Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to hear anything negative about Transition Bikes, except for cheap paint jobs. Every bike has to have some weaknesses right?

Just curious as I am frame shopping.

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
passably the frames could be lighter... but they are light enough. numerous examples of realistic (as in not 8000 dollar) builds coming in at excellent weights. the frames are bombproof though. so with a reasonably intelligent parts selection you can have the best of both worlds.

the paint seams to very, my black 07 BR got scratched up the instant i looked at it funny. but really, who gives a f99k!! you better be crashing the f outa your tranny and sending it cartwheeling off into the woods every now and then, so its gunna get scratched to hell n back no matter what kinda paint it has. but to tell ya the truth, after a year of near daily abuse, and some pretty gnarled on paint, the bike still looks dang good. the paint seams to be a touch on the 'soft' side, but it doesn't chip, or flake and isn't just looking like overall crap.

the plus side though, they've posted on the board and made it clear about how they feel about the paint. they don't put allot into it, and they pass the cost savings down to us. they encourage customers who want a killer paint/powedercoat ect. job to have the frames stripped and redone custom without any effect on warranties ect.

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
Bad paint? Whatever...so do Evils and SpecialEds.

Paint is meant to be scratched off on rocks and taxis.
If you are that worried about it get a raw frame and powdercoat it, or just leave it naked. :)

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
Good, Dirtbag was a great first DH/FR bike for me.. def. made up for my lack of skill last season..

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
Great bikes, yes they are a little on the heavy side, but who really cares.

Awesome bikes

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
They are great bikes especially for the money. I solved the paint problem by stripping mine but the paint really isn't that horrible. My Gran Mal weighs 40lbs on the nose with heavy tires and a coil shock so they aren't that heavy.

·
Registered
769 Posts
alpinestar12 said:
basically the same company as Kona but cooler cause they are "rider owned" n stuff.
are you serious??? they're nothing like each other. the dirtbag and stinky are the same style linkage...but i guess you can include some banshees, versus, and numerous other bikes. you need to get some glasses

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right on, thanks for the Transition posts. Weight is not an issue with me, I personally like big beefy bikes...more of a comfort feeling I guess you could say! As far as cheap paint jobs go, yeah who really cares...I use to think Banshee had one of the worst paint jobs ever, I swear the paint would come off if you rubbed it with your hand..haha But either strip it and powder coat it, or like I do..plaster it with stickers...that's why stickers were invented man.

But yeah seriously looking at the transitions as my price range for a frame tops out at $1,300 until I win the lottery. The other frame I have been eyeing is the Yeti ASX. TOugh choice, both are kick ass bikes....eh!

·
Big Test Icycles
1,480 Posts
Put it this way, they ride great and dont break the bank. I dont see the extra weight everyone is talking about. Most FR/DH frames are in the 8 to 10 pound range once you add a coil shock to it and 35 to 40+ once built up. I have a Turner 5 Spot and got used to good customer service for what I had bought. Transition in my opinion is in the same league as Turner as far as that goes. They answer the phone and will actually answer your questions and work with you, try to get Kona, Rock Mountain, or any of the other big guys to do that for you.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,747 Posts
For the money there aren't many frames that can compete... I have a Bottlerocket and it's a great bike. It has it's flaws; my linkage develops slop, but it's easy to tighten, the machining around the bearing seats could be better, but for the type of frame it is, you can't get any better for the price! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts