Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you guys feel about transition bikes, I am thinking about buying either a BottleRocket or a DirtBag frame only. here are a few of my questions about them. I only have about a grand so I am pretty limited...

Are they tough?
does transition honor their warrenty?
which shock would you get?(fox van r, fox dhx 5.0, or marzo roco tst r)?

Thanks

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
from what I have heard, transition as a company is awesome. The products are really nice too. I would suggest the BR, but that is because it gave me a wet dream.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
Mwehahaha said:
how do you guys feel about transition bikes, I am thinking about buying either a BottleRocket or a DirtBag frame only. here are a few of my questions about them. I only have about a grand so I am pretty limited...

Are they tough?
does transition honor their warrenty?
which shock would you get?(fox van r, fox dhx 5.0, or marzo roco tst r)?

Thanks
Are they tough? : Yes
does transition honor their warrenty? : Yes
which shock would you get?(fox van r, fox dhx 5.0, or marzo roco tst r)? : Depends on what you plan on doing...

·
Registered
354 Posts
the frames are all made in tiawan, they honor their warranty, the welds are good.

the 06 dirt bag frames are on sale, both bikes are sweet, the BB heights and standover heights are different. what type of riding are you going to do?

I have a dirt bag and like it a lot, I know people with BR's who like them a lot to.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
mtb_biker said:
Are they tough? : Yes
does transition honor their warrenty? : Yes
which shock would you get?(fox van r, fox dhx 5.0, or marzo roco tst r)? : Depends on what you plan on doing...
true dat.....roco though

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ive seen the dirtbag get a beating.. it holds up ok.. i've ridden a bottlerocket.. they feel pretty good also.. just a tad short on the rear travel for me.. but otherwise they pedal pretty good... if i had to choose between the 2.. i'd go a bottle.. .. or you could find someone who owns a versus.. and try it out.. i fell in love with it for jumping.. i hav'nt done any down hill yet but, soon enough
i'm riding a demo 9 at the moment.. ,you Can jump on those things but..they are way better on the ground at high speeds..
i'm replacing it with a versus Blitz..

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
Transition bikes are super solid. They are a rider owned company that stands behind their product with no-questions-asked crash replacement policy. If you want a testament to their toughness, check out the Transition videos and see how huge Mike Metzger hucks his dirtbag.

I own an '06 Dirtbag, and it's a sweet bike.. Bottlerocket is more of a slopestyle trick bike, so if you're into that then get the BR.

If you're going to do a lot of trail pedaling then get a DHX 5.0, if you're just gonna shuttle DH and huck your bike, get the Roco!

cheers

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well thats what i wanted to hear. sounds like for what I do I would be etter off on the dirtbag.

I will have to be climbing so the DHX 5.0 is best?

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
Mwehahaha said:
well thats what i wanted to hear. sounds like for what I do I would be etter off on the dirtbag.

I will have to be climbing so the DHX 5.0 is best?
DHX being a platform shock, will be better for pedaling.. though won't feel as supple and bottomless as the Roco.. so it's a bit of a compromise

·
Check out Epic Cycles
42 Posts
Go with the Bottle Rocket

The Bottle Rocket is one of the best all around freeride bikes out there. It has a perfect set back geo. and rides like a charm. I would go with the DHX Air or Coil if your Heavy. Its a bad ass bike that's built like a tank, by riders for riders. Check out Epic Cycles in Topanga Ca. For some great deals on all Transition Bikes!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Just to add a little, the 2006 Dirtbag frames are for sell on Transitions website for 699 w/swinger 4-way, don't know if you can upgrade to another shock with that deal, if not then Adrenaline bikes have the Dirtbags for ~850 and the upgrade to DHX is only 100. Hope this helps.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Transition = Awesome

Plain and simple - Transition puts out a high quality frame, at a good price with top of the line customer service and rider-owned style which is noted in the product line.

I have had 4 frames in total which I personally built up - Dirtbag first, Then the Vagrant, Followed by the Bottlerocket and finally the Gran Mal. I sold the Dirtbag frame only to get a Bottlerocket frame at the time and that I wanted 3 bikes - HT, 5-6" and 8" travel.

I currently ride all 3 and love each for their specific purposes. Kevin and Kyle are great to talk to, very knowledgeable in their fields and they make a great product. I had an issue with the shock hardware on the DB and they sent out new parts for $5 (shipping) and I had it in 3 days. Fixed the issue on the spot. When I ordered the GM frame, I forgot to ask for a rear axle (does not come with frame). I called them up and they 2-dayed it to my shop (no charge) and received on Friday in time for the weekend. Killer customer service.

After having the DB with a Romic, BR with a 4-way and the GM with a DHX 5.0, I think the DHX is the best shock.all around. It dials in for the exact feel that you want. Also I can't complain about the 4-way. It also can be dialed in very well...

And no I will not sell ANY of them...I really think I have all the bikes I need for a while...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
sorry for the thread jack, but like how good are they, I know they are single piviot, but how do they compare to vpp and dw on downhill, would love to support a small company but im hooked on SC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.