Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever tried them?
These thing are CHEAP! I'm seriously considering buying them and replace my current wheelset. Other than that, would you consider 2200g a light wheelset?

ANY info on them would be great.

thanks, Luigi.

·
Captains Log
84 Posts
Yeah, i own a set. Pretty light for the amount of abuse they can take. I ride rugged
Rocky Mtn trails and do light free riding and dirt jumps with mine. If you can get a good deal on them then go for it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good deal? are you kidding me?
the suggested retail price on those are 280 bucks!
they are a good deal. I have failed to find a wheelset as cheap and as light for a similar price.

Have you ever damaged the set?? bent them or anything?

·
Captains Log
84 Posts
Luigiugueto said:

Have you ever damaged the set?? bent them or anything?
Nope. Theres a 3 foot drop to flat in my front yard that i hit all the time, and I accidentaly slam way to hard into rocks i cant avoid somtimes. Nothing to extreme, but they have taken that abuse for 5 months now. I will probly get them trued before i hit the bike park next month but so far they're solid.
Im confident they can take more than what ive thrown at them so far. I will find out next month at Keystone

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
well the Dt swiss 5.1d is 500g, even the 6.1d is only 600g. These things are the weight of the SUN MTX (doubt as strong), and the only rims I know of heavier are the double tracks. With all that weight at the rim I'm worried about acceleration and climbing. Currently in the market for the complete Transition Covert, I'm very interested in hearing otherwise.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the Dt Swiss' are at least 80 bucks per rim, that makes at least 160 bucks for a wheelset, spokes are another 80 for the front, about 150 for the rear. spokes and the build will cost you around another 50 bucks to make up for easy numbers.that's AT LEAST 450 bucks for a wheelset(hoping you ger killer deals / decent hubs). This one's 280-300ish. I'm not saying it's the lightest, but it's not heavy and they're said to be strong. What more could you ask for?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
crazylax42 said:
well the Dt swiss 5.1d is 500g, even the 6.1d is only 600g. These things are the weight of the SUN MTX (doubt as strong), and the only rims I know of heavier are the double tracks. With all that weight at the rim I'm worried about acceleration and climbing. Currently in the market for the complete Transition Covert, I'm very interested in hearing otherwise.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Covert, and the new 15 mm. Fox QR interests me but it looks like some manner of serious dent in bank account or a slippery slope if I stray from the stock build kit and the forks they generally sell. I don't weight 150 pounds so I think I may be able to consider lighter gear than many even though I ride rough stuff.

Based on rim width it does seem like these AM32 wheels are not the same as their

Note rim difference between wheelset and rims sold a la carte:
http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Components_RevolutionRim.cfm
http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Components_Revolution.cfm

As far as the light part. There are wheels sold with known hubs and rims that are slightly less weight, but it seems you don't know the builder or if a warranty issue would be as straight forward. Yes it's a long shot, but I have a pair of single speed wheels where the spokes are laced wrong, not something I noticed until later when they started creaking, and clearly a warranty fight beyond and not worth picking by the time it became an issue. A scenario where Transition's good reputation could be on the owner's side vs. dealing with a mail order company.

Basically it seems like there's little to nothing said negative about the company's products and their service with anecdotal evidence that they take the high road when their products do have issues. Add what looks like a fair product and value and it's probably what I'll get.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
jetta_mike said:
transitions AM wheel set is a 28mm rim not the 32's. Plus they are QR only. I think you got something crossed there.
Yes, their two web links for wheels and rims spell that out where the AM32 are described as 25 mm. double wall pinned rims, but the rim link only shows the wider 32 and 36 hole rims sold as an individual product. Thus, my own conclusion is the rims for the AM32 wheelset probably have more in common with other aftermarket rims.

Maybe my post about the Fox 15 mm. axle was confusing. I would not mind that for the bike I plan to build, but it's not in Transition offerings right now whether it's wheels or hubs for sale or the forks in their kits.

·
Designated Bleeder
320 Posts
AM wheels

First, let me say that I love Transition stuff. Frames, parts, everything they make is bomb proof. You can't go wrong with a nice Transition wheelset.

However, let me also put my two cents in for the Sun Str8 Tracks. I got a wheelset hand built for $300 on sale at Jenson last year. These suckers are decently light (about 2100g for the pair) and come with a 20mm thru axel. They are as tough as my old Azonic Outlaws and a heck of a lot lighter.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong for under $300.

CK

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm cool. Well the handbuilt part is always nice. If I find a similar deal to your i'll see. If not, a 100 gram difference won't bother me, a 100 dollar difference will lol.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
I run the 32's on my downhill rig. They are by no means light as they weigh more than my deemax wheelset. However they seem to be holding up just fine with DH and freeride abuse and roll extreamly smooth. Hubs can be set up any way you need .Mine is setup with a 20mm front and 10mm solid thru axel rear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.