Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about making the plunge and getting my first full suspension all mountain bike and the Transition Preston FR looks like a likely candidate. I am only slightly hesitant, because no dealer around me stocks them so i will kind of have to order blindly.

I am 6'1" so I think the large would suit my needs best, but I am wondering, how is this bike to pedal as most of the riding I do will require a ride up before the drop down...

Thanks for your input.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
hpantier said:
I am thinking about making the plunge and getting my first full suspension all mountain bike and the Transition Preston FR looks like a likely candidate. I am only slightly hesitant, because no dealer around me stocks them so i will kind of have to order blindly.

I am 6'1" so I think the large would suit my needs best, but I am wondering, how is this bike to pedal as most of the riding I do will require a ride up before the drop down...

Thanks for your input.
Based on your website, you're in the general Boulder area, no? If so, go to the Fix who is a big transition dealer in your area.

Also, depending on your ratio of up to down and the size of things you'd like to hit, I'd also consider a Covert if I were you.

Cheers,
EB

·
Registered
25 Posts
You would ride a large in less you like a really short top tube. I'm 6'3" and ride a large with 70mm stem. I have a good buddy that rides a med and his looking to go up to a large, He's under 6'. As for pedaling the Preston is great! The preston rides like a hardtail till you need the suspension, then it is there for you.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I live in Washington State, so much like you, I have to do a good deal of climbing before I get to descend. Just drop it in granny gear and it goes up like a tractor. The bike does pedal pretty well due to it's shorter travel but it's definitely no cross country bike. The trade off is it rips going down! I have an 06 so its a bit different but the geo feels so dialed and it really is a versatile ride. I can only afford one bike so I literally do everything on it and it works great for me. I ride a large and am also 6'1 so I would recommend a large.

·
Registered
708 Posts
hpantier, how long you've been living in Boulder and riding bikes..? I'm moving there in less than two months (college) and I might need some DH/FR/AM buddies to ride with as I'm moving there all by myself.

·
Registered
769 Posts
you'd be fine with the large, i've sold 2 larges to one guy that was 6'2, and one that's 6'4 this year...to be honest all of the transitions climb well...even by blindside. I thought the dirtbag did really well also so you could look at those too, esp a dirtbag with an adjustable travel fork

·
Registered
55 Posts
i'm 6'1" and have ridden a large for a little over the last year ... i run a 50mm stem and straight post and it feels perfect ... a medium would definitely be too short for me with that setup

·
Registered
297 Posts
6"2" on a large '07 with a Temple stem and lovin' it!

As far as pedaling the rig up, the old saying applies: That which does not kill will only serve to make you stronger! These days I'm rarely dropping down into the granny ring for climbs.

·
Registered
884 Posts
mine is a frame up build... 37 lbs

Lyrik U-turn front
Roco air shock
X-7 shifters and rear d
Holzfeller OCT cranks
Blackspire rings, Goldtooth bash, Blackspire stinger tensioner
SRAM 990 chain, 970 cassette
Blackspire headset
Gravity handle bars and stem, Thomson post
Mavic 321 rims with Hope Pro II hub
Juicy 5 brakes

Probably fairly similar in weight to the stock build..

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have a large with a 70mm stem. Feels great on trails, maby a bit short while riding paved roads to work (but a bike that would feel perfect on the paved roads to work would be too long on the trails).

·
Designated Bleeder
320 Posts
2006 Preston FR

My Preston is about 35 lbs. Its built for AM and FR, though I do plenty of XC on it. Here is the basic build... I am about 6' and the large fits me great...

Large 2006 Preston FR frame with a Manitou Swinger 4-way Air shock
2006 Rock Shox Pike 426 U-turn coil
2008 Sun Str8 Track wheelset
Azonic Doublewall bars
Thomson 90mm stem
Titec setpost
WTB laser V seat
FSA crankset and BB
SRAM X.9 drivetrain - front to back
Avid Mech Disk brakes
WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT on the front
Conti Vertical Protection 2.3 on the back

A great bike for ripping technical singletrack here in New England...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.