounder, I don't want to feel like I have to be 100% "on" at all times in terms of making sure that front wheel is properly weighted. Or at least I don't want to have to think about it, I would like it to be more of an organic experience.
I hope you have better luck than me since, with the chaos in the UK ports with Brexit, Xmas and Covid, I've been waiting for more than 6 months for a frame and no real date yet...all I keep getting is "not too long now...soon?!"
As fort the Enduro review, I guess it always depends on the rider and the actual spec of the suspension...ill be on the new X2 (which Transition recommend over a coil) and Grip2 damper fork. The reason why I say about the review not being that great is in comparison to others ive read or seen like

281 - 300 of 380 Posts