Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, curious to hear thoughts on this one? I certainly think it's absolute BS, totally unfair to the real women who work and train so hard to win, only to have a position taken away by a man, who most likely couldn't hack it against other men and so decided to give this "work-around" a go :skep: I'm not really against people do whatever they want, but you CANNOT change your gender properties, no matter what hormone treatment you undergo.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
It's BS! I posted a similar situation in the weird and whacky news thread, track/field related.

Like you, I don't care what people do, but for competition, it's not fair to women, period.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Was he/she on an Ebike?

·
Meatbomb
7,096 Posts
If born a male you will have natural advantages if competing against most females. This is simply not a fair competition....

But then, he cheated and did not take first ... things that make you go hmmmmm.

·
jcd's best friend
2,963 Posts
I did find an article from 2018 about Kate Weatherly. Apparently the testosterone medication dropped her testosterone levels below a woman's level. I still don't think it changes much even with lower testosterone levels.

This article is quite interesting with regards to what should be a level playing field: https://interactives.stuff.co.nz/2018/03/a-level-playing-field/

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
If born a male you will have natural advantages if competing against most females. This is simply not a fair competition....

But then, he cheated and did not take first ... things that make you go hmmmmm.
That is not necessarily true. Girls have almost the same amount of muscle as boys until a certain point, when boys muscle and bone mass takes off.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,212 Posts
It's BS! I posted a similar situation in the weird and whacky news thread, track/field related.

Like you, I don't care what people do, but for competition, it's not fair to women, period.

I wish the dude luck.
You also, either intentionally or out of ignorance, portrayed that person a having had gender reassignment surgery and/or cheating.

Which you were called out on, and apparently forgot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
That is not necessarily true. Girls have almost the same amount of muscle as boys until a certain point, when boys muscle and bone mass takes off.
Yeah, we'll take care of that by transitioning 5 year olds!
Just let everyone compete, regardless of any restriction, in all sports so that there are no women specific sports programs. See what that does to participation by females.
Allowing men to compete in women's sports - even if they think they are female unicorns - is nonsense.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Maybe I'm a luddite, but it's pretty simple to me.

External plumbing, man. Compete in men's categories.

Internal plumbing, woman. Compete in women's categories (even with a potential residual advantage).

If you are, make the commitment.

·
Registered
409 Posts
There are some legit concerns and it'll be interesting to see how the sport handles it.

Beings trans in our society must be really hard. It's difficult to see anything but bigotry in the suggestion that someone would take on those hardships for something as petty as competitive advantage.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Yeah, we'll take care of that by transitioning 5 year olds!
Just let everyone compete, regardless of any restriction, in all sports so that there are no women specific sports programs. See what that does to participation by females.
Allowing men to compete in women's sports - even if they think they are female unicorns - is nonsense.
Look, I am correcting a fact not making a judgement on anything, just correcting an incorrect statement. Physically, boys and girl are pretty similar early on (actually girls have more muscle). That is why, many children that are born male - but have medical issues - are converted and live their lives as female. This happens with circumcisions gone wrong- rare but does happen. Or with boys born with abnormal penis development, etc.

So being born male does not give you an advantage. Going through puberty does and that advantage is huge in terms of muscle development.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
You also, either intentionally or out of ignorance, portrayed that person a having had gender reassignment surgery and/or cheating.

Which you were called out on, and apparently forgot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok point taken, I can admit my error, and didn't realize Squeaky had quoted me.

My comments for this thread I won't go back on.

I think people misunderstand this as being against sexual/gender preference, which is not. It is about competing at the same level. That's all I'm referring to.

I'm a pretty open minded person, but in essence, I see this as cheating.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Ok point taken, I can admit my error, and didn't realize Squeaky had quoted me.

My comments for this thread I won't go back on.

I think people misunderstand this as being against sexual/gender preference, which is not. It is about competing at the same level. That's all I'm referring to.

I'm a pretty open minded person, but in essence, I see this as cheating.
This is not cheating. That would imply this person is intentionally using this to get an upper hand on the competition, which I highly doubt. Is it not fair? Probably.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Look, I am correcting a fact not making a judgement on anything, just correcting an incorrect statement. Physically, boys and girl are pretty similar early on (actually girls have more muscle). That is why, many children that are born male - but have medical issues - are converted and live their lives as female. This happens with circumcisions gone wrong- rare but does happen. Or with boys born with abnormal penis development, etc.

So being born male does not give you an advantage. Going through puberty does and that advantage is huge in terms of muscle development.
That doesn't seem to be the case.

"This was a cross-sectional study involving 312 children (10.8 ± 0.4 years). The physical fitness assessment employed sets of aerobic fitness, strength, flexibility, speed, agility, and balance. The boys presented higher values in all selected tests, except tests of balance and flexibility, in which girls scored better. Gender differences in the physical fitness were greatest in the explosive strength "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22561975/

"Even during prepuberty, girls exhibited a
significantly higher amount of body fat and a significantly lower amount of lean body mass than their male counterparts."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAMegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2BT7oGN22P0TUJ15oEvoDt

·
Registered
858 Posts
Any Man that changes to a Woman, and then enters any sport which takes grit and muscle to win is a Wanker. Things like shooting, not so much.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
From the basis of this thread: Transgender folks should be disallowed to participate in sporting events?

How does a promoter advertise that "you" are not eligible to participate without being sued for something?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
If it's overt and allowed, it's not cheating.

Sanctioning organizations establish rules and categories to try to maximize opportunities to compete against similarly capable competitors. It seems they need to figure out what do about transgenders, but what?

Most all cheaters don't win. Only the best.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.