Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 380 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The redesigned Transition Sentinel is now live!

Transition Sentinel 2020 Highlights

• Full EPS molded carbon frame (front triangle, rear triangle, and rocker)
  • New, progressive suspension design
  • 148mm Boost dropout spacing
  • Stock rear travel 150mm with 62.5mm stroke shock
  • Downsize to 140mm rear travel with 57.5mm stroke shock
  • Enduro Max sealed bearings with bearing shields on main pivot
  • 44mm/56mm Press In Headset
  • Threaded bottom bracket
  • Molded rubber chainstay, seatstay & downtube protection
  • External rear brake cable routing
  • Water bottle storage inside the front triangle
  • Accessory mount on underside of toptube
  • 29-inch wheels with tire clearance up to 2.6-inches wide
  • Weight: 7.05 lbs frame with shock
Geometry

How does it ride?

"I’ve cleaned more techy climbing sections, felt more confident on blind trails, and had more fun riding the Sentinel than many previous bikes. The Sentinel’s climbing characteristics may require a bit of readjustment if you’re not accustomed to Transition’s geometry, but once you find the sweet spot, this bike will most certainly leave you satiated as you clean more technical bits than you have on any other bike."

Read our first impressions here: https://reviews.mtbr.com/review-2020-transition-sentinel

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I had been anxiously awaiting the release of the 2.0 as an option over the Ripmo AF. Sadly with no AL option I’m out. 4500 for NX with mediocre suspension and no coil options are disappointing. Might still look at OG and the new link option.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Big fan out the external rear brake as someone who works on their own bikes and changes parts out more frequently than necessary.

Bearing integration looks to be a little better so they don’t get destroyed multiple times a year? Maybe wishful thinking.

Paint appears to still be sub-par as the pinkbike tester had paint chips already.

More progressive is awesome.

I like the longer chain-stays personally.

I really like the straight lines. Looks awesome. Though the colors (“loam gold”?) aren’t my cup of tea.

Looks like great bike, but if I was to get a new bike right now it would still be an Enduro.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Good lookin' bike!

Specific to my size, but I wish XL were just a tad longer. I think that because they also make an XXL they didn't push the geometry as far. Wish that reach were like 510, closer to Norco Sight territory.

The "Loam pool," the cavity under the lower shock mount that will fill with water and mud is kind of a bummer. I live in the PNW and so do the Transition guys, so this seems like an oversight.

Given that they kept this bike a bit conservative, and that the "alternative travel" option is shorter not longer, I expect the Patrol to be updated next and to include a 170mm 29er option.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Liked it so much I just bought a gx alloy in red ......$3650 shipped ftw.....not a fan of sramshox.

·
Registered
892 Posts
In order to avoid canibalizing the new Sentinel a potential 29er Patrol should have 180 front - 170 rear travel and 63 head angle. I would love to see such a bike I doubt it will happen.

·
EMBA MTB Lead Instructor
891 Posts
I would think you could just overfork the Sentinel to get a 170/150 bike pretty easy.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I really like the straight lines. Looks awesome. Though the colors (“loam gold”?) aren’t my cup of tea.
Funny, I liked the swoopy lines of the previous versions better. Made Transition bikes stand out from the crowd and you could ID one at a glance. But the new lines aren't bad, at all.

As for Loam Gold, the pictures don't do it justice. I had the chance to see one a few weeks ago when the Transition crew was out testing the new mega jump line they build and it's a really, really nice color in person!

·
Registered
59 Posts
is it me or is there a trend with a lot of bike companies that cheaper alloy models are getting pushed out of line ups and being replaces by carbon? I wish this will not happen with transition. I think it is happening already though. Personally I hope I am wrong but I think that the previous gen sentinel alloys will be gone within the next year.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Funny, I liked the swoopy lines of the previous versions better. Made Transition bikes stand out from the crowd and you could ID one at a glance. But the new lines aren't bad, at all.

As for Loam Gold, the pictures don't do it justice. I had the chance to see one a few weeks ago when the Transition crew was out testing the new mega jump line they build and it's a really, really nice color in person!
Ok, upon further review I may agree with you. I did like my Pinot Noir sentinel better than my Megatower as far as looks were concerned.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
The Privateer has an 80 degree seat tube angle with ridiculously short top tube numbers. I'm not going to purchase something like that without a test ride.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The Privateer has an 80 degree seat tube angle with ridiculously short top tube numbers. I'm not going to purchase something like that without a test ride.
Yea, top tube looks short. I hate climbing with short top tubes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
without turning this into a Privateer thread, is it me or the sizing for the 161 all effed up?

the P2 has
reach: 470mm
wheelbase: 1250mm
which puts it in the L/XL Sentinel

but has
Top tube: 581mm
which puts it in Medium

Edit: Just saw that oldhouseman and MUSTCLIME said the same thing

1 - 20 of 380 Posts