Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really looking at the Preston FR with the 5 in kit. Is 8.5 pounds heavy for a big long ride hit anything bike. I have a 40 pound RFX. So Im looking for a trailbike I can really open up and not be afraid of breaking anything that I can climb on for a couple hours and Im not afraid to jump it a little. Anybody know anything about this bike. Sould be concerned about the plushness of the 5 inches because the romic is 6.5 eye to eye as opposed to a longer shock setup?

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
I rode with a guy that had one. He digs it. In fact I think that hebroke his collar bone on a 30ft speed double on that bike. The thing is still rideable, but now he has more screws in his bones than on the bike. I guess his bike fared far better than he did. I got a dirt bag a few months ago and am fairly happy with it. Its a little undersprung for my style of riding but for a couple bucks that can be rectafied. But i rode the preston around for a bit, and it pedaled super good. Especially since i have about 20-30 lbs on the guy and am 6" taller. NSMB did a write up on the bike a few months ago. Seems like its a good 5" freerider. Plus the guys at transition are pretty cool and ride a heck of alot more than i do.
word

Dave

·
Registered
827 Posts
artsn said:
So Im looking for a trailbike I can really open up and not be afraid of breaking anything that I can climb on for a couple hours and Im not afraid to jump it a little.
you already own that bike. how is your RFX set up? you could put the 5" plates on and get a 5" fork, dual ring setup with E13 drs chainguide (something like 26-38 rings with a 11-34 cassette). get a few different pairs of tires, run normal tubes, you'll have the bike you're looking for, unless you want to keep the RFX set up as it is. not to deter you from doing what you want, but have you considered converting the RFX and getting a bigger bike? what do you use the RFX for now?
check out www.nsmb.com it's a north shore site, lotsa Transitions over there. i've heard a lot of good things about the company and their bikes, but have never ridden them.

·
bored
168 Posts
I haven't heard anything negative about the bike. Go to transitionbikes.com and dowload the video for the Preston FR--you'll see what it's meant for, but keep in mind that it can also be built way lighter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.